Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

we need FFTF for MSFS2020 -

On 12/27/2022 at 12:55 PM, Fantrainer said:

I don´t know If technically would be possible, but if it is,  and if somebody could create a tool that works softly, and fine I think would be a must have add-on from minute one. It would be worth each cent, IMHO.

Hi,

Yes it can be done. Actually I did it already. 🙂

I will make some tests and when I find some free time (next year) I will build the software.

!!! Extra news.

With low end pc, Lod 10=8.7 frames, lod 400= 6.2 frames. > 40% performance gain on ground. I was changing the lod outside MSFS (my staff) and I was watching the frames.

Happy new year. 

Edited by Achilles Philippopoulos
  • Like 16

Achilles

Flight Simulator Plaform Solutions

18 minutes ago, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

Hi,

I will make some tests and when I find some free time (next year) I will build the software.

!!! Extra news.

With low end pc, Lod 10=8.7 frames, lod 400= 6.2 frames. > 40% performance gain on ground. I was changing the lod outside MSFS (my staff) and I was watching the frames.

Happy new year. 

Best News in a long time, for sure it will be a game changer. Count me in as early adopter.

• Like 2

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

12 hours ago, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

Hi,

!!! Extra news.

Happy new year. 

Sounds promising.

Preferably the Terrain LOD should not (only) depend on altitude above ground but on the framerate resp. main thread latency.

For example I would want a higher Terrain LOD when flying at 2000 ft in some remote area than when flying at 5000 ft around Manhattan.

Ideally we should be able to set a target framerate and the software would monitor the framerate / main thread latency and adjust the Terrain LOD accordingly so that the target framerate is always achieved without stutters.

13 hours ago, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

Hi,

@Achilles Philippopoulos I do not mean to hack this thread, but speaking of hacking, if you could find a way to hack into the live weather system and remove/ignore the METAR reads (exposing ONLY the organic LIVE weather we had when MSFS was released) - I would be amazed, and interested in such a program!

Anyhow, so glad to hear you found a solution to the FFTF already! If you need test help, let know I would be happy to help!

Happy New Year!

Edited by KERNEL32

@Achilles Philippopoulos

Thats sounds great.

If you need a Beta Tester ask me.

Greatings from EDDM

Frank

WIN 11 64 Pro, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, I7 13700K, be-quiet Loop Silent 2 WK, RTX 3090 OC, 32 GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast EXPO, 4x Nvme Samsung PRO, MS2020, be quiet SP11 850 Watt

12 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Ideally we should be able to set a target framerate and the software would monitor the framerate / main thread latency and adjust the Terrain LOD accordingly so that the target framerate is always achieved without stutters.

I posted about this a long time ago:  https://www.avsim.com/profile/101053-noel/ so nice to see someone willing to take a stab at it!

I can tell you now I have much less need for this than when that post was made, and I have not upgraded my GPU to RTX4000x, nor upgraded my now 3y/o CPU.  I have achieved liquid smoothness, in all planes I use (PMDG 738, AS CRJ700, B78X), everywhere included the most complex departure AND arrival terminals.  It is rare now to get even 1 stutter anywhere from gate to gate!  All settings on Ultra.   If you would like to know how this happened, read here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/628655-ultimate-smoothness-on-modest-hardware-heres-how/?do=findComment&comment=4899096

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Are you mad 😎I think it's perfect from previous sims.

Flying out of Antalya last night at sunset the thing is breathtaking no tweaks needed in my opinion.

Edited by bhx22

RYZEN 7 5800X3D EIGHT CORE 4.5GHZ,  CORSAIR CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 VENGEANCE LPX 64GB SAPPHIRE NITRO  AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16368 MB) 

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Samsung U32J59x (DisplayPort) [31.5" VA LCD] Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD ZP1000GM30002 (ITB)WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 (1TB)

1 hour ago, bhx22 said:

Flying out of Antalya last night at sunset the thing is breathtaking no tweaks needed in my opinion.

You don't have to use it, but it would be wonderful and a gamechanger for some people. Sure you can go into menu and lower TLOD when you have landed so when taxiing in it is smooth, but this is a serious immersion breaker, so this tool would just be amazing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bhx22 said:

Try the same with 4K, all sliders to the right abd both LOD sliders above 200 in bad weather, near a large city with a major airport hub + many AI traffic ….

Then you would be glad that such an app was there to crank up your framerate.

• Like 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I posted about this a long time ago:  https://www.avsim.com/profile/101053-noel/ so nice to see someone willing to take a stab at it!

I can tell you now I have much less need for this than when that post was made, and I have not upgraded my GPU to RTX4000x, nor upgraded my now 3y/o CPU.  I have achieved liquid smoothness, in all planes I use (PMDG 738, AS CRJ700, B78X), everywhere included the most complex departure AND arrival terminals.  It is rare now to get even 1 stutter anywhere from gate to gate!  All settings on Ultra.   If you would like to know how this happened, read here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/628655-ultimate-smoothness-on-modest-hardware-heres-how/?do=findComment&comment=4899096

Good to read to you are happy with your current setup.

But wouldn’t you want to have more LOD than 130 the higher you fly ? 

Imagine you could set 100 for groundlevel and 250 for 20000 ft.  You could use more AI traffic and more car, boat traffic and the higher you fly the more LOD you will get. Best of both worlds.

• Like 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

28 minutes ago, GSalden said:

But wouldn’t you want to have more LOD than 130 the higher you fly ? 

Yes it should be better for sure and is why I clamored for this a while back as you saw in the link.  However, what I notice is that LOD of 250, versus my default 130 just is hardly noticeable, in fact it can be worse!  I know that sounds bizarre even to me because I would hoped the difference would be very obvious and substantial, but it's not for some reason for me.  My 130 is primarily for the PMDG 738 and goes up all the way to 400 in some GA aircraft, and 200 or so for CRJ700, so it's not that I don't know what it looks like if you will.  Recently I've swallowed my own medicine by not bothering to change it from 130 the difference isn't worth the effort.  Here's a perfect example...

This is just done at T-LOD of 250.  Yes, it's been compressed, but live it really looks about the same.  I really have to scrutinize to see differences:spacer.png

Now same area at T-LOD of 130.  To my eyes, it actually looks better!  Don't know why, did not make a mistake in the screen capture!spacer.png

Plus, and this is huge:  flawless, 100% stutter-free fluid animation in and out of all airports is just plain all I've ever hoped for.  I don't like too much air traffic either because it can screw with ATC's handing at arrival and you just can get too many go arounds.  I use IFR of 12 in a 50km radius which to my brain is perfect.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

However, what I notice is that LOD of 250, versus my default 130 just is hardly noticeable,

I found basically the same thing and have mine set permanently at, I think, 120. The small difference made by going higher is not worth the effort, the sim looks great and mine too is very smooth with only quite rare brief pauses. That is what I have wanted in a sim for two decades and I am more then willing to trade a higher LOD for that smoothness. There is a certain point when I think we begin chasing a degree of perfection that most hardware today cannot yet support and I have just opted out of that race. Personally, I am not in favor of hacking in to try to achieve more. I do not in any way want to discourage those who want to try this from doing so, but that is just not for me as I fear it will cause more issues than what it is trying to solve. I have been able to keep pretty true to my objective to avoid third-party programs running alongside the sim. 

• Upvote 1

Dan Scott

24 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yes it should be better for sure and is why I clamored for this a while back as you saw in the link.  However, what I notice is that LOD of 250, versus my default 130 just is hardly noticeable, in fact it can be worse!  I know that sounds bizarre even to me because I would hoped the difference would be very obvious and substantial, but it's not for some reason for me.  My 130 is primarily for the PMDG 738 and goes up all the way to 400 in some GA aircraft, and 200 or so for CRJ700, so it's not that I don't know what it looks like if you will.  Recently I've swallowed my own medicine by not bothering to change it from 130 the difference isn't worth the effort.  Here's a perfect example...

This is just done at T-LOD of 250.  Yes, it's been compressed, but live it really looks about the same.  I really have to scrutinize to see differences:spacer.png

Now same area at T-LOD of 130.  To my eyes, it actually looks better!  Don't know why, did not make a mistake in the screen capture!spacer.png

Plus, and this is huge:  flawless, 100% stutter-free fluid animation in and out of all airports is just plain all I've ever hoped for.  I don't like too much air traffic either because it can screw with ATC's handing at arrival and you just can get too many go arounds.  I use IFR of 12 in a 50km radius which to my brain is perfect.

In my home cockpit I use the VC without panels only : front view = 86” wide. Zoom 73. 4K. That is different from a plane view where you are zoomed out much more by default.

I can definitely see the difference between 100-150-200-250 when looking into the distance. But as I wrote I only use the VC view.

Edited by GSalden
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

I can definitely see the difference between 100-150-200-250 when looking into the distance. But as I wrote I only use the VC view

Yes the difference is clear I agree. it depends on the terrain around you, for example if you are in flat wooded land, you can easily see where the trees stop rendering. There is kinda an opposite of 'golden' altitude where this is so obvious, below that altitude you cant see that far anyway and so low LOD is fine, and above a certain altitude you can't see the difference between trees and coloured terrain, so again 150 is just as good as 250+, but at around 2500 ft, for example on approach, you can clearly see the edge of the terrain detailed area if you are below around 300 TLOD.

Now if only the old mod that drew trees to the horizon still worked, as I often find that the trees covered the blurred ground textures anyway. 

So I would say at the moment one needs the highest possible TLOD they can get, so if this mod will help to achieve that, without one having to continually go into the menu to manipluate it yourself at different stages of flight, it would be awesome. For me it is just 1000ft downwards where I would love to be able to lower TLOD on the fly.

This is with Fenix into heavy FPS addon scenery eg inibuilds EGLL. I struggle to maintain 30fps in the Fenix going in there once very close to the airport and on the ground taxiing and at gate if I keep my TLOD at my 250 default with everything else on ULTRA. This is also of course when panning the camera, if I don't move my viewpoint it is fine, but you need to move viewpoint.

Edited by abennett
  • Like 3