Sign in to follow this  
Frag

Anyone tried the mod to use google map instead of Bing?

Holy freaking hell ... I just installed it. Over Quebec, Canada ...that thing is AMAZING. This is night and day. I use the high res tile ... I have unlimited gigabit internet but that thing looks SO GOOD.

A hint, it has been said few times but ... dont forget to "DELETE" the rolling cache in the MSFS setup. If not you could have google tiles that could mix up with the bing one, which is the weird look people are talking about.

• Like 4

I'm happy with default 200 LOD. 

• Like 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

47 minutes ago, VBHB said:

I'm happy with default 200 LOD. 

So was I until about 6 hours ago 😄   

No going back now.  Who wouldn't want a  huge free texture upgrade at no cost financially or performance wise?   THIS is the world update I was waiting for!

It cant be bad...  the quick test of the mod before going to bed has turned into me getting so immersed its now light outside and I appear to have lost a night somewhere 😆

• Like 1

Did some digging;

what you will have is maps, not corrected by blackshark AI. Only the maps used by MSFS are corrected by Blackshark. So if there are clouds or other issues, they will be not corrected. Not starting a discussion what is good or bad, just for the info.

Any Bing-based imagery has to be processed by BlackSharkAI to be put into a form useable in the game. That is not a real-time process. Bing imagery is not used directly. Additionally, if an airport has been expanded in the newer Bing imagery (lengthened runways, new taxiways etc.) Then the entire airport would have to be recompiled by the same process that the default airports were originally created. It would not automatically be modified/updated just because newer Bing imagery is available.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

36 minutes ago, pilotter said:

So if there are clouds or other issues, they will be not corrected.

The Bing world is littered with clouds baked into ground textures, as anyone who has ever simmed in New Guinea will testify.  The Google maps are certainly no worse in this regard (and certainly better in many others.)

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

Couple questions I'm confused about. Is this mod of any benefit to those of us who fly tubeliners? Also, if it's using Google data, does this add photogrametry in places that Google may have data for but the default MSFS Bing does not?

• Like 1

Here I use Bing but have changed the look and feel with GF Experience so it shows a more realistic scene….

As I use 3090 GPU’s I do not care about the slightly drop in fps. I use Vsync /30 fps so enough headroom…

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

Here I use Bing but have changed the look and feel with GF Experience so it shows a more realistic scene….

As I use 3090 GPU’s I do not care about the slightly drop in fps. I use Vsync /30 fps so enough headroom…

I did some experiment and did not suffer a single drop in FPS on my side. But I do have a gigabit link and a monster machine. But I doubt this mod would slow down anything, it mostly changes the source of where it takes its images, so there are no differences for CPU/GPU.

I will stick to the mod right now, but will try to keep an eye on the map correction done by Asobo as stated earlier in this thread. I will report here if I stumble on these, but so far EVERYTHING is way more vivid.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Stopped using it, was having obvious scenery load in distance. Not tried last few version, maybe it’s improved.

Yup, the latest version has higher loading speed then previously apparently.

I just realised I'm not even using the cache (in game or in the app) and had no issues with scenery loading even with the Hi-Res option on.    Worth checking out again for sure Cpt!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Moose said:

Yup, the latest version has higher loading speed then previously apparently.

I just realised I'm not even using the cache (in game or in the app) and had no issues with scenery loading even with the Hi-Res option on.    Worth checking out again for sure Cpt!

My take is that if you see tile popping in the distance, your internet connection could be not fast enough to get the tile texture fast enough from the google server. In this case ...yes ... the cache will help a lot if you commonly fly in the same areas.

7 hours ago, Bigt said:

Couple questions I'm confused about. Is this mod of any benefit to those of us who fly tubeliners? Also, if it's using Google data, does this add photogrametry in places that Google may have data for but the default MSFS Bing does not?

Absolutely YES!  Textures at any height look spectacular.  Photogrammetry is not changed in any way and no new areas are shown.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

After all the great talk about this mod I decided to try it. The result, I get nothing except this message which makes no sense.  Recycle bin..

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

After all the great talk about this mod I decided to try it. The result, I get nothing except this message which makes no sense.  Recycle bin..

spacer.png

It's a shame ... I just came back from New Zealand with this mod.

In picture at the bottom of the page.

Never had a problem with this mod

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

10 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

spacer.png

Seems that it’s not able to make changes to \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

6 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Seems that it’s not able to make changes to \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Yes that is what I figured, but it is not read only, and I turned off my AV, no help. Similar error on their forum  that has no answer to the problem. Not going to waste anymore time, I could be flying. 😉

I just fixed it. It seems Webroot, my AV has a feature that blocks modification of host files as part of their antivirus. Even when truning Webroot off, which I did, this block is still in effect. I had to go to Advanced Settings > Shields" and un-check the option for blocking edits to the hosts file.. Now it works. First time Webroot has ever caused a problem for me, in many years. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310