Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Impressions on SU8 (Beta)

55 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

The default prop effect is terrible.  They could do with looking at this in a future update. 
There are some beautiful aircraft produced for MSFS, visibly stunning, then they tack this awful prop animation on to them that looks like it is from FS2000 (actually, the prop anim from that might be better).
Not exactly a 'next-gen' effect is it?  Still, we have propwash effects now.  :rolleyes:

I use the faded prop anims available as I cannot stand the flickering. 

https://flightsim.to/file/3412/10-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-standard-edition

There are others if you search for them.  Makes it tolerable at least.  Unfortunately, as good as the JustFlight PA-28 series is, this puts me off flying them, as I can't find a prop fix for them yet.

PS.  As much as people criticise Carenado, they seem to use their own prop effect which is much better.  Shame this can't be applied to the rest of the aircraft in the sim.  If they can do it, surely others can.

They need to call up ED and perhaps ask them how they did this.....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

3 hours ago, rayharris108 said:

So my impressions of SU 8beta after a day or so using it - still testing though so not a final view.

Installation: Easy to install - no problems there.

Performance:  DX11 - more or less the same. Still getting stutters on panning at times doing approach. Smooth otherwise. About 35-45 on ground at medium airports (e.g. LIPB Beautiful Model of the World version) 50-60FPS  in the air, except in some high clouds - as before.

Performance DX12: Surprisingly good compared to pre SU8. Lower FPS, but smooth. Graphics card shows lower usage than DX11 and stutters on panning much less. Not sure whether it is still visibly much different colour or texture wise from DX11.

Weather: Clouds are definitely improved, and bad weather is much more threatening, to be much more careful of. Turbulence in clouds better and more obvious. Much better reduction in visibility. More clouds generally and better structures esp in storms, but still few if any stratiform clouds. Transition between METAR areas and regional weather is smoother, didn't notice any abrupt changes so far. Difference between weather around airports and regional is still fairly obvious - fog around an airport fades out around 10 miles out.. then annoying fluffy fair weather clouds (might be accurate of course?) I still need to test further. Snow: same poor coverage and automatic frozen lakes - to be fair that wasn't a feature of this update but badly needed.

New prop models: tried Caravan and King Air so far - now without any mods. I am not missing the mods - handling (esp rudder and ailerons) definitely improved and seems more dynamic with my TM HOTAS Warthog. Probably needs some refinement but I don't have a reference for the numbers to compare so far. Be good if someone has here.

Mods: Most of my other mods seem to work OK - NXi, CJ4, G3000 - not GX though in the KA of course. Shift Z, Bijan seasons, and Islands, most airports - so long as you have latest versions post SU7... Orbx and all Marketplace products.

Overall: Really pleased I decided to join Beta so far. It is an appreciable improvement from SU7, albeit WIP of course. Apologies if I missed anything major.

My system: i7 11700k @5GHz, GTX1080 ti FTW @1934MHz running at 1440p, 32Gb 3Mhz RAM, running 2Tb SSD: NVme M.2

ray

Thanks Ray.

The weather improvements put a smile on my face.

How is the tree slider working for you with Bijan's tree mod?

Jose

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

They need to call up ED and perhaps ask them how they did this.....

Wow!  Best prop effects I have ever seen!  I am sure Asobo would be capable of this if they set their mind to it.  

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, Claudius_ said:

the animation, the strobe effect is terrible and is killing my eyes.

You may have misinterpreted- they enhanced the prop dynamics, not the animation (that bit has room for improvement as others have mentioned).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

Thanks Ray.

The weather improvements put a smile on my face.

How is the tree slider working for you with Bijan's tree mod?

Jose

Hi Jose, 

There's no tree (Vegetation distance?) slider from what I can see in the update, if that's what you mean?

Bijan's tree mod is great and I run the trees setting on HIGH.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Why not make up your own mind? The install takes a few minutes and you can test it out for yourself. 

I think the warning was if you're install location is default you will likely have to reinstall for the public, so I think I will hold off on this one.  Are RT Traffic planes also taking off now, and are landed RT planes getting off the runway a little quicker in the Beta?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 minute ago, rayharris108 said:

Hi Jose, 

There's no tree (Vegetation distance?) slider from what I can see in the update, if that's what you mean?

Bijan's tree mod is great and I run the trees setting on HIGH.

There's no tree distance slider or height control? I thought that one was added.

Just now, DJJose said:

There's no tree distance slider or height control? I thought that one was added.

Not that I can see. Assume you've not opted into the Beta then?

2 minutes ago, rayharris108 said:

Not that I can see. Assume you've not opted into the Beta then?

No. I'm not that brave. 😀

6 hours ago, rayharris108 said:

Overall: Really pleased I decided to join Beta so far. It is an appreciable improvement from SU7, albeit WIP of course. Apologies if I missed anything major.

My system: i7 11700k @5GHz, GTX1080 ti FTW @1934MHz running at 1440p, 32Gb 3Mhz RAM, running 2Tb SSD: NVme M.2

ray

Has the 6 o'clock weather outage bug been fixed? 😶

Also has the 'loss of connection' in high dense areas been addressed?  

Are there any visual improvements in VR present (long shot as some don't have a VR headset). 

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

On 2/11/2022 at 9:18 AM, Bilal2104 said:

nigh lighting is finally fantastic, pitch black and felt i was actually flying at night rather then a bright sky most of the time.

I'm curious to know what exactly they done in this change? An improvement to lighting is always a big welcome, especially at night. IN SU7 the night lighting has improved drastically over the previous sim updates and I'm very happy that they are continuing on making improvements.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 minute ago, captain420 said:

I'm curious to know what exactly they done in this change? An improvement to lighting is always a big welcome, especially at night. IN SU7 the night lighting has improved drastically over the previous sim updates and I'm very happy that they are continuing on making improvements.

i found the night lighting prior to this update light if that makes sense. it really never felt pitch black just bright taking away the experience. now with this beta update its pitch black i can barely see the wingtip unless the beacon flashes over it. 

• Like 2

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

We really do need the eye adaptation issue addressed to brighten up in-cockpit lighting.  Hopefully soon...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X