Sign in to follow this  
Republic DC9

A Fool And His Money...or, MSFS runs great on an old PC

Let me see if I understand this.  It's okay to spend $25,000 to $40,000 on a car and take five or six years to pay for it, and just to drive to work and the grocery store and and maybe a trip now and then.  But it's foolish to spend $1000 to $2000 on a computer that you use every day and get tons of enjoyment from. 

(I know, to our lady friend above the is men rationalizing their toys)  I'm guilty. 🙂

Roy

• Like 4

My old Haswell and 1080ti ran MSFS fine I just wanted more performance. I got a new one with a 3080 in it and faster drives and the performance is stellar. But was it worth the price is debatable! For me yes as I'm running it in 4K on a 48" OLED and get great frames and performance with not much to complain about, but on the old system it would choke, and frames would tank to 10 or 12 in dence areas.   Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I am on a 14 year old rig running MSFS just fine.

• Core i7 920 @ 3.5Ghz (1st gen Nehalem)
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • 12GB DDR3
  • Windows 10 Professional

This fact constantly shocks me because FS9 and FSX on this very same rig ran like MS PowerPoint. Single digit FPS in FSX was not uncommon for me. Utter misery.

All graphics settings are on High with a few on Med. Photogrametry is disabled, never been a fan of it anyway. If I stay away from dense metro areas (again not an issue for me as I use the game only for low and slow back country flying) I can get 40FPS easy. It never drops below 20 if I happen to go to a demanding area (its addons that cause this usually, detailed airports).

Unbelievably this faithful old crate is still giving me hours of fun with the latest and greatest. I also run XP11 on it and will run XP12. All the other big games run fine on it too like Assassins Creed Odyssey, Far Cry 5, GR Breakpoint etc.  Really MS & Asobo are to be commended that this amazing new title is running so well on old hardware.

So - if like me you dont have the cash to splash on a modern gaming monster rig give your current one a try, you might be surprised!

• Like 4

The true agenda behind these threads is to sell more copies by Microsoft and co. They need as many people able to run the sim as soon as possible. Tell them how great it runs on older PCs and XBOX, no upgrade required. Don't mention or acknowledge how they had to downgrade graphics, newcomers won't know the difference. Ignore requests for further advancements for as long as possible. Parity must remain between platforms and say it's already better than flight sim X. Call those wanting better fools or other names and mock them and their wishes any chance you get. Profit.

27 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

The true agenda behind these threads is to sell more copies by Microsoft and co. They need as many people able to run the sim as soon as possible. Tell them how great it runs on older PCs and XBOX, no upgrade required. Don't mention or acknowledge how they had to downgrade graphics, newcomers won't know the difference. Ignore requests for further advancements for as long as possible. Parity must remain between platforms and say it's already better than flight sim X. Call those wanting better fools or other names and mock them and their wishes any chance you get. Profit.

and your agenda is to point it out. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

40 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

The true agenda behind these threads

I guess someone took a page out of W.P.'s playbook. 🙄

Though I have plenty more firepower elsewhere, most of my time in MSFS is spent on a 1070 max q and I've no complaints at all. 

VR is where you really need the grunt, and since the hardware still isn't powerful enough to run it the way I want it there's no point in upgrading. Or firing up the more powerful stuff I have now.