Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

who is still buying stuff for 2020, since 2024 is coming out

Well since 2024 was announced last week with the trailer, are u still buying stuff for 2020?  For me, I will not be buying anything until 2024 is coming out.  Just curious what everybody else is doing

• Like 1

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

I'm not stopping my enjoyment of the current sim waiting for a release in a year or so.  I'll continue to support the various developers making addons for the current MSFS.  

• Like 30
  • Upvote 2

I am fascinated to see the responses in this thread. Despite being assured by MS/Asobo themselves that the vast majority of FS2020 addons will be compatible with FS2024, it seems that some FS2020 users have still decided not to purchase anything else until FS2024 is released. Is this because you are not confident that compatibility is assured, or some other reason entirely?

• Like 9

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No. I've stopped buying. Unless a developer specifically states that any updates for 2024 will be free and that the product will indeed be updated, even if already compatible, to take advantage of any new features, I'll save my money. No point in paying twice.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

It has already been confirmed that our current add-ons will work on the new sim. Additionally, most of the big third party devs have said they will provide free compatibility upgrades if necessary. Keeping these facts in mind, I see no reason to hamper my enjoyment of 2020 now and I will continue to purchase any add-on that interests me.

• Like 20
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Just now, Christopher Low said:

I am fascinated to see the responses in this thread. Despite being assured by MS/Asobo themselves that the vast majority of FS2020 addons will be compatible with FS2024, it seems that some FS2020 users have still decided not to purchase anything else until FS2024 is released. Is this because you are not confident that compatibility is assured, or some other reason entirely?

Probably because they are afraid of upgrade fees. Me personally I think there's only three outcomes:

1) MSFS 2024 isn't as compatible as they said and devs have to do quite some work and therefore - justifiably - want an upgrade fee. In this case MSFS 2024 will utterly fail, because who wants to re-buy his 400 airports and lose another 200 because these devs don't update them anymore?

2) MSFS 2024 is as compatible as they say and devs have very little work, on par with a sim update. So they either don't want no upgrade fee or if they do, they'll feel the wrath of the community.

3) MSFS 2024 sucks and I stick with MSFS 2020 anyway.

In any of these outcomes me still buying scenery for 2020 is a sensible decision.

• Like 4

I want to enjoy the sim and take Asobo at their well publicised word that the vast majority of addons will work. Not going to stop enjoying the hobby for something that might perhaps maybe could occur in a year or so.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

2 minutes ago, Krakin said:

It has already been confirmed that our current add-ons will work on the new sim. Additionally, most of the big third party devs have said they will provide free compatibility upgrades if necessary. Keeping these facts in mind, I see no reason to hamper my enjoyment of 2020 now and I will continue to purchase any add-on that interests me.

To be correct, most have left themselves a backdoor open, saying "according to what Microsoft said about 2024" etc. So if it turns out that Microsoft overstated, they could still change their mind

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have no plans to buy the new sim anyway.  😉 

I'm going to continue to support the devs NOW and not just 'abandon them until next year'.  

• Like 5

I might be dead by the time 2024 comes out. Not feeling ancient or morbid, just existential. I'm here now, and using the current sim. So I'll buy stuff if I want it. Now. (assuming I've got the money, of course - death and taxes etc)

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

doesnt't bother me one bit. Will continue to purchase titles I find interesting for MSFS (2020).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

It depends on who the developer is. Take Just Flight for example; based on their track record, I have no doubt that JF will do whatever's necessary to ensure FS24 compatibility, and so I feel confident in buying their current and imminent releases. Flying Iron and Blackbox fall into the same category - they have built a reputation that will see them through this period of uncertainty.

Of course, there are other developers who might not bother, or who may charge an inordinate amount for what ever reworking is required - I have my suspicions, you have yours.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Still buying. Why wouldn't I? 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog