Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Jorg says Asobo team for MSFS grew from 100 to 175 people

I’m not the type of guy to believe in any marketing speak and never hype anything unless I get paid but the physics looked wonky in the first trailer like the way the a400m dropped down doesn’t look like the real videos of the a400, the Visionjet looks like a plastic toy compared to the flightfx one in 2020.

Also no mention of full fidelity cockpits, one of the cockpits of the helicopter shown looked really bad or proper ATC, ILS, papi lights, proper ground physics, better AI traffic, etc.

but I guess that the Job simulator gaming folks who like to grind by pressing A to drop the basket and then B to make joe the lost hiker teleport into a basket and bringing him back to base to get a score screen, will get their satisfaction.

I’m also wondering if they removed the thunderstorms from MSFS so the can add it as a new feature in 2024. I miss them they were quite nice in the early days of msfs2020

I will probably buy it regardless but I’m not getting excited until I can get my hands on it and properly try it out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FormulaJet said:

but I guess that the Job simulator gaming folks who like to grind by pressing A to drop the basket and then B to make joe the lost hiker teleport into a basket and bringing him back to base to get a score screen, will get their satisfaction.

You must have been watching a different kind of presentation.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

These employment figures being bandied around make me think my original gut feeling is correct. The 2024 version is going to be aimed at the commercial certification market which requires extreme realism and will pay high dollars for it and we, the people, will be offered a base product at a lower cost. The marketing trailer is full of references to career paths of differing types which also makes the comment above about the final sim product not just being for aircraft, sound like it has some basis to it.

• Like 1

Another interesting fact that was mentioned is that they surpassed 12 million users with msfs.

3 million 'simmers', 3 million 'gamers' and the rest 'casual players'. So the simmers are of course the minority!

I just wish so much they will focus, yes on the PAPPIs, clouds, airport vehicle traffic, simply stuff you know.... But we will see.

Big news is also that msfs 2024 will be 'multi-threaded'. Finally. That should improve performance....

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

1 hour ago, robb13 said:

These employment figures being bandied around make me think my original gut feeling is correct. The 2024 version is going to be aimed at the commercial certification market which requires extreme realism and will pay high dollars for it and we, the people, will be offered a base product at a lower cost. The marketing trailer is full of references to career paths of differing types which also makes the comment above about the final sim product not just being for aircraft, sound like it has some basis to it.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will go for the commercial market at some point, assuming the competition to it in the commercial market remains largely stagnant. Having said that, I think the competition in the commercial market, in this case, Lochkeed Martin, is supposedly making a new simulator using the Unreal 5 Engine. If that upcoming simulator by Lockheed Martin is well received by the commercial market and propagates quickly in the commercial market, then I'm not so sure that Microsoft would pursue the commercial market anymore.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

5 hours ago, Cyrex1984 said:

That was the final nail in the coffene for xp12.

Since i'm reading such comments again and again, here a few thoughts:

As a user who prefer XP, i doubt that something will really change. I am truly fascinated about how much MSFS-users have sleepness nights because of XP's existence. And wishing its dead. Again and again. A typical sign of insecurity. And some folks still don't seem to understand the main difference beetween both sims and that both of them offer something that the other doesn't. Hence the different audience. In the world of an XBox-gamer it must be truly disturbing to imagine that some people use a sim for something different than just for gaming and for getting self-confidence because he is using a game with the last generation image-technologies or/and crushing all other sims to death. And they still don't get the point that the more gamey and eye-goodie MSFS becomes, the more hardcore-pilots will switch back to XP. I have already seen that a lot in the last 2-3 years. And XP/Laminar Research who was the most popular sim before MSFS 2020, has now even a bigger dev team and could benefit from these disappointed MSFS-users who haven't been using sims before. I know, it will be painful for some to live with that reality. Perhaps doing sports to gain self-confidence instead of wishing the dead of another company?

And from what was presented yesterday, only the technical/weather part sounds for people like me really interesting. But then i want them to make the weather impacting my aircraft and not just as a visual thing (like the clouds now) and trying to satisfy again only the gamer folks. But i keep skeptical because they already promised a fantastic weather engine and flightmodel when MSFS2020 was launched and i was stupid enough to be excited as well and seriously thinking that it would be THE sim. Hence the big disappointment. A bit later, CFD was added. And now what are they announcing? "Hey guys, let's improve our flightmodel". Wuaw, great. What did you sell us then in the past 3 years? MS/Asobo are champions for advertising products. And many will get overexcited again and throw their money at the devs, as we already can see with such comments above. Nothing wrong with that. Just not for me anymore.

Nevertheless i think it is very positive that the whole flightsim-community can grow, even if i don't identify myself with most of the newbies / arcade-gamers who contributes to this growth. As someone flying in real, i don't need walking lions or elephants to train for my flights or any gamey-missions. And I have yet to see how high-resolution rocks will help imporving my flying skills. As if photogrammetry-stuff wasn't already an overkill for a flightsim (I switched it off because it doesn't add any benefit at all and looks more disturbing in the distance. But again, I can only speak for me).

Anyway, with streamed Orthos working now almost flawlessely for me and in partially better resolution in the distance than with MSFS using 400 LOD (see https://ibb.co/vk9SbKQ, https://ibb.co/F5Jpprx) I really don't see any single advantage in using MSFS anymore. But i wish them to succeeed and users to have fun, as the whole community can grow. And at the end this is a win-win for all flightsims around.

Edited by Franz007
  • Upvote 4

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

28 minutes ago, Franz007 said:

Anyway, with streamed Orthos working now almost flawlessely for me and in partially better resolution in the distance than with MSFS using 400 LOD (see https://ibb.co/vk9SbKQ, https://ibb.co/F5Jpprx) I really don't see any single advantage in using MSFS anymore. But i wish them to succeeed and users to have fun, as the whole community can grow. And at the end this is a win-win for all flightsims around.

I don't want to be the naysayer, but look at the bottom left of the photo you posted.  The quality of the textures for the mountain on the bottom left hand side is terrible.

Mind you, the textures from far away have always looked pretty good.  Whether XP, P3D, or even FSX, textures from far away for mountains have looked good. It's when it's close up, that's where the issue is. And you can see on the bottom left of our photo, that's a close up texture than the texture of the mountains from far away in the setting.

MSFS 2020 has way better textures than the mountain on the bottom left of your photo. But what was interesting from Jorg's presentation is that MSFS 2024 may have even better textures than MSFS 2020, including close up textures, because Microsoft is using machine learning to improve the textures. This is what is exciting about MSFS 2024.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flightsky said:

I don't want to be the naysayer, but look at the bottom left of the photo you posted.  The quality of the textures for the mountain on the bottom left hand side is terrible.

I was expecting such a reaction tbh. And I didn‘t even notice that when flying but you are right. And seriously, this is the same as some blurry streets, parkings or low Bing-maps-quality places using MSFS, although close to the ground MSFS is still a bit better in general. But the whole view is more realistic for me because in real you see the mountains far away very good by such a weather. And we are looking most of the time far away when flying. So, compared to my real flights this solution gives me a better overall impression of the landscape. And tbh this is quite nitpicking and has no impact at all. The benefit of the sharp textures far away are far more important. But at least I was wrong and thought the first comment would be a forced „this looks word not allowed“ 😆

• Upvote 1

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

I think we can just summarize the current state of MSFS 2020, Microsoft and Asobo as follows:

1. "Against all odds" MSFS 2020 turned out to be a highly successful return to flight simulation for Microsoft

2. This, in no small part, because it was designed for consoles "from the ground up", which brought in many more "casual gamers", thus ensuring a steady flow of $$.

3. However, by bringing in "talented outsiders" like WT, Microsoft also managed to cater to the "hardcore crowd".

4. As a result of this, MSFS 2020 was probably the most successful flight simulator ever released, and Microsoft "greenlighted a sequel".

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I think we can just summarize the current state of MSFS 2020, Microsoft and Asobo as follows:

1. "Against all odds" MSFS 2020 turned out to be a highly successful return to flight simulation for Microsoft

2. This, in no small part, because it was designed for consoles "from the ground up", which brought in many more "casual gamers", thus ensuring a steady flow of $$.

3. However, by bringing in "talented outsiders" like WT, Microsoft also managed to cater to the "hardcore crowd".

4. As a result of this, MSFS 2020 was probably the most successful flight simulator ever released, and Microsoft "greenlighted a sequel".

Whatever works and delivers the end result.   Some console gamers eventually turn out to be hardcore simmers too and soon ditch xbox for better gear

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Silicus said:

Another interesting fact that was mentioned is that they surpassed 12 million users with msfs.

3 million 'simmers', 3 million 'gamers' and the rest 'casual players'. So the simmers are of course the minority!

I just wish so much they will focus, yes on the PAPPIs, clouds, airport vehicle traffic, simply stuff you know.... But we will see.

Big news is also that msfs 2024 will be 'multi-threaded'. Finally. That should improve performance....

and of the 12 million users how many of them know what a pappi is and how it works ?

point im making is gamers dont and serious simmers do.  

14ppkc-6.png

8 hours ago, sgreen91 said:

My god avsim is becoming the reddit of flightsim.

You really think this place can improve that much? That would be nice.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I really hope at least one of those 500 is working on VR...

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

12 hours ago, btacon said:

think MSFS is going to be much more than a Flight Simulator. It can be a watercraft simulator, a car simulator, a city simulator, an underwater simulator, a World simulator. Even an Other World simulator (Dune Mod).

Hope so! A real digital twin with all the toys to move around in it would be magic.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.