Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Scientists can reverse aging in mice.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

I'd like to respond to that but I'm afraid the response would be blocked.

Noel

😁

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

As medical technology advances it should become cheaper and cheaper.

I have this bridge in Brooklyn for sale. You may want to look at it...............

Edited by W2DR

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

10 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I have this bridge in Brooklyn for sale. You may want to look at it...............

Hey, I'll trade you my beautiful ocean front property in New Mexico for your bridge!  😝

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Only if you throw in the entrance to the underground highway that runs from Roswell to Wright Patterson AFB (that's the road that was used to transport the alien spaceship for reverse engineering). 

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

10 hours ago, W2DR said:

You are looking at it from a US perspective. Where you need a mortgage for an Aspirin. US isn't the entire world. 😄

My point, is that the work David Sinclair is doing doesn't point to highly complex therapies. Thus, in an environment where you arent being taken advantage of, you won't need to be a millionaire.

Even simple cheap  drugs currently available are showing promise.

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

You are looking at it from a US perspective. Where you need a mortgage for an Aspirin. US isn't the entire world. 

I'm on Medicare and Tricare for Life (The military retirement healthcare supplement.)  Tricare pays for co-pays left after Medicare pays the bills.  I haven't had to pay for anything in the 28 years I've been retired frm the Air Force.  They even paid for the 200 mile helicopter trip to transport me to Las Cruces to have my gall bladder removed.

But a few months ago I got a bill from the hospital where I went to the emergency room for a severe ear ache.  They put some drops in my ear and gave me a Tylenol pill.  The bill was for $179.00.  And when I called them I asked what it was for and they just told me it was an item Medicare wouldn't pay for.  I told them I wouldn't pay it unless I knew what it was for.

So they sent it to a collection agency.  I told them the same thing; I'm not going to pay it unless I know what it was for.

That was a couple of months ago.  I haven't heard back.  I did find out it was for an 800mg Tylenol pill they gave me when I left.  I looked up the price of an 800mg Tylenol and it is 8 1/2 cents. 

I don't know what the outcome of this will be, but I doubt the hospital wants to publicize they are charging 170.00 for an 8 1/2 cent pill.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

8 minutes ago, birdguy said:

That was a couple of months ago.  I haven't heard back.  I did find out it was for an 800mg Tylenol pill they gave me when I left.  I looked up the price of an 800mg Tylenol and it is 8 1/2 cents. 

Yep, you guys pay an absolute fortune for medication in the US. Recently I recall that 3 US drug companies were sued for extortionate insulin prices. 

10 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, you guys pay an absolute fortune for medication in the US. Recently I recall that 3 US drug companies were sued for extortionate insulin prices. 

One vial of insulin costs around $2 to just over $6 to produce depending on the specific type.. The drug companies charge up to a 1000% markup! Thank goodness the VA supplies my medications with zero co-pay. I'd have been dead nine years ago otherwise... 

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, n4gix said:

One vial of insulin costs around $2 to just over $6 to produce depending on the specific type.. The drug companies charge up to a 1000% markup! Thank goodness the VA supplies my medications with zero co-pay. I'd have been dead nine years ago otherwise... 

No NHS in Guernsey, but the authorities do help out. And of course NHS where I used to reside in the UK.

I feel for you guys in the US, utterly unacceptable situation and in my opinion criminal.

Edited by martin-w

On 6/3/2022 at 11:33 AM, HiFlyer said:

The goal is to do the same for humans....

Ahem! Usually, at about this juncture somebody steps up to mention that they don't want to live forever..... (gods plan, etc)

Which I usually point out is an opinion that will naturally take care of itself..... 🤔

220527142801-reverse-aging-life-itself-s

"Scientists can reverse aging in mice".

Uh, no. That's fake news, I'm afraid.

From your CNN article: "In Sinclair's lab, two mice sit side by side. One is the picture of youth, the other gray and feeble. Yet they are brother and sister, born from the same litter -- only one has been genetically altered to age faster. If that could be done, Sinclair asked his team, could the reverse be accomplished as well?"

So your mad scientist friends worked out how to make mice age faster. Really useful I guess - maybe a better alternative to mouse traps?

Then there's the actual research that this trash-quality CNN article is based on: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33268865/ (warning: the journal is Nature. It may make some of your brains hurt.)

Did this Sinclair guy actually manage to make immortal mice that will live forever and maybe get the chance to travel to Alpha Centauri on mouse spaceships?

Nope. What he actually did was get some poor, harmless mice and then CRUSH THEIR OPTIC NERVES. And then played with their epigenetics to show that he could heal their optic nerves FROM THE INJURY THAT HE CAUSED a tiny little bit quicker.

So if you have a pet mouse, and you decide to crush its optic nerve one day in a fit of pique, and then you later regret this hasty and malicious action, you can try some OSK-induced epigenetic programming to try and make the poor creature see a little bit better again.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

MIcky: "Happy 94th"!

Minnie: "Tee hee".

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

So if you have a pet mouse, and you decide to crush its optic nerve one day in a fit of pique, and then you later regret this hasty and malicious action, you can try some OSK-induced epigenetic programming to try and make the poor creature see a little bit better again.

I was actually expecting a post like this a bit earlier.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I was actually expecting a post like this a bit earlier.

You were expecting a post on using OSK-induced epigenetic programming to fix the crushed optic nerve of your pet mouse??

That’s an oddly specific thing to be expecting on an aviation forum!

😉

• Like 1

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

You were expecting a post on using OSK-induced epigenetic programming to fix the crushed optic nerve of your pet mouse??

That’s an oddly specific thing to be expecting on an aviation forum!

😉

I was expecting somebody to come along and repudiate the article.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

MIcky: "Happy 94th"!

Minnie: "Tee hee".

spacer.png

Micky: “Happy 4th!”

Minnie: “Micky? Is that you? I can’t word not allowed see you! Some crazy word not allowed scientist with a pair of pliers just pulled my eyes out and crushed the optic nerves.” 😞

Micky: “Maybe we can do something with DNA demethylases to partially restore your sight…”

Minnie: “Will that make me live forever?”

Micky: “Lol, no!”

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 1

Oz