Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

MSFS 2024 FAQ now up

47 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Only for those with silly high standards.

this is normal for the industry

Normal doesn't mean right. Look at it in this context.

• You release a new product with a ten year life span and a yearly road map
  • Community buys into said road map and vision
  • Third party partners with msoft and buys into roadmap and vision
  • Community pays into the marketplace and buys into the vision
  • Asobo and Microsoft seemingly dedicate themselves to the vision by producing content
  • In a lot of peoples eyes, the sim is seemingly still not at its expected potential (lots of outstanding bugs etc)

Then:

• Three years in you drop a new game on the community and third party devs completely out of the blue, with no explanation with how it will work, how it fits with the vision everyone is bought into.

Thats not high standards its just common sense fella. People are human and they usually need explanations when it basically will effect their investment of time and money.

Edited by Ant1975uk
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 5

I wonder if we have to redo all the control settings from scratch? It's not something I feel like go through again.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

55 minutes ago, Ant1975uk said:

Normal doesn't mean right. Look at it in this context.

• You release a new product with a ten year life span and a yearly road map
  • Community buys into said road map and vision
  • Third party partners with msoft and buys into roadmap and vision
  • Community pays into the marketplace and buys into the vision
  • Asobo and Microsoft seemingly dedicate themselves to the vision by producing content
  • In a lot of peoples eyes, the sim is seemingly still not at its expected potential (lots of outstanding bugs etc)

Then:

• Three years in you drop a new game on the community and third party devs completely out of the blue, with no explanation with how it will work, how it fits with the vision everyone is bought into.

Thats not high standards its just common sense fella. People are human and they usually need explanations when it basically will effect their investment of time and money.

Couldn‘t have said it any better. I don‘t know what would be worse: That they didn‘t know how to communicate it better or that they didn‘t care, because… well they just want the XBox crowd to watch the video and buy MSFS 2024.
In any way it‘s inacceptable and reminds me of the early days when they were doing all kind of mistakes. Then as now I assume Microsoft behind this, pushing for sales and stuff and threatening to pull the plug. I actually was nostalgic of P3D‘s stability and predictibality today… go figure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I wonder if we have to redo all the control settings from scratch? It's not something I feel like go through again.

This has already happened in updates of MSFS 2020 if you were there soon enougth ...

5 minutes ago, cercata said:

This has already happened in updates of MSFS 2020 if you were there soon enougth ...

Updates are one thing, a useless sequel is another thing. 

Edited by Jeeeno

1 minute ago, Jeeeno said:

Updates are one thing, a useless sequel is another thing. 

What I meant is that if that already happened with a "simple update", with a "brand new (rebaked) game", don't even dream to keep the control mapping 

Well, the FAQs have answered my questions/worries, so I'm a happy bunny (not that anyone cares, reasonably enough). I will happily pay for the new version, and the one after, etc, etc. And the only reason I'm posting this is just in case anyone at MS/Asobo does actually look at any of these threads, I'd like to offer a small crumb of encouragement, rather than all the ranting and complaining.

I wonder how many of the folk complaining about the possibility of having to pay for the new version used P3D in the past. And did they ever upgrade from release to release? And if they did, did they pay the full price or were they all suddenly accredited students?

MSFS has been astonishingly good value since release, with all the various updates. Ok, it may not be perfect for everybody's tastes - it's perfectly fine for me, but then I'm not a 'real simmer' (or 'cockpit-botherer' as I like to think of them) - but I don't believe anybody's created the perfect sim yet.

I am looking forward to this coming out, and in the meantime will continue to use, and probably buy addons for, MSFS 2020, along with XP12, AFS2, and although it's extremely unlikely I'd even be willing to look at P3D v6 if such a thing ever happens.

The FAQ should have been on the end of the trailer, for sure, but that's Microsoft for you. They occasionally produce decent products, in spite of themselves, but their marketing and presentation style owes a lot to Atilla the Hun, Inc.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

3 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Well, the FAQs have answered my questions/worries

Does the FAQ say if you'll be able to do in MSFS 2024 everything you can do in MSFS 2020 ? Or some will need both installed ?

3 hours ago, Ant1975uk said:

People are human and they usually need explanations when it basically will effect their investment of time and money.

It is surprising to see how a multi-billion dollars company has yet to grasp the essence of a good commercial communication...

To launch a teaser about a new product scheduled to replace the present one - with no previous warning of any kind - with no appropriate, timely and complete information on the consequences to its present market base, is simply unbelievable. In other words, throw the teaser first, let everyone get worried, angry, anxious, or ecstatic, and then, having achieved informational chaos, start to release bits of confusing or incomplete information to the masses so that even more misinformation will circulate and aggravate further!

Is it unreasonable to expect some kind of proper marketing planning on the part of Microsoft: (1) Release a teaser demonstrating what is in store (the teaser makes no clear statement regarding what the actual simulator core systems improvements are) and for when, (2) Clarify at the same time what will and what will not work in terms of third party addons (since they indicated that products sold on the MarketPlace will be compatible, it should mean that the same third party addon products sold both on the MarketPlace and independently should work What about the others?), (3) What will remain active and what will stop in MSFS 2020 (World Updates, Instrument updates, etc) since a lot of bugs are still unresolved like cars and trucks circulating on runways and taxiways, to only mention the first that comes to mind!

As it is today MSFS 2020 is a giant step forward in many ways and good value for money, but it still has fragile heels, be careful no to dump a clientele you successfully captured, learn how to keep it, anticipate what your marketing gimmicks are likely to generate. Perhaps hire a good communication manager to start with...

Edited by Bernard Ducret
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

3 hours ago, Funky D said:

And rightfully so! Asobo works for free after all, they don't deserve any more of our money. We deserve unlimited free updates until MSFS is a perfect replication of reality, because that is what they promised 3 years ago!

My sarcasm meter just exploded. You owe me a new one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bernard Ducret said:

It is surprising to see how a multi-billion dollars company has yet to grasp the essence of a good commercial communication...

To launch a teaser about a new product scheduled to replace the present one - with no previous warning of any kind - with no appropriate, timely and complete information on the consequences to its present market base, is simply unbelievable. In other words, throw the teaser first, let everyone get worried, angry, anxious, or ecstatic, and then, having achieved informational chaos, start to release bits of confusing or incomplete information to the masses so that even more misinformation will circulate and aggravate further!

Is it unreasonable to expect some kind of proper marketing planning on the part of Microsoft: (1) Release a teaser demonstrating what is in store (the teaser makes no clear statement regarding what the actual simulator core systems improvements are) and for when, (2) Clarify at the same time what will and what will not be work in terms of third party addons (since they indicated that products sold on the MarketPlace will be compatible, it should mean that the same third party addon products sold both on the MarketPlace and independently should work What about the others?), (3) What will remain active and what will stop in MSFS 2020 (World Updates, Instrument updates, etc) since a lot of bugs are still unresolved like cars and trucks circulating on runways and taxiways, to only mention the first that comes to mind!

As it is today MSFS 2020 is a giant step forward in many ways and good value for money, but it still has fragile heels, be careful no to dump a clientele you successfully captured, learn how to keep it, anticipate what your marketing gimmicks are likely to generate. Perhaps hire a good communication manager to start with...

That’s exactly the right way to behave, positive guys. The negativity around this announcement is honestly so sad to see.

Asobo and MS are currently doing a fantastic job, MSFS the best thing ever happened to the flight sim world, those guys showed multiple time they where listening to user. What we saw today is the announcement, the product is coming next year MS have pleinty time to give the community all the bells and whistles about this new product. Msfs 2020 will not be abandoned, compatibility is taken into account ….

Chill guys, simply wait and see what is comming

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

This is a test probe, and we have to be negative, so they don't become evil.

You are really naive, thinking Microsoft makes such big marketing mistakes.

Now the poor guys in Asobo will have to fix this mesh ... even if they didn't agree with this.

Edited by cercata
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bernard Ducret said:

honestly I have not been impressed since June, 2019 by their communication skill. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

12 minutes ago, cercata said:

This is a test probe, and we have to be negative, so they don't become evil.

You are really naive, thinking Microsoft makes such big marketing mistakes.

Now the poor guys in Asobo will have to fix this mesh ... even if they didn't agree with this.

Clearly you don’t have a clue about game development. That new sequel is almost done, nothing you’ll say now will change what it is.
Jorg is not stupid as you think and it was obvious from the start that compatibility was taken into account, I even believe the Cirrus VisionJet of the trailer is the same Cirrus we currently use from Flight FX. Without compatibility that new Flight just can’t get any sale….think about it in a buisness perspective…..poring tons of money into an SDK, into free content, then erase everything 3 year later…..that doesn’t makes any kind of sense…you want to build UPON, that’s what P3D does, that what Xplane does, that’s what MSFS will do 

Edited by cyril972
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

The amount of work that goes into MSFS is fairly staggering. Say what you want about bugs, very few non subscription based software products get anywhere near this level of support.

I believe there's far more to the Microsoft Flight Simulator engine than we think. Microsoft are all in on AI, building a 1/1 representation of the Earth and having simmers constantly checking every corner of it for accuracy feels like it has a huge potential across a significant number of industries, both military and civilian. I would be very surprised if the long term goal of MSFS wasn't to build a 1/1 Earth simulator down to the smallest level, catering to every type of meteorology.

When I read what I typed, it feels a bit conspiracy theory-ish. It isn't meant to be. I simply believe there's much more to the engine than they talk about in public.

Edited by Bigbluss
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1