Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Useless

Just a small update on my recent problems, I uninstalled GAIST V3 and the problem continued, so it's not GAIST V3, I deleted (through MSFS addon Linker) my community folder addons, and the sim was fine. This could be a long process as I have 100's of addons in order to find the culprit.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

17 minutes ago, Amon1973 said:

Just a small update on my recent problems, I uninstalled GAIST V3 and the problem continued, so it's not GAIST V3, I deleted (through MSFS addon Linker) my community folder addons, and the sim was fine. This could be a long process as I have 100's of addons in order to find the culprit.

I had an add on that was giving me problems but did not know which one it was so I de-activated them all with add on linker and then started adding them back in groups.  I could narrow down the culprit resonable quick, but, yes, it takes some time if you have no clue which one is at fault.

• Like 2

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

3 hours ago, Amon1973 said:

This could be a long process as I have 100's of addons in order to find the culprit.

I remember when MSFS launched in 2020 I was amazed at the almost immediate clamoring to buy or pick up as many addons as could be found which in my mind seemed like automatic legacy behavior from the prior sims where default scenery was absolute garbage so one had to install new content.  I thought this is the pathway to heightened risk for problems and it surely is (yes, of course you can cope with 100's of addons all you need is another tool to manage it all, like addon linker which I have no need for.)  I have a few choice airports I bought, 2 planes now, and a grand total of 23 entries in the community folder and hardly ever see CTD.  It seems like for some adding content is more meaningful than flying and for that issue I highly recommend A Pilot's Life v2 so you can focus on using this incredible sim versus the continuous quest to add content to satisfy oneself.  APL2 scores all flights and keeps you on your toes and focused on flying this amazing flight simulator extreme.   Critical in my Comm Folder:  FSLTL, AccuSeason, Subtle Taxi Ribbon (absolute perfect solution), AS CRJ, PMDG 738, B78X HD mod, and several liveries and that's it.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

34 minutes ago, Noel said:

I remember when MSFS launched in 2020 I was amazed at the almost immediate clamoring to buy or pick up as many addons as could be found which in my mind seemed like automatic legacy behavior from the prior sims where default scenery was absolute garbage so one had to install new content.  I thought this is the pathway to heightened risk for problems and it surely is (yes, of course you can cope with 100's of addons all you need is another tool to manage it all, like addon linker which I have no need for.)  I have a few choice airports I bought, 2 planes now, and a grand total of 23 entries in the community folder and hardly ever see CTD.  It seems like for some adding content is more meaningful than flying and for that issue I highly recommend A Pilot's Life v2 so you can focus on using this incredible sim versus the continuous quest to add content to satisfy oneself.  APL2 scores all flights and keeps you on your toes and focused on flying this amazing flight simulator extreme.   Critical in my Comm Folder:  FSLTL, AccuSeason, Subtle Taxi Ribbon (absolute perfect solution), AS CRJ, PMDG 738, B78X HD mod, and several liveries and that's it.  

I am with you, the less garbage that one loads into their sim, the more reliable it will be. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, hansb57 said:

I had an add on that was giving me problems but did not know which one it was so I de-activated them all with add on linker and then started adding them back in groups.  I could narrow down the culprit resonable quick, but, yes, it takes some time if you have no clue which one is at fault.

Pete Dowson used a similar strategy. Binary Chop I think he called it. Move 50% of addons to another location. If the problem persists move 50% of the remaining addons to another location.

Repeat until culprit found.

If after first Binary Chop the problem is solved you know the culprit lies amongst the ones removed. By further processes of elimination the culprit can quickly be identified. Of course this only works if the problem is consistent and repeatable.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yup, bubbled sort and binary search were early tools I used when I was programming. It was a good party game too - have someone pick a # between 1 - 100 and tell them you'll guess it in 10 tries

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

11 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Yup, bubbled sort and binary search were early tools I used when I was programming. It was a good party game too - have someone pick a # between 1 - 100 and tell them you'll guess it in 10 tries

It was my very first programming assignment ( in QuickTran) in 1968 when I took my first programming class in my senior year as a psychology major.  One computer class and I dropped my desire to be a clinical psychologist and went to work for NASA as a Fortran programmer.  Several years later did a graduate program in clinical psych and again decided I liked working with computers more than humans.   50+ years later I still like my Flight Sim better than humans!

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

37 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Pete Dowson used a similar strategy. Binary Chop I think he called it. Move 50% of addons to another location. If the problem persists move 50% of the remaining addons to another location.

Repeat until culprit found.

If after first Binary Chop the problem is solved you know the culprit lies amongst the ones removed. By further processes of elimination the culprit can quickly be identified. Of course this only works if the problem is consistent and repeatable.

Yes! However if problem would started all of a sudden I would remove newest add ons first before opting binary approach . Basically you roll back to earliest stable version 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

24 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Yes! However if problem would started all of a sudden I would remove newest add ons first before opting binary approach . Basically you roll back to earliest stable version 

Yes, that works too.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am with you, the less garbage that one loads into their sim, the more reliable it will be. 

Yes, wisdom cometh with age 😉

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Interesting indeed. My setup has been running pretty good. I update drivers, and add on content when available. However December 29th I started getting repeated CTD’S, always just before the end of my flight, no matter how long or short in duration or aircraft. As usual, panic set in, check this, check that etc etc, taking away from enjoying my flight time. To make a long story short, last night, a half hour before the New Year, there it was! I found an unusually quick update posted ( DC3 Duck Works mod). Updated the mod, back to enjoying MSFS.

LESSON LEARNED (I knew it, but forgot it😞 in most cases when this happens, it’s an add on mod. Always check there first! In my case I only have about 14 or so add-on’s, so checking there first usually doesn’t take very long, and usually pays off.

Some possible CTD causes, that often are overlooked:

- Too long USB cables to controllers. I just had a case, when freezes and CTDs occured after I had multiple controllers plugged into a USB hub behind an extension cable of just 2 meters. Using a USB multimeter I saw the voltage occasionally drop to values close to 4V which apparently caused the issues. Without the extension cable the CTDs are gone.

- Bad contact somewhere in hardware setup.

Edited by mrueedi
  • Like 1

I thought the same...Traced all my CTD to a Bridge timing out....

Although I must admit it is a very fragile program..

I took everything out of my community folder except the Shift-Z stats (which I updated to the latest version) and so far no CTDs.

• Like 3

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Just spent two days downloading again and reinstalling. One clean startup, installed PMDG. Then BANG - freeze on fly.

Uninstall, clean up, still broken.

GARBAGE.

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.