Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

TrackIR

another point about tobii was that you were concerned about the screen size - I use a samsung G9 all 49" of it & have no trouble at all with the tracking - had track ir4 & the grass monkey one but I can't live without tobii now

• Like 2

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

I have used Track IR 5 with a simple wireless baseball visor clip for years. It is a good piece of gear. If you want to check out grassmonkey simulations they make a similar system called Puck IR for about half the price if cost is an issue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rattso said:

another point about tobii was that you were concerned about the screen size - I use a samsung G9 all 49" of it & have no trouble at all with the tracking - had track ir4 & the grass monkey one but I can't live without tobii now

Do you mean head tracking? Obviously the screen size is only a limiting factor for eye tracking.

• Like 2

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks for all your comments guys, a lot of info and views for consideration there.  These things are quite expensive, so I really don't want to make the wrong decision.

I've seen a few opened but unused on ebay which might save a few £££.  I suppose some people try them once and don't get on with them for one reason or another.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

You'll be disappointed. Most flight sim reviews of the Tobii say they turn off eye tracking and just use it as a head tracker 😐

Since I never liked TRACKIR I would use SimHangers configuration.

Also to restate, for me the TRACKIR baseball hat thing became really annoying really fast.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 1

The great thing about Tobii eye tracker is that there are no wires at all. While at the same time you can set it up to track your head and eyes, also you have great flexibility being able to disable eye tracking or the head tracking, or off all together at the touch of a button.

I hesitated for too long about Tobii 5, I wish I'd bought it earlier, others might not agree, but don't waste your money on trackir, just get the Tobii.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

You'll be disappointed. Most flight sim reviews of the Tobii say they turn off eye tracking and just use it as a head tracker 😐

I totally disagree about him being disappointed using Tobii. I have both and now only use my Tobii now. My trackIR's basically sit in their box stored away.

In fact I actually have two trackIR's one 4 and a 5. The 5 is actually my son's that he stopped using, seeing as my 4 head sensor snapped as they're a very delicate piece of kit, another plus point for Tobii as there's nothing to break.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

17 minutes ago, Amon1973 said:

I totally disagree about him being disappointed using Tobii. I have both and now only use my Tobii now.

He thinks he will use it with eye tracking on but without head tracking. I maintain he will be disappointed!

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

16 hours ago, cianpars said:

Any comments, views, opinions and experiences relating to these and any alternatives will be gratefully received.

Thanks

I bought a tracker from Grass Monkey a little over a year ago.

It was quite affordable, has no wires and works like an absolute charm for me.

I recommend it highly.

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

• Like 3

Any comments, views, opinions and experiences relating to these and any alternatives will be gratefully received.

Thanks

I recommend it highly.

• Like 1

Thanks

I recommend it highly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cianpars said:

Thanks for all your comments guys, a lot of info and views for consideration there.  These things are quite expensive, so I really don't want to make the wrong decision.

I've seen a few opened but unused on ebay which might save a few £££.  I suppose some people try them once and don't get on with them for one reason or another.

Must admit when I bought mine years ago it was expensive and a quick UK search finds it's still expensive and not easy to find. Ebay seems to be full of Chinese copies.  No idea what they're like but the real thing is made by NaturalPoint. Not sure how robust these things are but over the years I've jealously protected it against the ravages of small children and my wife's vacuum cleaner.  I really wouldn't be able to fly without it.

Some idea of TrackIr range and ability;

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amon1973 said:

The great thing about Tobii eye tracker is that there are no wires at all. While at the same time you can set it up to track your head and eyes, also you have great flexibility being able to disable eye tracking or the head tracking, or off all together at the touch of a button.

I hesitated for too long about Tobii 5, I wish I'd bought it earlier, others might not agree, but don't waste your money on trackir, just get the Tobii.

Can you assign a pause button to pause the camera where you are currently looking?

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

45 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Can you assign a pause button to pause the camera where you are currently looking?

In my experience, no. When you pause Tobii, you return to the default view, straight ahead. You can still move your mouse around, and operate buttons and switches in various parts of the cockpit - in that regard, it is similar to TrackIR.

A couple of things worth mentioning about Tobii - firstly, you can alter the ratio of eye movement to head movement, using one of the sliders within MSFS controls. So, in effect, you can have it purely for head-movement like TrackIR, which seems to suit a lot of people. I have it set to 0.75 head movement, 0.25 eye movement, which feels very natural indeed. You can also alter the eye sensitivity, on a separate slider.

Another thing is that, unlike TrackIR ( if memory serves), you can still use the hat switch POV button, which adds to the Tobii angle of view. For example, say you have the POV hat switch mapped to snap view left and snap view right - meaning 90 degrees to the left or right. If you now look about 30 degrees in either direction with Tobii, and then use the hat switch, 90 degrees will be added, moving your view to 120 degrees. This means you can reduce the sensitivity of Tobii, but still be able to look round behind, as and when you need to. You don't have to crane your head round, while still trying to look at the computer screen - it is so much more comfortable to use.

TrackIR was a genuine 'game changer', but after six weeks with Tobii, I won't be going back. Tobii is also very good for other supported games, like Arma 3.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org