Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

who is still buying stuff for 2020, since 2024 is coming out

Buying as per usual.  There is no reason to stop

• Like 2

Dont know if its been adressed, but for those that dont want to upgrade, will FS2020 still be playable or are we forced to update to continue playing MSFS and all our addons? I feel they could have waited atleast 2 more years before making it a payed upgrade…

42 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Dont know if its been adressed, but for those that dont want to upgrade, will FS2020 still be playable or are we forced to update to continue playing MSFS and all our addons? I feel they could have waited atleast 2 more years before making it a payed upgrade…

There's a vague FAQ that explains some bits.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

What an odd question.  There really isn't a flight sim addon out there that sells for a meaningful amount of money at all, not compared to what we spend on hardware for this hobby.  Who would limit their enjoyment to save a ridiculously small amount of money, even if you DID have to buy it again - which we have decent assurance that we will not?

Completely illogical.

• Like 4

Andrew Crowley

On 6/19/2023 at 9:12 AM, Sunshine13 said:

Well since 2024 was announced last week with the trailer, are u still buying stuff for 2020?  For me, I will not be buying anything until 2024 is coming out.  Just curious what everybody else is doing

Yes.

The hysterics that have followed the announcement of 2024 are simply hilarious. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eagles may soar, but alley cats don't get sucked into jet engines.

2 hours ago, MarcG said:

There's a vague FAQ that explains some bits.

Where?

4 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Where?

Here you go: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 FAQ - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Where it says this:

"We will continue to deliver our Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) Roadmap which has content ranging from Aircraft and Avionics Updates, Sim Updates, City and World Updates, and also the free Dune DLC. We will continue to support Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) post the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 launch."

Edited by Spike54
  • Upvote 1

Eagles may soar, but alley cats don't get sucked into jet engines.

Obviously we will have to wait and see exactly what the plan is, but I did wonder whether the new flight simulator might be focused on the missions demonstrated in the trailer, so it will be more focused, whereas the existing version will still be developed for general simulation.

But then again, I guess it wouldn't be called Flight Simulator 2024, if that were the case, it would probably have a different subtitle... 🤔

Personally still buying. Like others said, we have some assurances that things will remain compatible or be made compatible by the developers. And I’d like to think that developers releasing stuff right now know that FS2024 is coming. 

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

, but I did wonder whether the new flight simulator might be focused on the missions demonstrated in the trailer

No.

I will still buy as much as I did before (which isn't a lot anyway). 

I'm assuming FS2024 will be later in the year next year, so that's well over a year away most likely (and delays happen).  Even then, as many have said, MS has a FAQ up addressing this specifically.  It isn't like 2024 is starting all over. 

Now, the only thing I may be more hesitant to buy is something like a weather or ATC add-on.  Something like that might get changed in this new sim, but again, I didn't buy those anyway.  If a great payware plane comes out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy.  Scenery should be no problem as well. 

Basically, nothing has changed for me.  I fly 2020, I look at the roadmap every week.  Their FAQ addresses this clearly. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

The OP's question reminds me of the early days of MS 2020 -- nearly 3 years ago -- when some folks declared that they would wait to buy MS 2020 until all of its bugs were eliminated. Their choice, of course, but most of us (especially those advanced in age like me) figured that it made a lot more sense to enjoy the new sim, warts and all, than to wait around for perfection. The idea of putting off enjoyment of what we have now, simply because an announcement has been made of something better coming in the future, made no sense then and it doesn't now.

• Like 4

From my side there are no further investments planned in the old simulator.

Well so much for the doom and gloom narrative that MS nuked the third party market with that announcement.

• Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.