Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

SU9 beta live, release notes

I was not dissing Neil. He's one of my heros. However, he was inputting a command during the landing that overloaded the computer. He did it in the simulator exactly the same way over and over before the flight. The real flight computer was acting different because of the "extra" radar data  than the one in the simulator and they had no idea that him entering the command was causing the problem (which as you stated was exasperated by the extra AGC data). He rebooted the computer and entered the same commands again, and got the same result. Then, he hand flew it to landing.

Okay. I DID make an error. It was Buzz Aldrin, not Neil that entered verb 16, noun 68 into the computer 2 times. And it was clearly a bug, as it allowed the user to start job number 8 on a computer capable of running only 7.

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

Still no mention of full seasons and the fix for snow on runways…Sigh

Chris Camp

4 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

and the fix for snow on runways

Because they don't see it as completely broken. It sounds like it might be worked on in the future.

Will snow be removed from runways of large international airports? In real life, runways are kept clear of snow. - Timestamp

Seb - Currently, snow is entirely procedural. Depending on the runway, if it is too thick, it even holds on runways. It is supposed to be like snow that has been rolled over/flattened. We have not tuned airport-by-airport: We did a global snow layer tuning and some airports have a lot more because it’s the way the runway looks. We simulated that dark surfaces receive more heat from the sun, and from the environment in general, so snow melts faster on dark surfaces. So airports with very bright runways (sometimes because it’s not tarmac but concrete) or just because the aerial is brighter, they will have more snow. So that’s something we need to rework to get runways completely without snow. I would say that’s only true on large airports. On our small airfield, when it snows, they don’t. They don’t immediately remove the snow, or even at all.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

Funny that they obviously think a lot about snow coverage yet they seem to be unable to realize that the whole snow coverage situation is ridiculous with using only the lowest possible resolution map from meteoblue snow coverage resulting in ridiculous snow coverage situations in some parts of the world, e.g. Southern Island of NZ, whole Alps region and up north in the Scandinavian countries (just to name some).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I totally get the snow on runways being a real pain and immersion killer, but more important I feel, is to deal with the poor resolution of snow cover as as whole. 

Would it be possible to have a snow line slider, where we could set our own snow line 0C altitude, or even better, high resolution mapping of snow cover from Metoblue. If you zoom in enough it is pretty accurate.

It has improved somewhat in MSFS but not enough. So if you get a snow shower overnight above 2,500-3000m in June in the Alps, when it's 25C in Innsbruck for example (far from uncommon) it looks like -20C at LOWI complete with frozen snow covered runways. That really tees me off and it happens a lot in the Alps in summer months (and elsewhere of course).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rayharris108 said:

... but more important I feel, is to deal with the poor resolution of snow cover as as whole. 

Exactly, using the lowest provided resolution of the snow coverage map from Meteoblue will always result in some regions with totally wrong snow coverage. As of now, we had quiet a lot of snow in Switzerland over the last few days, now everything is melting off pretty fast in lower areas, yet the snow coverage blob on meteoblue snow coverage still covers almost the entire alps. Plain wrong. Same goes for this obviously all-time existent snow coverage blop on the Southern Island of NZ around Mt. Cook. Sure, above a certain altitude both Alps will have snow even in summer, but for sure not in the lower valleys etc. Simple fact that the currently used resolution is unable to take such "details" into account. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I can't understand this "snow coverage problem", FS20 it's a flight simulator, not a snow simulator, and the snow coverage in a sim is there just indicating the live weather conditions. FS20 is an excellent and very complex flight simulator, a lot of good work has be done, and a lot of things have to be improved/added, so I can't understand some absurd picky critical observations.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

39 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

I can't understand this "snow coverage problem", FS20 it's a flight simulator, not a snow simulator, and the snow coverage in a sim is there just indicating the live weather conditions. FS20 is an excellent and very complex flight simulator, a lot of good work has be done, and a lot of things have to be improved/added, so I can't understand some absurd picky critical observations.

And I can't understand the ignorance of some simmers not recognizing the snow coverage being an issue in some parts of the world... Happy you if you never fly with "live weather", but that is (and was) always one essential thingy for me in flightsims. And nothing could be more immersion killing than having a lush, green landscape with wonderful turqouise blue lakes and if you hop into your sim and switch on live weather, everything is covered in snow and the lakes are frozen...

Greetings, Chris

1 hour ago, Claudius_ said:

I'm not saying it's game-breaking, but not seeing the runway can be quite a problem for a very complex flight simulator, don't you think so?
MSFS isn't a cloud simulator, airport simulator, propeller simulator, sunrise and sunset simulator, FPS simulator, terrain simulator either ... and STILL somehow people care about those picky things. How is that?

• Like 1

At LOWI during approach phase i couldn't see runway with sunlight reflection on totally snow covered runway, i had to go around. Not realistic. 

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

19 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The weather has been improved, notably there is no banding or pixilation on nearby clouds. I'm testing the new flight model on the C172 G1000 which currently has a wobble in roll when on autopilot.

Those clouds look delicious! I hope they don't mess with them again unless it's further improvement. Too bad about the wobble tho. Hopefully they can sort it  out in time for full release.

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

Funny that they obviously think a lot about snow coverage yet they seem to be unable to realize that the whole snow coverage situation is ridiculous with using only the lowest possible resolution map from meteoblue snow coverage resulting in ridiculous snow coverage situations in some parts of the world, e.g. Southern Island of NZ, whole Alps region and up north in the Scandinavian countries (just to name some).

Exactly!

Wasn't Seasons 2nd on the Aboso, "To-Do" list after VR implementation?

Chris Camp

3 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

I'm not saying it's game-breaking, but not seeing the runway can be quite a problem for a very complex flight simulator, don't you think so?

I use a combination of Bijan's 4-seasons pack and the Zinertek Enhanced Airport Graphics add-on and the runways generally look very good in snow conditions.  These are payware mods, but might be a viable option for those bothered by snow covered runways.

Edited by PlumCrazy
  • Upvote 2