Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Are you playing the Reno Air Races ? What could be improved

I still want to believe that the upcoming updates, starting SU9, for the flight dynamics, separating it more from the Legacy corset, can bring some really interesting races.

Setting different levels of difficulty that could allow for "Arcade" or  "Heavy Simmer" modes, could please all sorts of players.

I look fwd into the P51d and the variant I bought yesterday for 10 bucks with the new prop and CFD flight dynamics implemented.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think the problem is an extension of non-closed multiplayer in the main sim. You don't get to pick the skill/knowledge level of the people you're flying with. In the races, it just means you always win without challenge. In the main sim, it means you're dealing with idiots parking a 747 on the runway at St. Bart's. 

I'm not sure how you'd solve for that either. In a sense, the online aspect is an MMO covering the entire world. It'd be pretty hard to get GMs to be able to cover all the problems. But implementing a kick system where we could boot the dope in the jetliner who won't stop blocking the small airports with it is just asking for abuse as well, because trolls would then kick people out just for laughs.

I ended up turning multiplayer off entirely. I don't begrudge the goof-offs their version of fun and, hey, if I'm honest I've been known to try to land the Lear on a carrier in previous versions of the sim myself. So I'm not immune to doing stupid stuff in airplanes in a video game. But it got frustrating after doing a cross-country in the Airbus being unable to land because someone decided to spawn on the runway and then sit there for half an hour. 

For the same frustrating reasons, I find myself not messing with the air races much since the first few days I had it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

Well, also MS/Asobo will once also learn that only the "old guys" already into simming for years are the ones that will also keep MSFS up and running by buying addons over and over again. Not the hop-on/hop-off console generation. It is nice to gain some real simmers by also offering MSFS on Xbox and providing them some "gaming" stuff, but on a long term scale? No. 

Absolutely--and some, even if it's just 2% in the console sector that get smitten and move into the group of folks who just love flight simming for its own sake w/o the gimmics like air racing--as 2% of 2,000,000 MSFS console users (or whatever it becomes over time) comes out to 40,000 more sustained users who will become meaningful in terms of supporting sales of 3rd party addon etc.  I'm not convinced this was not already appreciated by MS when they decided to include the port to Xbox, and so may well have been part of the sustainability plan for this project.  After all MS is not exactly inexperienced in developing flight sims and they've undoubtedly understood the marketing issues and what it will take to sustain it more than you and I.  Perhaps at some point post maturation they will start charging for air time. I can imagine where the sim will be in say 2 years, considering where it's come thus far, I can easily see needing to pay a monthly subscription to stay on board.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Totally agree, those 2% might be worth the whole console stuff also for us "long time simmers". Young blood is always good, but it is a thin line to focus too much on those fast pacing customer group...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

7 hours ago, Scimiter said:

I found it great fun at first, but it is very repetitive, What I disliked was you could be leading a race but then get rammed from the back and find yourself last, very frustrating.

rammed in the back then find yourself last?

Top quality flight model then 😁

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

In air racing wouldn’t you find yourself dead if you get rammed?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Total Flop!  Just Kidding!........lol   Anyway, anyone remember a game called "Gee Bee Air Rally"  By Activision back in the late 1980's for the Amiga PC?  That's what this reminded me of. I played that game for hours.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, regis9 said:

In air racing wouldn’t you find yourself dead if you get rammed?

I totaly agree.

Entry level simmers:

In MSFS your PC or Xbox should lock for 6 months after an outside view, pause or when you answer the phone or door bell.

Study level:

Buy new PC and new MSFS license after 1 hard landing.

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Quickly Lost interest during the beta and never went back.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

I did not think I would like it as i generally hate games on computers.

But I found it fun about 10 sessions in the first few weeks, then I got bored and have not been back more than once or twice, and not for more than one race.

I find regular simming is more entertaining, but I am an old retired pilot, not a young hotshot.

Over all I think it is well done. But for me it gets boring.

Not a flop, just not very interesting to me. I also don't like VR yet. I do use track IR sometimes. I think VR is the perfect way to experience these races. I just need VR to get better. Then I will try again.

Edited by 177B

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

10 hours ago, jcomm said:

I believe the tittle success will probably give MS a sign of what the great majority of MFS users want from the game, although I admit I am fond of air races ... although not with the flight dynamics that are presently available for the different aircraft.

Also, for such a tittle, having an online Lobby List would be useful...

Well, if it's been a failure, I guess you could say it's gone tittles up!🤭

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I also tried it a few times.  Was fun, but havent really been back.

Ironically part the reason I lost interest is that it ONLY covers the actual race.  Speaking just for me, I would have loved to actually be able to start a race "cold and dark", taxi to the active, take off and navigate to the track.  THEN race.  And then actually return and land once the race is over.

I realize this might have been a pain from a programming standpoint, but this IS a flight sim audience afterall.  Asobo... read the room 😉  

(cough.. even if, perhaps, I'm the only person in said room)

9 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

How would that help?

Because it would give some people even more excuse to say MSFS is "really just a game for those inferior Xboxers"🤨

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

As a tube liner guy, I don't want anything in this sim to flop. I'd rather give constructive criticism like many in this thread have already done (more "tracks" to race in, an option for cold and dark, maybe different weather, anything). Why? I want as many people in this sim as possible. As long as ASOBO/MS are making money, they will keep enhancing and updating the sim. I don't want to be orphaned again like FSX after acceleration or FLIGHT.

Let them have their air race, as long as I get accurate weather, updates to the SDK (to support devs that enhance my style of flying), etc...

• Like 4

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Confirmation bias thread?

Maybe just ask MS how its doing. (Unless you think they might lie)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5