Sign in to follow this  
Paul K

What's the Caribou like ?

6 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

I just wanted to say the Caribou is not a local legend in New Zealand. Never was and never will be. My theory is that Orbx (an Australian crowd) had a lot more to do with this update than Asobo did! Or at least they were given considerable latitude and license to the extent that their Air Force's short field transport aircraft became New Zealand's local legend. Eye roll!!

There are plenty of local aviation legends in NZ and some of them quite famous like Jean Batten, but they have been ignored by Asobo/Orbx.  I know, the Caribou is probably more interesting than some other types but make it a famous flyer or something. New Zealand often gets confused as being part of Australia and so we probably have that small brother syndrome.... a bit like Canada and the US. So we covert what we know is ours and get a lilttle word not alloweded off when people invariably say things like 'Wow, I loved that NZ Caribou!!!  Another eye roll!! 

Still, what is done is done but it is damned disappointing because another opportunity to showcase NZ aviation in this manner will probably never arise again. And, NZ aviation is quite legendary. Just Wiki Richard Pearce and see how close a New Zealand aviation pioneer came to tipping the Wright Bros off their podium! 

Onward and upward.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Cheers

Terry.  

This would have been a better choice, Air New Zealand's very first aircraft::

Short Brothers S.30 C Class Empire Flying Boat ZK-AMA 'Aotearoa'

2014_1_13_23_1-web_667_500_95_c1.jpg

tbirDVq.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

I was surprised there’s no autopilot, is that prototypical?  I figured with the era and mission profile of this aircraft it would at least have something basic.

It has a heading select bug and an altitude alert light…wouldn’t that point toward an autopilot (particularly the altitude alert)?

I was as surprised as you, but it's true - the Caribou wasn't equipped with an autopilot. Prototypical ? Not sure; maybe it only applies to the aircraft modelled. Maybe other, later examples did have an AP.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

2 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

Anyone been able to get a basic Autopilot going, such as Keystroke Z to turn AP On, then Ctrl + A for Altitude hold & Ctrl + H for Heading hold?

This hasn't worked for me on the Caribou,  yet most other aircraft will respond to it.

If you do have an AP working, are there switches etc to flick before Keyboard strokes?

T45

Haven't been able to get any autopilot functionality. Not with SPADNext, the PMS750 or anything else. Seems like I've just got to fly it.

Edited by jarmstro

Just now, Paul K said:

I was as surprised as you, but it's true - the Caribou wasn't equipped with an autopilot. Prototypical ? Not sure; maybe it only applies to the aircraft modelled. Maybe other, later examples did have an AP.

I like  flyingironsimulation  approach where they include optional autopilot in tablet for P-38. It would be nice to have something like that in Caribou. Default autopilot binding would suffice as well 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I broke down and bought it, I actually love it. It flies really nice and most things are modeled, with a little more work this plane could easily be "study level"(I hate that term). It is detailed enough to keep you pretty busy. I really hope they spend a little time on this plane to make it a bit better(working windows, working wipers). NICE plane!

• Like 3

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

9 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

I just wanted to say the Caribou is not a local legend in New Zealand. Never was and never will be. My theory is that Orbx (an Australian crowd) had a lot more to do with this update than Asobo did! Or at least they were given considerable latitude and license to the extent that their Air Force's short field transport aircraft became New Zealand's local legend. Eye roll!!

There are plenty of local aviation legends in NZ and some of them quite famous like Jean Batten, but they have been ignored by Asobo/Orbx.  I know, the Caribou is probably more interesting than some other types but make it a famous flyer or something. New Zealand often gets confused as being part of Australia and so we probably have that small brother syndrome.... a bit like Canada and the US. So we covert what we know is ours and get a lilttle word not alloweded off when people invariably say things like 'Wow, I loved that NZ Caribou!!!  Another eye roll!!     

The Local Legend that released during the Canada World Update was also not Canadian.

Though that was because they decided to include the actual Canada Local Legend for free in the Anniversary update instead.

Edited by Tuskin38

On 2/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, Dominique_K said:

Thanks to all the enthusiasm on this thread and Chris Jaensch's article, I finally buckled and bought it.  Having a lot of fun with it.  Once I figured out the gust lock, that is...

19 minutes ago, JabbleWok said:

Thanks to all the enthusiasm on this thread and Chris Jaensch's article, I finally buckled and bought it.  Having a lot of fun with it.  Once I figured out the gust lock, that is...

See page 1-26 if it helps 😁

http://www.dhc4and5.org/C-7A USAF Flight Manual T-0-1C-7A-1 (10-14-74).pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The GNS 430 is not working properly, though the panel.cfg includes the Working Title 430.

The NAV Frequency only shows 0.0 / 0.0

When entering a flightplan with Departure and Arrival Airports, the GPS don´t show the distance or Dep/Arr Airports on the first NAv page.

Selecting GPS as Nav source does not make the OBI or Compass needles indicate direction or xtrack error.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX4070 12GB, 1 x 1TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home, Meta Quest 3

Wothan pointed out the problem with the GNS 430 not operating properly. I tried everything. Since they include the GNS and have navigation source buttons I hope that will be fixed in an update. 

15 hours ago, gabejo said:

Wothan pointed out the problem with the GNS 430 not operating properly. I tried everything. Since they include the GNS and have navigation source buttons I hope that will be fixed in an update. 

Who was the developer of the Caribou?  Be keen to find out who they are and how they missed this in beta testing.  Also be good to have the auto lean detent like in the real aircraft.  

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

2 minutes ago, JaseMelbo said:

Who was the developer of the Caribou?  Be keen to find out who they are and how they missed this in beta testing.  Also be good to have the auto lean detent like in the real aircraft.  

Orbx

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

I never knew OrbX actually had in house developers, perhaps they just contract out stuff like Milviz does with certain jobs

Edited by Pathfinder633

57 minutes ago, Pathfinder633 said:

I never knew OrbX actually had in house developers, perhaps they just contract out stuff like Milviz does with certain jobs

Well maybe they do, but it comes out under the Orbx brand.  They also released the PAC P-750 XSTOL in MSFS, which I have and is pretty good. 

And strangely enough, they also dabbled with releases in FSX.  One of them was I believe the Victa Aircruiser, built under licence in Hamilton, New Zealand (as a trainer for the NZ Airforce and a few others).
It was then known as the PAC CT/4 Airtrainer, and would have been a more appropriate candidate for a 'Local Legend' I think, but the Caribou is unique and a lot more interesting, so I am not complaining.  :biggrin:

I would still love a CT/4 though - a lovely little aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAC_CT/4_Airtrainer

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.