Sign in to follow this  
Frag

Anyone tried the mod to use google map instead of Bing?

7 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

why doesn't Asobo use the new maps?

This is the million dollar question.

Have any of the latest world updates used the new Bing data?   The ortho in Australia for example is much higher quality than before the update,  I guess I'll have to test later and take some screenies with both to compare. 

Obviously they cant just inject the whole lot of the new data into the sim just like that....  every tile needs to be "processed" through their AI first.

Interesting to hear New Bing is better in Scandinavia.   I've just done a few test flights in Sweden with Google, only around a couple of the bigger city areas mind.   But it was amazing compared to default (you guys were royally screwed with your world update!)   I couldn't bring myself to fly there before with all that green road hell and crappy textures.    I'll give the New Bing a go tomorrow.

• Like 1

I tried the mod with google maps after reading this thread and it made a world of a difference! 
Thanks for sharing it.🤗

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

5 hours ago, Frag said:

Here is the simplw way to do it (if you switch from Bing to Google)

1. Start the mod application

2. Click "Start Flying". It will start MSFS automatically.

3. Go in the MSFS option, clear the cache

4. Start your flight.

That simple.

Obviously, next time you play, if you stick to google maps, don't kill the cache. Simply start the mod and click "Start Flying"

It didn't load MSFS automatically.  Is that an issue?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

1 minute ago, Zimmerbz said:

No. The ‘launch MSFS’ is one of the options the app offers.

I ‘m not using it and not having any problems.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

There's a checkbox in the setting  you need to click to autostart MSFS

EDIT: To slow again... 😄

Edited by The Moose

5 hours ago, Ixoye said:

My problem seems to have to do with bad maps, when I look at those that are loaded in they have different color tints, and some are half winter and half summer, apparently they are very old and bad maps in the areas where I have seen problems, my memory usage seems normal, the area i have seen problems are norwegian and swedish mountain areas.

I remember from X-Plane 11 it seemed notoriously difficult to find decent ortho scenery for Norway. Not tried with the mod though. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

You mention you can see textures loading in the distance so I think something maybe blocking the mod. I can fly for hours without ever seeing textures load.

Have the same issue. Will probably have to do some troubleshooting to check if there’s a conflict with other apps using the same network port. 

By the way here’s the FAQ: https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/wiki/FAQ

Could be several issues that causes problem with scenery loading, but the most relevant are probably:

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

18 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I remember from X-Plane 11 it seemed notoriously difficult to find decent ortho scenery for Norway. Not tried with the mod though. 

I have all of Norway covered in LV17 ortho, and it is extremely good excepting a couple of tiles I couldn't ask for anything better.  Perhaps it's all been updated?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

13 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Have the same issue. Will probably have to do some troubleshooting to check if there’s a conflict with other apps using the same network port. 

By the way here’s the FAQ: https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/wiki/FAQ

Could be several issues that causes problem with scenery loading, but the most relevant are probably:

Thank you for this information links.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

On 6/10/2022 at 10:00 PM, Zimmerbz said:

I'd be curious to see if this was fixed as well.  That was the only thing keeping me from using it.  I hated seeing tiles pop up in the distance

Nothing in the app needed to be fixed - find the app sharing the same network port.  

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 6/11/2022 at 12:31 AM, blueshark747 said:

I keep reading issues with blurries, using this google mod. No thanks! Blurries give me horrible flashbacks of FSX.

There are no blurries if you are willing to spend 10 minutes finding out the cause - which normally ends up being something blocking the 443 network port.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

disregard/ 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

There are no blurries if you are willing to spend 10 minutes finding out the cause - which normally ends up being something blocking the 443 network port.

This is how to: (disregard the C-3PO like voice)

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, since I started using this again the last 2 flights, I have been having connectivity issues where it forces me to go offline.  My internet connection is fine.  Is this a coincidence or could it be related to this mod?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I have given this a try,

When launching MSFS I got a message that due to low bandwith it was recommended to switch off photogrammetry (OK/Ignore)

Never seen that message before and with either choice i experienced very low FPS

After restarting MSFS without the mod (which should revert MSFS using default bing maps?) still the same low FPS

I fear i have messed up the sim now and want to stop with this mod, remove it alltogether

So, what would be the best thing to do now? just uninstall it or is there more te restore?

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable