Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

FS Expo '23 product announcement seminars stream (live now)

Well, it's the same old thing.  Jorg has all the data to know exactly who and how is using his platform, but is vague, and may or may not be blowing sunshine;  and the avsim crowd which is suspicious and knows nothing factual about it.   I have no doubt the general trends are what they are, I would wonder what I would be classified as:  I am pretty high end in my simming habits, and I spend decent money on the hobby, but I'm also pretty part time.  I'll sim hard core for a few months, then attend to all my other hobbies for 6-9 months.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

Well, it's the same old thing.  Jorg has all the data to know exactly who and how is using his platform, but is vague, and may or may not be blowing sunshine;  and the avsim crowd which is suspicious and knows nothing factual about it.   I have no doubt the general trends are what they are, I would wonder what I would be classified as:  I am pretty high end in my simming habits, and I spend decent money on the hobby, but I'm also pretty part time.  I'll sim hard core for a few months, then attend to all my other hobbies for 6-9 months.

Right?!

I've been simming since the 90's (of course when I was a kid I wasn't what we call nowadays "core simmer") and I've never seen the market so full of life (sim hardware, new add-ons of all kind etc).

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

52 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

Early to bed, early to rise,
Work your *** off and advertise.

😀

3 hours ago, Drumcode said:

What I was expecting was a brand new ATC system, sigh.

We still don't have nearly all the details and they've just scratched the surface as they said. They spoke about the three main categories of focus so that's a high level view (1. missions/activities, 2. core sim & technology, 3. digital twin earth). I'm pretty sure ATC re-work is in the cards as they've stated already in the Q&As, so it'll be in the initial release of 2024 or on a subsequent free SU update I'm sure.

• Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Does multi thread support mean the end of dominance for those with the AMD x3d chips?

Eric 

Just now, B777ER said:

Does multi thread support mean the end of dominance for those with the AMD x3d chips?

XBox uses AMD cpus.

sp

3 hours ago, F737MAX said:

Looking at the Honeycomb Delta flight displays product announcement, the amount of new peripherals is a good indicator of the health of the market.
I mean, I picked-up the Fulcrum Sim yoke, the Thrustmaster Airbus pack (stick + TQ), and have been fortunate to get in on the early bird for the miniFCU, all after switching to MSFS.

Yeah this Honeycomb Delta looks really nice. And how is the miniFCU? Did you already receive it? I would be interested in future...

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

25 minutes ago, B777ER said:

No. 3D cache processors perform better on multi threaded games also. 

Improving multi thread helps all the cpus and possibly avoids bottlenecks in some scenarios. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Not the biggest part of the presentation, but very excited about the idea of better cliff representation. Maybe, finally, a decent representation of Hawaii😍

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

22 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Not the biggest part of the presentation, but very excited about the idea of better cliff representation. Maybe, finally, a decent representation of Hawaii😍

More AI / PG I think.

sp

The thing about core simmer vs gamer vs casual user that many of the elitists on these forums (not this thread, just in general) fail to recognize is that many "core simmers" start out as gamers or casual users, and they would never get hooked on the hobby if they didn't have things to do in the sim besides fly from point A to point B.

My first exposure to MSFS was FS2.0, sitting on my dad's lap while he flew around. I later "played" FS as a "gamer" between FS4-FS2000. And then I used FS2002 and 2004 to help train for my PPL. I'm not sure if I would have gotten my license or even have my interest in aviation if I wasn't exposed to MSFS as a kid. I'm no longer current, and most here would say I "play" MSFS more like a "game" these days as a means to relax, but that doesn't mean I'm not a core simmer... I'm still very interested in accurate flight dynamics, systems, weather, etc. I'm guessing that is where the other 3mil core simmers fall: folks that just want a truly realistic experience, even if they aren't flying heavies all the time.

Given the current lack of real-world pilots out there, those gamers and casual users will be boon to the aviation community, and some may go on to make a career out of it. Sounds like MS/Asobo got licensing rights for some liveries in 2024, and other carriers would be smart to follow suit. A shiny Delta or Southwest livery in the sim could get a kid interested in flying for those airlines for real. Trucking companies have been using billboards in American Truck Simulator to advertise for real-world jobs. So is ATS a sim? A game? Yes.

But back to the stream, I wasn't really surprised... it was just as I expected, and I'm just as excited as I was when I saw the Xbox announcement. It's just sad how Jorg was obviously walking on eggshells as he faintly addressed all of the "critics" that spoke out when the Xbox trailer was released. I wonder how many of those people would be word not allowed at FSExpo to his face?

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Other than the MSFS2024 presentation, this has to be the best part of Friday's product announcements...

spacer.png

I mean, Scott Gentile towing an unpowered Comanche across a grass strip to get the correct ground roll sounds is just fantastic attention to detail!

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737MAX said:

the best part of Friday's product announcements...

was Kitbash model club. no doubt about it, the FAA approved version. hands down winner of FS Expo 2023. 😀

no one has answered yet their question though: Why Kitbash Model club?

whykitbashmodelclubc6inn.jpg

ok  ... ok ... Honeycomb and Navigraph weather come in 2nd and 3rd place.

A2A had 3 years and still FSX style graphics? that Comanche looks like a direct fsx conversion. sorry, not for me, no matter how many foul spark plugs I have to replace and oil checks. never got excited about that in real flying, don't care for that in a sim either if it means sacrificing graphics quality.

A2A Comanche MSFS:

a2acomanche74dwd.jpg

A2A Comanche P3D:

a2acomanchep3dzyigy.jpg

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

9 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

We still don't have nearly all the details and they've just scratched the surface as they said. They spoke about the three main categories of focus so that's a high level view (1. missions/activities, 2. core sim & technology, 3. digital twin earth). I'm pretty sure ATC re-work is in the cards as they've stated already in the Q&As, so it'll be in the initial release of 2024 or on a subsequent free SU update I'm sure.

I don’t have high hopes as if they were to introduce new ATC they’d gloat about it as it’d really be a big deal. I realize it’s a massive undertaking, was just hoping it’d be done for the next version. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |