Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

No, this is not a completely new release.

Well, in the official PC Game Pass Twitter thread it was asked if it's indeed a sequel, not an update. Answer: "that's right, a brand new sequel".

So I guess it will indeed be a new purchase.

But I still assume it will be (mostly) backwards compatible, similar to new Prepar3D versions to previous ones, or X-Plane 12 to X-Plane 11 (maybe needed a few updates, possibly payware developers could charge an update fee for that, depending on how much effort it needs).

• Like 2

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Just now, sd_flyer said:

It's like windows 11 while still get support of windows 10 

Win 10 has the position it does because so many PC can't handle 11.

I'm not quite sure that's what we're going to see here.

Just now, BrandonPoore61 said:

It's been 1 hour since the announcement. At least give them a chance to give more information

That's why I have that guy on ignore.

Anyway, folks, it would make zero business sense for MS to have us purchase all of our add-ons again. I do not see a new engine in use, just an improved one. You don't throw out millions of dollars worth of digital content just because you're updating the sim. Day one they will have a lot of new buyers coming to the ecosystem and they will have a ton of things to choose from on the marketplace. That's what MS wants. File this under the paid subscription cabinet, as @Sethos alluded to earlier.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

6 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Oh boy, we're back to the classic Avsim oxygen deprived debates like just before the release of MSFS, where so many people were sure it would be a SUBSCRIPTION ONLY sim, because of Game Pass, having zero clue what it was to begin with and we'd 100% have to PAY for streaming data, because it was soooo costly, no way that would be part of the base sim!!

No, this is not a completely new release. This is like so many other games in the live service sphere; a continual release cycle of a current ecosystem. Of course they aren't going to nuke the entire marketplace, nuke all the third party work, nuke the entire financial underpinnings of the simulator to start over. That is literally how live service games work; it's a perpetual world that sees constant upgrades and support, which brings in more people and is financially very attractive. It's not uncommon to keep branding new content releases and seasons as almost a new full release, that's to generate additional hype, especially for new users who hasn't dipped their toes in yet.

They have already said its a new squeal so who knows but Inibuilds confirmed they were not aware of the new sim. 

2 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

That's all very well and good but why no f*cking communication then? A short press release would be nice 🙄

Dude, it hasn't even been a day. Relax 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matchstick said:

Win 10 has the position it does because so many PC can't handle 11.

I'm not quite sure that's what we're going to see here.

OK may be no exact analogy. May be it's like Visual Studio where old version are still supported but every few years there is new version

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Just now, carlanthony24 said:

Can only hope it would be like an acceleration package like they did with FSX

Me too!

Just now, carlanthony24 said:

Can only hope it would be like an acceleration package like they did with FSX

It's definitely quite a lot more than that. Animations are vastly improved, there are seasons and even tornadoes 

6 minutes ago, V1ROTA7E said:

It's the same sim. It would make absolutely no sense for them to create a whole new flight simulator...and why would they show seasons if it was a "new sim?" It's branding, folks. If it was a "new sim" I highly doubt it'd be an "open world" experience....it would appear to be a bunch of neat mission packs. I genuinely think this will be an expansion that will make the flight sim "MSFS 2024" similar to ARMA 3 expansions, for example. It's the same base platform.

You speculate, I quote what they say.  

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I don't mind to get new version of the sim. My worries is about existing add ons! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Krakin said:

It's definitely quite a lot more than that. Animations are vastly improved, there are seasons and even tornadoes 

I know till we hear something concrete from the devs it is all speculation 

9 minutes ago, BrandonPoore61 said:

It's been 1 hour since the announcement. At least give them a chance to give more information

Already confirmed to be a "sequel"....

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I would think we'd be able to 'upgrade' from our current sim without losing everything.  I really hope that's the case.  Same with our cloud settings.

Watching the trailer there still seems like quite a bit of work to be done.  In seasons I didn't see the grass change color with the trees.  Looks like the same cloud rendering to me.  Hopefully they got the bigger WX package from Mateo they've been talking about.

I really like the fires.  There's great mapping on actual fires in a lot of countries, so I hope that actually makes it in to live weather.

Still lots of basic features to get fixed in the core sim.

I think the new 'version' is more branding than an actual new version.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen
  • Like 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply