Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

Neofly and OnAir

Hey all,

To those of you who enjoy career mode addons - if both were free, or at least cost the same amount, which of these would be the richer career addon in terms of features and things to do? I'm thinking in terms of if money were no object (otherwise its not really a fair comparison!)

Onair is a lot more full-featured so I'd pick that if both were free. But they aren't, and I'm not a fan of monthly subscriptions for software that doesn't need it (i.e., Navigraph is fine because they're updating the AIRACs every month, but Adobe can go jump in a lake with their pay-as-you-go photoshop garbage). Being that Neofly is free, I go with that.  BTW, v4 is coming out soon, and the beta is showing it's gonna be an improvement over v3.

Im not a fan of subscriptions but OnAir to me has been worth it. If you can justify a subscription for Netflix, Amazon, Does anyone here pay for lounge access at airports? I use OnAir more than I use the skyclub at my local airport and yet here I am paying for the credit card just for lounge access...... The bottom line is if you use OnAir as much as I do ( I never fly without it) then it just becomes worth it. They are still developing it and the devs listen to the community. Its not like alot of other products where you put in suggestions and nothing ever comes of it. It feels like this subscription model with OnAir is actually keeping them honest as well which is good for the customer. If you are a fan of AirHauler 2 or ever used FS Economy then OnAir is a no brainer. If you strictly just want a flight/mission generator then maybe OnAir isnt worth it but I love a sense of "ownership" in flight sim with aircraft but I also want to run my own company. OnAir does this the best. Once they add aircraft damage from crashes/stress Ill be forever a happy customer. I'm monitoring NeoFly right now though. The last time I used it the UI was so clunky I uninstalled it immediately but people are saying v4 is good so lets see

And for real lets be honest. its $2.67 per month for a 2 year subscription lol I cant believe people act like this is so bad compared to Free Neofly. yet we are okay paying PMDG 70 bucks for a 737-800 + another 70% of that for a stretched version -900 model. I can easily afford 2.67 a month especially after starbucks lost my business with them requiring 200 stars now for a free drink 🤣

Edited by environmental_ice
  • Like 1

Wasn't overly impressed with Neofly when I tried it (a while ago though). Not a fan of monthly subscriptions although tried ONAir twice. But now on AirHauler2, does everything I want without the subscription.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

also just wanted to chime in on v4. I donated to try and check it out. maybe its good but its still suffering from the issues that make me not use NeoFly in the first place. Its slow, clunky and response time of the app is VERY SLOW. I get its free but its free for a reason. Not trying to knock the addon at all but its just not what Im looking for. Its slower than AirHauler 2 and that is just a deal breaker for me

4 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

Wasn't overly impressed with Neofly when I tried it (a while ago though). Not a fan of monthly subscriptions although tried ONAir twice. But now on AirHauler2, does everything I want without the subscription.

G

If I could get to grips with Air Hauler I would be so happy. I used it and It just confused the heck out of me.

Yes, AirHauler2 is terrible outdated, the interface is not user friendlich (try on a 4K screen...), and it seems to be abandoned - there is no support or development anymore.

Anyway it does it job to give you some transport tasks, earn virtual money...it works, but the others have other disadvantages.

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Coming from FSCaptain in P3D I really wanted something to add meaning/purpose, so I bought AH2.  I gave it a good whirl but it's 98% airline company management and flying/piloting is hardly a focus.  Was very happy to get rid of AH2 when I discovered A Pilot's Life Chapter 2.  This is a fabulous work under active development with over 5000 active users currently.  It is ultra pilot-focused:  for starters all flights are scored according to a robust set of criteria which really helps me stay focused from gate to gate.  Here's that set:

spacer.png

In addition you will be hired by an airline, can apply for jobs w/ any other airline, and fly actual routes they use in the RW.  You need to obtain a license for each airframe class and that is done by purchasing, not the goofy go up do a loop and land in AH2 in order to prove your ability to fly the plane.  Initially there until you have acquired some coin it can feel a little restrictive in that you're stuck in that airline but soon you will have enough cash to fly outside of your career anywhere on the planet.  I started w/ Endeavor, and once one is tired of the many routes in the schedules that are created for you (and must be accepted by you) one can apply for a new airline to work for and I love that part.  I recently flew for Japan Airlines for about 3-4 weeks or so then applied for and was hired by New Zealand Airlines in time for the WU12.  This takes me to myriad airports I never would have know about and it's been fabulous.  Here is an example of a schedule when I was flying for Air France a while back:  one can choose a mix of short/medium/long flights or just stick w/ short or whatever works for you.  The developer was wise to allow you to fly any plane you are licensed to fly, so for example on this first entry to LFPO the default aircraft was A321, but you are free to fly a B738 or whatever you're licensed to fly as desired.  Fabulous program and use it always now.  My pilot rating is hovering just below 99% and it's been so hard to get over that hurdle but I keep trying!   The program is $30 Eur:spacer.png

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

7 minutes ago, Noel said:

Coming from FSCaptain in P3D I really wanted something to add meaning/purpose, so I bought AH2.  I gave it a good whirl but it's 98% airline company management and flying/piloting is hardly a focus.  Was very happy to get rid of AH2 when I discovered A Pilot's Life Chapter 2.  This is a fabulous work under active development with over 5000 active users currently.  It is ultra pilot-focused:  for starters all flights are scored according to a robust set of criteria which really helps me stay focused from gate to gate.  Here's that set:

spacer.png

In addition you will be hired by an airline, can apply for jobs w/ any other airline, and fly actual routes they use in the RW.  You need to obtain a license for each airframe class and that is done by purchasing, not the goofy go up do a loop and land in AH2 in order to prove your ability to fly the plane.  Initially there until you have acquired some coin it can feel a little restrictive in that you're stuck in that airline but soon you will have enough cash to fly outside of your career anywhere on the planet.  I started w/ Endeavor, and once one is tired of the many routes in the schedules that are created for you (and must be accepted by you) one can apply for a new airline to work for and I love that part.  I recently flew for Japan Airlines for about 3-4 weeks or so then applied for and was hired by New Zealand Airlines in time for the WU12.  This takes me to myriad airports I never would have know about and it's been fabulous.  Here is an example of a schedule when I was flying for Air France a while back:  one can choose a mix of short/medium/long flights or just stick w/ short or whatever works for you.  The developer was wise to allow you to fly any plane you are licensed to fly, so for example on this first entry to LFPO the default aircraft was A321, but you are free to fly a B738 or whatever you're licensed to fly as desired.  Fabulous program and use it always now.  My pilot rating is hovering just below 99% and it's been so hard to get over that hurdle but I keep trying!   The program is $30 Eur:spacer.png

This looks interesting. Which planes are supported? Is the CJ4, Longitude and HondaJet available? What about the Caravan?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

5 minutes ago, RobJC said:

This looks interesting. Which planes are supported? Is the CJ4, Longitude and HondaJet available? What about the Caravan?

Supported are planes that use RW routes so that is what it's based on--IOW, of CJ4, Longitude, HondaJet aren't part of an airlines actual fleet you will not see License options for those planes.  They do have a category called, "Other" so perhaps you can sub those planes in that is my guess.  I currently use A320NX, CRJ700/550, and PMDG 738.  Here's the list of class licenses and as you can see there is the generic Other at the bottom.  Below this is an example of a 4 star airlines, Aeromexico, showing you which airframes are in its fleet.  Even though Aeromexico does not use CRJ in its fleet I can still fly it if desired, therein lies some of the flexibility built in.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, RobJC said:

You can actually fly any plane you like, but you can only obtain licenses for the planes Noel posted above. If you like to fly the BAe 146 instead, just generate a flight for, say, an A320, and fly it with a BAe 146. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

Yes, AirHauler2 is terrible outdated, the interface is not user friendlich (try on a 4K screen...), and it seems to be abandoned - there is no support or development anymore.

I mean other than stuff that is opinion, the rest is completely made up.......

It's not abandoned.

There is support.

There is ongoing development.

Try either the forums or Discord, Slopey is active in both.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron