Sign in to follow this  
raymar

First Look at New Zealand update

20 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I'm wondering what they did learn from latest WU (Canada). Didn'd Jorg say in one of the latests twitch sessions that something like that (WU Canada) will not happen again?

It did not. The PG is amazing. People who claim it is not are having bandwith connection problems.

• Like 3

I agree. I have a 100 MBit/s connection and Photogrammetry in Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch, that's what I tried with a chopper, looks great. No molten post-nucelar-war buildings like I still see in London.

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

anyone else getting CTD when loading Auckland discovery flight?

had a quick scan of posts and couldn’t see this mentioned. 

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

8 hours ago, pmb said:

I agree. I have a 100 MBit/s connection and Photogrammetry in Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch, that's what I tried with a chopper, looks great. No molten post-nucelar-war buildings like I still see in London.

Kind regards, Michael 

I have the same connection speed but NZWN is a molten mess in the surrounding suburbs with PG enabled.  I can deal with PG not working in city centres (I just avoid them) but in this case it is just so in your face and unavoidable particularly from RWY16.  I could get a faster connection but it is unclear whether this would help.  If there are any other tricks to getting PG working I am all ears.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

This is how the Wellington City Center looks like on my system
spacer.png

This is from an insane height of 1000 ft where I doubt I'd be allowed to fly there. You certainly can zoom in and find irregularities, but that's not how it's intended to be used. I find this sufficient for flying in a proper height. Not great but sufficient. That's just what PG can deliver those days, and in no way does it compare to London, also w.r.t to the colors.

There are a few houses close to the airport which indeed look bad from closeup  upon takeoff but I am sure FB will take care of them in an update.

I made a lot of experimenting with PG when the London "Upgrade" was released, and the outcome was nil. Neither did caching on/off help nor did the new system I got in the meantime. Low bandwidth plus a weak CPU can certainly make things worse, but according to my experience it's basically in the data. Where MS can source good raw data, it looks acceptable, where they can't it doesn't (and they better should avoid such cities IMO).

If you ask for tricks, a factor often overlooked is the in-game Zoom setting. You can make every photogrammetry look bad by choosing a sufficiently high zoom factor. Mine (80) is certainly borderline already.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

16 hours ago, brucewtb said:

I have the same connection speed but NZWN is a molten mess in the surrounding suburbs with PG enabled.  I can deal with PG not working in city centres (I just avoid them) but in this case it is just so in your face and unavoidable particularly from RWY16.  I could get a faster connection but it is unclear whether this would help.  If there are any other tricks to getting PG working I am all ears.

Bruce

Try just deleting PG Cities from the WU12 update.  Leave PG enabled in the sim.

Bert

6 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Try just deleting PG Cities from the WU12 update.  Leave PG enabled in the sim.

Will this help with NZWN where the buildings now in PG are part of the airport scenery?  Hopefully FB will come up with a fix.  I guess my problem is that I am very familiar with NZWN and its surrounds in real life I know what the buildings look like(mostly residential homes in the Californian bungalow style).  FB did a great job with NZWN it is a shame to have it ruined with buggy PG.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

Will this help with NZWN where the buildings now in PG are part of the airport scenery?  Hopefully FB will come up with a fix.  I guess my problem is that I am very familiar with NZWN and its surrounds in real life I know what the buildings look like(mostly residential homes in the Californian bungalow style).  FB did a great job with NZWN it is a shame to have it ruined with buggy PG.

Bruce

Try it.. and report back!

Bert

On 2/28/2023 at 4:10 AM, hanhamreds said:

anyone else getting CTD when loading Auckland discovery flight?

had a quick scan of posts and couldn’t see this mentioned. 

I had an issue with loading into NZAA from Flightbeam until I removed this freeware scenery - lswainstudiosnz-airport-nzar-auckland.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning in case you have these sceneries.  Could help.

Jase

• Like 1

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

Now just to elaborate as others have noted the PG of the downtown Wellington area is very good but if you fly over the city you will notice that quality deteriorates markedly as you move across the surrounding residential areas including the area around the airport - which is the problem.  I think a number of the buildings in the CBD must be hand crafted because if you turn off PG at first glance it looks much the same - you have to look closely to spot the differences.  I take it that you can't just turn off PG for Wellington - you would need to delete the entry in Content Manager for NZ PG cities - thus removing all PG content for NZ?

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

3 hours ago, brucewtb said:

I think a number of the buildings in the CBD must be hand crafted because if you turn off PG at first glance it looks much the same - you have to look closely to spot the differences. 

I guess this was the point I tried to make (badly) earlier in the thread. With PG turned off for me NZWN looks incredibly detailed and sharp, the buildings around the airport are well modeled and the CBD area is as good as it gets imo. For now I don't see the point of turning on PG and risk losing that fidelity. I guess it works for some and doesn't for others, the reasons don't seem to be well known but its not as simple as "You have a bandwidth problem" - I have an excellent download and upload connection and still have problems with PG.

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

7 minutes ago, El Diablito said:

I have an excellent download and upload connection and still have problems with PG.

Define "excellent", I have 800-1000 Mbps download rate and never any issues with PG. Around NZWN yes, but I am sure this will be fixed sooner or later by Flightbeam. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hello,

When I first flew over Auckland, the scenery was awful with melted buidings all over the place. I have a poor internet connection. PG is on. I have a 1070 video card. I tried enabling the scenery cache and the rendition was excellent. Isn'it why the scenery cache is implemented?

As a side note, I am always impressed by the power of the computations that are required to display so many details, buildings, trees, lightings, shadows, terrain, clouds, cockpit view, everything in a dynamic enviroment. For someone who studied 8 bit microprocessors in the early eighties, I find it mind blowing!

Edited by yankeegolf3
typo