Sign in to follow this  
UAL4life

No more live weather thunderstorms?

Ok guys I can also confirm that thunder and lightning is definitely in the sim. I used a real world lightning tracker, loaded up the sim starting right where a nice storm was happening (the Bahamas in this case) and there is indeed electrical booming going on. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

58 minutes ago, Krakin said:

electrical booming

👍🏻🤩🫡

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

It's been over a year since I've seen lightning, but I don't usually fly into storms. If I did ever have to fly a plane (don't worry I won't ever have to), then I don't want to develop a theoretical bad habit of flying into lightning, riding the lightning, or lightning coming into the cockpit. No thanks, I'll pass.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

15 hours ago, scotchegg said:

There's been a lot of dissatisfaction voiced on pretty much every platform about clouds and weather since SU7, but AFAIK they haven't touched it on the dev streams for a very long time.

Unfortunately the weather related threads in the official forums tend to follow a certain pattern: in the beginning a variety of users contribute with short messages, added with screenshots to emphasize their point. It then boils down to a Few pleading their case with mostly well thought, but lengthy, text overladen and repetitive posts, so that most casual forum visitors, although they might be generally interested in the matter, probably won't bother to participate.

And indeed the communication from MS is awkward. In Sep. 21 Jorg Neumann announced SU7 and a further, "spectacular" weather update for 2022/23 - which didn't happen - and then back in Nov. 2022 he announced talks with Meteoblue about data resolution, WXradar Api and "future features" and promised to inform about the outcome in early 2023 - also never happened. Instead the last Q&A delivered some vague statements hinting at opening the weather for third parties, which was sacrosanct from the beginning. While some users think the radio silence hints for a  "surprise"  announced for later this year, I fear it has more to do with overload.

Edited by Tom_L
  • Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

4 hours ago, Tom_L said:

While some users think the radio silence hints for a  "surprise"  announced for later this year, I fear it has more to do with overload

Right, not sure where folks are coming up with that - very unlikely Asobo would keep a "spectacular" weather update under wraps, others tend to think it is seasons, but again I highly doubt that too.

It's probably a free scenery or airplane - which don't get me wrong those are always very much appreciated! But weather overhaul needs to be attended to. What is funny to me (but really not) is how acceptable the live weather was at release, until they screwed it all up. (not the accuracy of the live weather at release, but more the organic, natural and realistic "rendition" of the clouds/weather).

Edited by KERNEL32
spelling
  • Like 3

I have a video I made a little over two years ago of a landing at Atlanta in a typical stormy day. https://youtu.be/zLbfoj4oAjo

It was very exciting with the lightning and thunder happening all over the place.

I have flown maybe 100 flights lately in the same stormy type conditions without EVER seeing any lightning.

Boy, I sure do miss it.

• Like 1

I was flying somewhere the other day, believe it was out in West Texas and actually saw a couple of bolts of lightning. It's the first I've seen in probably over a year.

John Snyder Jr

Credit where credit is due as MSFS can look stunning at times, but yeah that picture is blatantly photoshopped and I didn't need to read the thread/link to see that.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Saw lightning in the sim on two days ago north of Key West, which comported with the actual weather at the time. So it's there, but perhaps not as fully represented as it might be. There is a web site that displays global lightning info in near real time

https://map.blitzortung.org/#1/30.4/8

so the source of RW information appears to be available, even for the oceans.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I wonder if, in real life, pilots find that the conditions when they landed didn't quite match the ATIS or ASOS?

2 hours ago, rjquick said:

I wonder if, in real life, pilots find that the conditions when they landed didn't quite match the ATIS or ASOS?

Frequently. METARs and ATIS weather is just a snapshot from a ground based station at the time the bulletin was published and obviously the weather changes until a new one is issued.

I saw a video of SFO landings the other day with lots of go arounds. The wind report the tower gave was something like 5 kts, slight head and crosswind. Every go around however reported 15 to 20 kts tailwind, which wasn't in compliance with the METAR at all.

Edited by Nixoq

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

2 hours ago, Nixoq said:

Frequently. METARs and ATIS weather is just a snapshot from a ground based station at the time the bulletin was published and obviously the weather changes until a new one is issued.

I saw a video of SFO landings the other day with lots of go arounds. The wind report the tower gave was something like 5 kts, slight head and crosswind. Every go around however reported 15 to 20 kts tailwind, which wasn't in compliance with the METAR at all.

Indeed. My post was quite rhetorical as it seems that what people are asking for doesn't even happen IRL all the time. That being conditions on the ground precisely matching ATIS reports. Even watching videos of pilots online you will often hear them getting updated weather information from the tower when they are near the airport and it may differ from their last automated report.

It also seems like people may be viewing FS weather in the opposite way that weather actually happens. Actual weather doesn't start by nailing down the weather precisely at reporting stations and filling in the blanks in between. Weather is constantly evolving and the conditions at any location on the ground just is what it is at the moment. Meaning that if FS is actually trying to simulate moving and changing weather systems that are based on the data from the local stations, the weather could be changing rapidly (or not). I recall that FSX took the ATIS quite literally and the conditions at the airport were precisely what the ATIS said. You can certainly argue if that was accurate or not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They must be monitoring Avsim:  I had not seen ANY t-storm lightening for a year or what have you, and now two flights in a row.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Yep I saw lightning today near Omaha NE and there was a T storm there indicated by radar.  First time I've seen it in over a year in msfs.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's storm season lol. There was a thread like this not too long ago and I was able to track and find lightning in the sim back then.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.