Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

TrackIR

Having tried VR and decided not to go down that route, I am cosidering Track IR but am wondering which way to go with trackIR 4, TrackIR5, Track clip pro, etc.  Could I ask for your thoughts and considerations with regard to these.

I have decided against Tobil on the basis of cost and that I have a fairly large screen and need to move my eyes a lot just to see all areas of the screen.

I was also wondering whether to purchase new or whether there might be any issues buying pre owned.

Any comments, views, opinions and experiences relating to these and any alternatives will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I have been a TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro user for what must be over 10 years and I simply refuse to fly without it and it has been like that since the first time I have used it. In fact, I can say with some confidence that I have not completed a single flight in all those years without it. Not one. I recently looked into replacing it with a Tobii Eye Tracker but discovered it lacks a critical function that Track IR has that I can't live without. Mine is nearly due a replacement as I broke the Pro Clip by being a clumsy fool and had to glue it together and if I'm replacing that I may as well just replace the entire thing but it has been faultless for over a decade and still works beautifully.

It may be weird at first but once you have a profile that suits you it becomes so natural you will wonder how on earth anyone manages without it. It's accurate and it just works. It's important to assign a recentre button and a pause button and learn to use the pause feature so it becomes second nature. I have lost count of the amount of TrackIR users that seem oblivious that this feature exists which I have always found odd. It's also the feature that I called critical and missing earlier. For example, you look up at the overhead panel and need to flick some awkward switches...hit the pause button so it stops tracking and locks the camera where you are looking so you can interact. Need to look down at the CDU for 10 mins as you input data? Do the same thing. This feature is critical for ease of use and most importantly prevents neck strain.

One thing I will say about it though is that a low frame rate will stand out more when using it. You need to keep the frame rate up or the illusion is ruined and is unpleasent especially when looking left and right. A smooth sim is key when using this. I think you will be fine with your rig.

I have seen that some people can't get on with it so it isn't for everyone but it didn't take me long to get the hang of it. I can say with some confidence to go for it. Genuinely the single best bit of flight sim hardware I have ever bought.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I would also add that with the Clip Pro that you do have a wire attached to your head but with sensible running of the cable you need not know it's there at all. I tried the other solution with the clip on the hat and found it not quite as accurate.

• Like 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

2 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Genuinely the single best bit of flight sim hardware I have ever bought.

Couldn’t agree more.

My TrackIr 4 must be around fifteen years old now and I can’t quite understand how anyone can fully enjoy what flight sims offer without some form of head tracking.

• Like 1

Track Ir software and camera but the DelanClip on your head, it's wireless (7 hour battery, charged with your run-of-the-mill mobile charger).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Track Ir software and camera but the DelanClip on your head, it's wireless (7 hour battery, charged with your run-of-the-mill mobile charger).

What is that Delan Clip ?

• Like 1

Been using Track IR for at least 13 years. I never used the Track Clip Pro, thought it was unnecessary and didn't like the idea of the wire either. I just used the standard clip it comes with and I have a Track IR Visor to mount it on. Wouldn't fly without it. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Samaritano said:

Have to wear a headset?  Thanks, but no thanks. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

28 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

What is that Delan Clip ?

• Like 1

It looks like the  Track Clip Pro which comes with Track Ir 5. Is there any diference  ?

• Like 1

I had a TIR4,  gave it to my nephew and bought a TIR 5.     Didn't notice any appreciable difference between the two if memory serves.

The Track Clip Pro is powered by a wire.   The Delan is cordless.    Pretty much the only difference.

There are freeware apps which emulate TIR using a webcam or mobile phone cam.  

Pretty much agree with everything Jazz posted.  

edit:  I do have a reverb G2 VR headset,  but still prefer TIR and a high quality panel.

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 1

TIR5 with TCP.  I've been using this combo happily for about 10 years. 

I also now use VR.  I almost always wear a headset with mic so it's simple to affix the TCP to it.  The TCP is really flimsy though - I've had to reinforce mine a few times over the years.  And using TCP adds more wires which can be a little annoying but they don't bother me much.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Before I went over to Tobii, I had Track IR with this, from Trackhat.org

https://www.trackhat.org/product-page/trackhat-clip-plus

It's cordless, rechargeable from a USB port, and has an on/off switch. The velcro pad supplied is useless, so I made my own fastener for it, using a pair of clothes pegs and a small cable tie, which takes about 5 minutes to put together, and works perfectly. 100% stable on three different headsets. It works with the TrackIR 5 camera without any issues.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I have TrackIR 5, and yes it definitely adds extra emersion, however over the Christmas period I purchased Tobii Eye tracker 5, and it's another step up from TrackIR. I now have no use for TrackIR. There's no wires or anything like that, and I might just give to my son. I'd personally recommend just to get the Tobii eye tracker 5 instead. 

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.