Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

My guess due to the stability of the current release (at least on my system) is that they have moved on and are working on v6. My hope is they continue to improve Truesky and the overall lighting. Evening and night flying is very unrealistic in many conditions. I hate to compare but this is where MSFS has a huge advantage. But again I hope V6 puts up a good fight in this department.

• Upvote 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I really hate to point fingers, but now I have to ask jfri: you say P3D is unstable - that is of course on YOUR system.

And that generates more questions: what P3D version what OS version, what system specs, and what have you done so far to fix the situation?

One thing is certain, and you can take this to the bank: if you just sit back and say "It is unstable", then absolutely nothing is going to happen. You have to put in a little effort....

Jorgen

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TurboKen said:

hate to compare but this is where MSFS has a huge advantage. But again I hope V6 puts up a good fight in this department.

Let's just hope that all reputable 3rd party developers will support this 'project' - otherwise I see a very dark future for p3d !

Everything depends on the available add-ons...

• Like 1

kind regards, ggerolamo

spacer.png                       spacer.png

22 hours ago, FrankSalo said:

However the silence on their forums and one of their beta testers, a prominent in the community, not just stepping away from flight sim but selling his gear does not give me much hope for their direction.  

Yikes, I'm guessing you are referring to Rob?  That's a big loss for the p3d community if that is the case.

Orman

6 hours ago, jorgensandersen said:

I really hate to point fingers, but now I have to ask jfri: you say P3D is unstable - that is of course on YOUR system.

And that generates more questions: what P3D version what OS version, what system specs, and what have you done so far to fix the situation?

One thing is certain, and you can take this to the bank: if you just sit back and say "It is unstable", then absolutely nothing is going to happen. You have to put in a little effort....

Jorgen

Yes I clearly said that my experience is that it is more unstable than MSFS.

My P3D version is the latest P3D 5.3 HF2 and I have Windows 10. My system specs are CPU 4770K @4.5 Ghz RAM 16 Gb 2200 MHz NVIDIA 2070 Super and I fly in VR with a HP Reverb G2.

i don't get it, I have x-plane-11 on one m.2 nvme drive, P3d v5.3 on another m.2 nvme drive, and MSFS on an m.2 nvme drive. I use X-plane 11 and P3d v5 for more hardcore flight simming, not to mention the several thousands i have spent on pmdg, flight sim labs,flight factor, rotate, and the list goes on and on. I play MSFS if i want to fly low and slow. In my mind a flight sim that is available on xbox and playstation just won't reach the complex add-ons that P3D and x-plane has because it has to be dumbed down to work on consoles. You will never see X-plane or P3d on console because it's just more life like when it comes to dynamics Ect.. My opinion anything that can be played with an xbox controller is not a complex flight sim. With that said, I have had a lot of fun flying in MSFS. The visuals are amazing and can be hours of fun. What happens when microsoft starts losing money and those streaming servers get shut down? I like knowing i can finish my flight without having an internet connection. Maybe Msfs will be around for 10 years, But i can guarantee x-plane will be.All i have read is one person trashing another because they won't use the sim that the other thinks is so much better. I have been flying since fs 2004 and as far as learning, I Had just as much fun learning in fs2004 as i have had in x-plane and P3d. Why are people forcing opinions about MSFS in a P3d forum? For the ones that say they can't get P3D stable to enjoy a good flight haven't been around long enough to use P3d and the learning curve that comes with a commercial flight sim. Msfs has potential, And when PMDG  has a 777 or 747 for MSFS, I will probably spend more time with Msfs. I am just going by MSFS history. The last time we had an amazing sim from MS was fsx and it was abandoned. I don't want to spend a fortune and MSFS close up shop again. I will stick with X-plane and P3d for the expensive planes, Because most likely they will be around, long after MSFS loses sales and they close up. I hope we continue to have options for flying, but i don't see it happening.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

YEs I agree. .  The fact that  a couple of very interactive testers/Dean have gone silent on this forum for P3D I think says a lot. I’ve also seen LM being more available on social media, More active on YT than they have been in the past and their website More frequently being updated recently. I believe things are on the horizon from them for flight simulation. 

14 hours ago, jfri said:

Yes I clearly said that my experience is that it is more unstable than MSFS.

My P3D version is the latest P3D 5.3 HF2 and I have Windows 10. My system specs are CPU 4770K @4.5 Ghz RAM 16 Gb 2200 MHz NVIDIA 2070 Super and I fly in VR with a HP Reverb G2.

So, what have you actually done to make P3D more stable? Have you posted your issues anywhere, and if so, what was the outcome?

When you say "unstable", I am assuming you mean it crashes on you.

The I notice that you fly in VR. I don't do that myself, but have read enough about it to know that VR is really a CPU hog, sitting on top of another CPU hog - P3D. So I doubt that 4.5 GHz is fast enough.....

Jorgen

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jorgensandersen said:

So, what have you actually done to make P3D more stable? Have you posted your issues anywhere, and if so, what was the outcome?

When you say "unstable", I am assuming you mean it crashes on you.

The I notice that you fly in VR. I don't do that myself, but have read enough about it to know that VR is really a CPU hog, sitting on top of another CPU hog - P3D. So I doubt that 4.5 GHz is fast enough.....

Jorgen

Is it not rather a GPU hog it is since it must display many more pixels ? Also I see my GPU loaded more than than the CPU.
But I can tell that the crashes has been the VR failing.
I do plan to upgrade my mobo and cpu later so maybe P3D will run better then

13 hours ago, adam77 said:

The fact that  a couple of very interactive testers/Dean have gone silent on this forum for P3D I think says a lot.

Yes. The only reasonable conclusion is that P3D has reached perfection and their work is done. Something this thread will never be. Probably time to just pin at the top.

With that being said....do you, folks. imply that this is the end of the road for P3D? 

21 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

the end of the road

This is subjective. When was the end of the road for FS9 or FSX? For some it's when developers stop producing for it, but for others these simulators continue to be enjoyed by many. Still, there are some developers that so far have either products in their queues or modification/enhancements, i.e., iFly, PMDG, FSLabs, etc. So, on the developer side and on the enjoyment side I would say it isn't the end of the road for P3D yet. Clearly it isn't the end of the road for discussions about being the end of the road. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Before pulling a death shroud over P3D, what was the time frame between V4.5 and V5? Is it possible, that they are doing a complete re-build for V6?

May 2017 and May 2020...I see your point - let's wait them until May 2023 🙂

1 hour ago, David Vega said:

Clearly it isn't the end of the road for discussions about being the end of the road.

Well, it's been half a year since this thread started. No, wait. It only seems that long. Some roads don't end, they just sort of trickle off into the woods by the river where guys with tattoos are cooking meth. Yes, that was weirdly specific and no, I won't answer questions.