Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

New Asobo Feature Discovery Series episode: Gliders

• Like 14

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

That's so cool. Great work by the many teams involved.

• Like 4

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

That was very interesting, especially the bits about the flight model. I have no clue how gliders work (beyond the obvious) so I look forward to learning a lot more once this update is released 

This is the "real deal".

I don't want anyone saying MSFS is for gamers (because it's on Xbox?), isn't a real simulation, is best for "visual flight" only, etc.

Watch that video. 

That shows what the team behind it is working on and that is just for gliders.

• Like 6

Nice video! SU 11 will be another huge leap in technology for MSFS, with the new thermals and the new 20 KM CFD that surrounds the plane. And I think the 20 KM CFD surrounding the plane is something that hasn't been done in a home market flight simulator before.

• Like 4

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

That does look cool, I've never thought about flying gliders before but will definitely give them a go when released.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

bummer !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Cool! Winch launches! Did some gliding back in the 80's & the club I was flying at had a winch launch. Coming from power flying & being trained not to get the nose too high on take off the winch launch really gave me a shock at first. 

During take off you climbed out at about forty five degrees pitch up from memory & had to keep an eye on your speed so you could signal to the winch operator whether to increase or decrease speed by either waggling the wings or yawing the fuselage. Used to get the old adrenalin pumping that's for sure. Looking forward to this. Instrumentation looks far more advanced than what I was used to.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Cool!  And based on my experience with toy gliders, I always thought they were launched by a giant elastic band!  :laugh:

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

41 minutes ago, Rossco said:

Cool! Winch launches! Did some gliding back in the 80's & the club I was flying at had a winch launch. Coming from power flying & being trained not to get the nose too high on take off the winch launch really gave me a shock at first. 

During take off you climbed out at about forty five degrees pitch up from memory & had to keep an eye on your speed so you could signal to the winch operator whether to increase or decrease speed by either waggling the wings or yawing the fuselage. Used to get the old adrenalin pumping that's for sure. Looking forward to this. Instrumentation looks far more advanced than what I was used to.

I remember my glider instructions vividly. One of my favorite parts was the unexpected cable failure practice.

During winching the instructor pulled the cable release to make sure you acted promptly and correct.

Because we have a lot of barbed wire meadows in the Netherlands gliders were equipped with a thin tube framework mounted to the underside of the canopy to slice under the barbed wire in case of an off field landing. If you were a little to enthusiastic during that failed cable practice my instructor would hit his head against the framework. It made him curse loudly and compliment me with my prompt action.

• Like 5

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Oh boy now I am hyped for gliders 😄 

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

5 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

I don't want anyone saying MSFS is for gamers (because it's on Xbox?), isn't a real simulation, is best for "visual flight" only, etc.

Well but it is. It has no real aviation dangers, inaccurate instrumentation, limited weather settings, no failures other than the engine, etc. Nothing wrong, it just has a different focus.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

3 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Well but it is. It has no real aviation dangers, inaccurate instrumentation, limited weather settings, no failures other than the engine, etc. Nothing wrong, it just has a different focus.

Have you seen the failures available in the mcdu on the Fenix? Or the instrumentation in a lot of high fidelity add ons? Limited weather settings? What 😂

• Like 5

Just now, Ridvan Celik said:

Have you seen the failures available in the mcdu on the Fenix? Or the instrumentation in a lot of high fidelity add ons? Limited weather settings? What 😂

Visibility can't be set. Indicated altitude not affected by temperature. Artificial horizon not affected by unusual attitudes, etc. Also, icing does not seem to affect performance or sensors (pitot/static), no risk of aquaplaning or reduced friction on icy runways, no hypoxia if you forgot to set pressurization, failed engines don't need to be feathered, etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

9 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Visibility can't be set. Indicated altitude not affected by temperature. Artificial horizon not affected by unusual attitudes, etc. Also, icing does not seem to affect performance or sensors (pitot/static), no risk of aquaplaning or reduced friction on icy runways, no hypoxia if you forgot to set pressurization, failed engines don't need to be feathered, etc.

Haha. OK it's a game. Have it your own way. But at least it's a good looking and enjoyable modern game and not just an out of date, tired and boring sim made for out of date, tired and boring people.🤣

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 8