Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

I'm stumped... MSFS says installed but is not

New PC.  How to install the sim?  Both Windows store and Xbox app say MSFS is installed but it is not.  There are a few files on my disk drive like the root folder etc.  The blue bar on the windows store basically froze and didn't move at all.

I've tried logging out of xbox and windows store app as well.

Going to try to "uninstall" it reboot and install again...

No joy...just made matters worse with a new install folder hehe

B:\MSFS\Microsoft Flight Simulator_1\Content

Inside of Content I do have what appears to be the initial install folders like languages, Packages, Inputs, Resources, Shaders etc etc

Pressing PLAY on the windows store button or the xbox app does nothing however.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hello,

A and B drive letters are used for floppy drives. You can still buy Usb floppy drives today ...
Try using D:, E, ... up to Z:\ for your fs 2020 partition.

If it does not work :
Erase your MSFS folders,

If you are familiar with regedit run it, remove all MSFS keys and reinstall  Ms Fs.
If not familiar with regedit, clean the registry with Ccleaner and reinstall FS 2020

Good luck !!

• Like 1

If you own the Microsoft Store version of MSFS, do a clean uninstall and re-install: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016107019-Microsoft-Store-version-How-to-repair-or-remove-and-do-a-clean-install-of-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator (skip the part on repair on that page, just go down to the "HOW TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL" section)

You might have some registry settings so MSFS think's it's installed when it is not. As ctdlg mentioned, A drive and B drive historically have been reserved for floppy drives so I don't know why B drive is referenced.

As for messing with registry settings, that is a last resort, IMO.  I would try to do a clean uninstall and a clean re-install before messing with registry settings.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Ryan: were you able to clear this issue? I have a similar problem with SU8 - MS Store says MSFS is updated (...but it is not). I am considering to uninstall/reinstall MSFS.

Never had this problem in any SU before!

Edmundo Azevedo

Hi Ryan, 

Have you tried creating a new local windows user account on your PC and then installing under this account?  If it works, you may be able to copy the install across to your original account.

P.S. Although the below info probably not related to your case,

If anyone discovers they can't change Xbox accounts with their MSFS install - from my experience with two msfs licenses and two Xbox accounts, the Xbox account binds itself to whichever local windows account was being used at the time the sim was first run and can't be changed without contacting MS. The solution is to install MSFS under a different local user account on the same PC

Edited by dogmanbird

I uninstalled MSFS and now I cannot reinstall it! It gives error 0x00000001 and fails installation. Any suggestions please? 

Edmundo Azevedo

I never uninstall any program without iObit uninstaller. It erases every single registry reference to the program that is being uninstalled. I've used it for years. The free version.

So far I've never seen any program completely uninstall from the registry without using iObit. They always leave references behind in the registry.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

14 minutes ago, ega said:

I uninstalled MSFS and now I cannot reinstall it! It gives error 0x00000001 and fails installation. Any suggestions please? 

try installing using a different windows account

Sometimes i manually uninstall "lite" iprograms myself, but iff i seriously want everything out i use iObit uninstaller also.

Still having issues.  But I have to work so I won't be able to try it again for another probably 12 hours or so

My old PC had A and B drives without issue.

I will try a clean install.  Uninstall still left an old folder with one file so they're probably still registry files remaining

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, ega said:

Yours might be this?

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405748712338-Game-Pass-Error-0x00000001

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

What a nightmare! I ended up reinstalling Windows 10. Now MSFS downloads but at the ned (100% download)  an error shoes up: 0x8700017

I definitely cannot install MSFS!! 

Shall I first install the Standard version, run the sim, and from Content Manager install the upgrade to the Premium? 

Edmundo Azevedo

7 minutes ago, ega said:

What a nightmare! I ended up reinstalling Windows 10. Now MSFS downloads but at the ned (100% download)  an error shoes up: 0x8700017

I definitely cannot install MSFS!! 

Shall I first install the Standard version, run the sim, and from Content Manager install the upgrade to the Premium? 

I feel bad that this has happened to you.  Frankly, MSFS has the WORST installer/updater I've ever seen in 30+ years of software.  

I might be in the same boat as you.  

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Sorry for you guys but SU8 went smooth as glass for me for a change.

Thing I always do is ensure Windows 10 has all its updates along with all the Windows store apps.  This time it installed the XBOX Gaming Provisioning Tool that looked important.  Reboots along the way are needed.

Also I uninstall MSFS (rename my custom install folder first) and do a disk cleanup before doing a reinstall from the XBOX  app.

Good luck.

ns

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER