Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

PMDG 737: graphics and fps

Hi,

Sorry I have not had the courage to dig in all the 737 threads.

I have 2 questions:

1. Graphics: regarding the VC, would you say that the graphics are a LITTLE bit improved or MUCH improved compared to the P3D version? I'm especially interested in the textures, PFD and gauges: clarity, crispness, legibility fluidity of display, etc. I don't care about the passengers cabin and I already know that the external model is excellent

2. FPS: my specs are i5 4670K 4.3 Ghz l RAM 32 Gb l GTX 1080 l 2K G-Sync monitor and I achieve 30-40 fps in GA aircrafts. I wonder if my system will be able to run the 737 with decent framerate without lowering too much the graphics sliders.

Thanks.

- TONY -

5 minutes ago, Simicro said:

2. FPS: my specs are i5 4670K 4.3 Ghz l RAM 32 Gb l GTX 1080 l 2K G-Sync monitor and I achieve 30-40 fps in GA aircrafts. I wonder if my system will be able to run the 737 with decent framerate without lowering too much the graphics sliders.

I didn't own the P3D version, so I'll just address your second question. My computer specs are very similar to yours except I have the 1070 instead of the 1080. As for FPS, I've been especially pleased with the PMDG 737. You'll pretty much get whatever FPS you're currently getting with any of the default aircraft. No better and no worse. I haven't dumbed down my graphics settings at all for the PMDG.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I have a similar spec/vintage machine to yourself, and have no issues with fps with the PMDG 737. Most of my settings are High and I haven't had to make any adjustments for the aircraft, my frame rate is internally locked at 30 and I'm pretty much able to maintain that in most scenarios. I would say this is a very easy aircraft on performance, which is surprising.

The VC texturing is pretty spot on, I'd say its better than the P3D one and pretty on-par with what we have come to expect from MSFS aircraft now. It certainly doesn't disappoint.

• Like 3

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

20 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1. Graphics: regarding the VC, would you say that the graphics are a LITTLE bit improved or MUCH improved compared to the P3D version? I'm especially interested in the textures, PFD and gauges: clarity, crispness, legibility fluidity of display, etc. I don't care about the passengers cabin and I already know that the external model is excellent

Thanks.

Yes, as David said, most of us find the performance surpringly easy going.  I too have a very similar system to yours (your CPU is a little faster, my 1080 is a Ti model).  I have perfect, fluid simulation in the 737.   Around 35-40 FPS but it's smooth and stable.

On the textures - this one is more contentious.  Although they are rendered in the MSFS engine, which adds a certain sheen or enhancement to things, I have to say that I find the VC textures just a little disappointing. They could be sharper and a little more high fidelity (I'm not referring to tex resolution settings in MSFS either; but the source textures in the aircraft's folder.   Very usable and pleasant environment but an area that could perhaps be improved.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

3 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

The VC texturing is pretty spot on, I'd say its better than the P3D one and pretty on-par with what we have come to expect from MSFS aircraft now. It certainly doesn't disappoint.

I would agree with that. Until you start flying at night, then it blows P3D away IMHO..... especially since the frame rate doesn't completely bog down at night even in weather....

G

• Like 3

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

18 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

Thanks.

1. The graphics themselves are a little bit improved (it was already pretty good in P3D), but the VC looks vastly better because of the MSFS lighting. PFD and gauges I think are the same level of quality as in P3D. Didn't notice any problem with them in P3D either in regards to legitbility, so...

2. Yes it will absolutely run well. Of course FPS depend on where you fly with how much scenery and how much AI traffic... but in general it's a very good performance for a study level airliner.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Before you hit the buy button, go to youtube and compare Fenix A320 texturing to what PMDG offers - compare and contrast and come to your own conclusion. A few days ago, I posted a link to a "walkaround" video of the PMDG. As I said, make up your own mind. 

Edited by Ricardo41

6 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Before you hit the buy button, go to youtube and compare Fenix A320 texturing to what PMDG offers - compare and contrast and come to your own conclusion. A few days ago, I posted a link to a "walkaround" video of the PMDG. As I said, make up your own mind. 

Swings and roundabouts. The Fenix performs at up to 10fps less than the PMDG, so I guess it's what's most important to you.

• Like 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

Thanks.

Depends...

What settings are you running the game at to get those FPS and are you at 100% AI AC and flying in/out of3rd party large Airports?

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

I see you're interested in the VC textures, but since the external textures have been mentioned, it's fair to point out that these will be updated and improved.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

As I mentioned above, I didn't own the P3D version. But in comparing the clarity of the cockpit panels to the default MSFS aircraft panels: the text in the PMDG displays is much easier for me to read than, say, the Longitude (which I love) or the Cessna 172. Because I suffer very poor vision, the enhanced clarity of the PMDG display was the first thing I noticed and appreciated about the new 737.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Thank you all for the great replies. Much appreciated! My synthesis is that:

• Overall everybody is happy with the PMDG 737
  • The graphics are on par with the P3D version or a little bit improved, but can be sharper and a little more high fidelity
  • FPS wise, there is no noticeable impact. Kudos to PMDG who met the challenge to make a simulation running smoothly on old/vintage rigs. And the same to Asobo since PMDG has probably leveraged on the native fluid property of MSFS

Thanks again to all, my questions have been answered.

At this time, having the P3D version of the 737 and many payware sceneries, the whole still providing to me a consistent, immersive and enjoyable flying experience, I think I will wait some time before hitting the Buy button for the MSFS version.
(I also want to see if there will be some significant improvements for the PMDG 777. Yes I know, it's not going to be released before next year).

• Like 2

- TONY -