Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

Fenix A320 substantial new update from Aamir

https://fenixsim.com/blog/entries/2023-05-19_anniversary/

Wowsa what an update... just finished reading and re-reading the very beginning part about the new engine physics (and that is just one part of a huge update on the various improvements coming). Will just post this one portion to illustrate the kind of details in this update:

:
:

What you see here is an interaction between the thermal model of the engine’s core, the modelling of the EGT probe, and airflow modelling of the N1 and N2 fans, demonstrating thermal transfer properties between the core, the air mass through the engine (and around it), and the probe. The EGT probe sits on a strut toward the exhaust shroud of the engine, whereas the core is naturally nestled within the actual turbine itself. Your EGT reading in the flight deck does not, therefore, tell you about the temperature of the core - it simply tells you about the temperature of the exhaust gas. However, the exhaust gas is influenced by the turbine core temperature, the airflow through the core, and out the exhaust and therefore effects like the one you see above occur.

So what is actually happening? Well, what you’re seeing is a shutdown. Seems simple, right? Engine off, so EGT goes down. Not quite, as you can see. Observed on IAEs in the real world, after a fairly rapid drop in EGT reading, it actually stops and starts climbing again, before stabilising, and beginning its progressive drop toward OAT. So why does this happen? As the N1 and N2 fans stop rotating they stop driving air through and around the core; This leads to a relatively quick drop in the EGT probe’s readings as the exhaust air quickly becomes replaced with ambient air around it - however, the core (being slower to cool) continues to progressively diffuse its heat toward the EGT probe, eventually reaching a heat transfer equilibrium, and then thereafter actually heating the probe up again! Eventually, as the core also begins to cool, the entire system stabilises and finally begins losing heat, trending towards OAT, but this time slower - as the combination of core heat, the EGT probe’s thermal model, and OAT begin playing with one another having all settled toward the cooling bias. Pretty nifty stuff (and hideous to code dynamically rather than as a scripted event..)!
:
:

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 17
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

They never disappoint, it is already a pleasure to fly.  

• Like 4

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

@Aamir Really appreciate the "Maybe a little text will come outta me" to give us today's detailed update.

Happy birthday Fenix A320.

Edited by F737MAX
typo
  • Like 5

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 minutes ago, rocketlaunch said:

They never do, and what a pleasure to read/watch a meaty deep dive like they used to do pre-release! When it comes to high fidelity simulation, it's all in the details especially when it comes to physics.. another nugget from the blog post:

A fun detail we didn’t get a video of, but that our devs wanted you to know about (I was directly told this needed to be included), was that core heat actually interacts with the oil temperature, even. Oil flows inside the engine veins, and is influenced by the heat of the core. When the core is hot, the oil will carry some of that heat with it as it flows through the veins and back out again. Ultimately, the teeny tiny detail of going through the hassle of modelling this behaviour and subsequent thermodynamic interaction is when you shut the engines down, the oil temperature will simply be higher than when you first started, and will then cool over time. But it won’t just fall to the temperature it was before you started. Cool little details make the whole thing come alive.

• Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

Very cool!  I can't wait.  The Fenix is very immersive and just feels like you are there. 😃

• Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

So that's what they've been up to for this duration.......no wonder. 

This will be big indeed.....

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Great News!!!

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

@Aamir firstly a very happy birthday to the team and muchos thanks for your "little text" update on what appears to be a very big v2 update coming.

Was very interesting to read your bits about how V2 will work around and compensate for the inherent ground handling and ground<->air transition issues in the sim to fix the crosswind landings/takeoffs. Are you planning (if not already) to pass on feedback to MS/Asobo re: this aspect of the sim? It appears they have planned major rework in this area and nothing like expert advice/feedback from the likes of Fenix.
I presume the current modelling in MSFS of wheels as points (even when combined with the SU10 parameters for ground handling) is nothing compared to modelling of wheel physics in their full form.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len

30 minutes ago, rocketlaunch said:

here here sir !

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

This development was an eye-watering investment, both in time and money, but the end result is an infrastructure we can use across various different aircraft engines, type agnostic. It’s a cool piece of tech that should help future Fenix products as much as it will help the IAEs right now - and for that reason it was worth pursuing.

A319 or A321 incoming from Fenix.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 6

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Now that’s an in depth update.

Vast difference between the drivel/nothing/waffle that PMDG release and this.

Nice work Fenix.

Edited by flightskyc
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Looks great! Really glad they have fixed the crosswind landing/takeoffs. It's the only thing that has bugged me, when flying it.

Can't wait for the IAE to come.

Daniel

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC | CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D  | Memory : Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 | Motherboard : Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX | Win : 11.

Amir  and team cant wait thank you 

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Now that's an update that deserves its name. Very very very well done @Aamir