Sign in to follow this  
Los

Only Me or Liveries Don’t Matter

So, as MSFS didn’t come with a replay mode put of the box I got to used to this fact and carried on.

I was flying mostly GA at first so liveries were not an issue.

Since, FBW and the PMDG releases I have been flying more and more airliners.

But, I have yet to download a livery.

Without a replay mode, it doesn’t matter to me.

I simply use the default liveries and update the airline name and flight number under Customization for each flight so that ATC calls me what I am pretending to be…

Which brings me to another point, aware you can’t put the genie back into the bottle, but what if aircraft in a sim were only concerned with a virtual cockpit (and maybe a wing view as required) and less with a 3D model of the aircraft - and all resources, both during in development and later use, were devoted to the flight model and/or systems?

Would we have better representations of the real thing without the eye candy?

Would it be something closer to real Level-D simulators - where only the cockpit and systems matter?

Just a thought, what do you all think?

1 minute ago, Los said:

So, as MSFS didn’t come with a replay mode put of the box I got to used to this fact and carried on.

I was flying mostly GA at first so liveries were not an issue.

Since, FBW and the PMDG releases I have been flying more and more airliners.

But, I have yet to download a livery.

Without a replay mode, it doesn’t matter to me.

I simply use the default liveries and update the airline name and flight number under Customization for each flight so that ATC calls me what I am pretending to be…

Which brings me to another point, aware you can’t put the genie back into the bottle, but what if aircraft in a sim were only concerned with a virtual cockpit (and maybe a wing view as required) and less with a 3D model of the aircraft - and all resources, both during in development and later use, were devoted to the flight model and/or systems?

Would it be something closer to real Level-D simulators - where only the cockpit and systems matter?

I don’t think most simmers would want/need what you describe. The hardware to have a level-d simulator at home would be prohibitive. 

The current approach MS/Asobo have is the best in my opinion. They are trying cope with new technology as much as possible, for both eye candy and simulation features.

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

To me, flight preparation and ground services are inherent parts of the whole simulation, so, no, just a 3D cockpit and instruments are not enough. Liveries do matter to me.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I mean real pilots do literally walk around the "external model" of the aircraft, so much for cockpit-only...

• Like 3

Liveries are important to me. More so because I'm also a repainter. But their real value is personalization for me. Unique ATC ID and unique livery. Mostly I fly GA and MIL.

• Like 1

Mmmmmh. MSFS has a replay mode that functions actually ok. The UI is the worst in history, but that's another story.... I actually use it quite a bit and a quality livery increases the immersion. But everyone's simming is different...

• Like 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Being able to flip to outside view and think 'Wow, I am actually flying that thing' is very important to me.

• Like 10

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

You have an interesting proposition there.

For me, the livery is important for reasons. I like looking at the aircraft before getting started with the flight. The appropriate livery at some far-flung (for me) airport really gets me in the mood for aviating. Nostalgia is another big factor. I really enjoy flying vintage aircraft with accurate liveries. I like aircraft also, too.

• Like 2

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I have never been concerned with what is outside the cockpit, ever. So yes Liveries mean nothing to me. I use default livery all the time. 

• Like 2

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I'm kinda' fond of liveries. 😉

Especially when you can get shots like this in the sim....

v4lh57.png

XNPxeP.png

udFgVc.png

YhVhua.png

XEVr4a.png

Once you're up at flight levels and on the AP for the cruise, it gets kinda' boring just sitting in the cockpit, esp when you have a virtual photography aircraft at your fingertips to gaze at the beauty of your aircraft interacting with the environment.

(as a livery painter I may be a little biased though, LoL)

• Like 13

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

7 hours ago, Los said:

Great idea.

....if you want to hasten a swiff death of flght simming. 

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Los said:

You remind me of those who, years ago, swore by 2D cockpit only, discarding virtual cockpit as an useless novelty.  I see that you accept the idea of a 3D cockpit though, in your barebone vision. Beware its a slippery slope 😉

Flight simming has acquired several dimensions over the years. The core is about driving a heavier-than-air  but painting liveries, airport modeling, taking screenshots or videos…  and shooting the breeze at Avsim became part of it. Its about having fun pretending to fly, not to train. Restricting it to the core would kill the fun for me.

Liveries now. I am not a compulsive collector, far from it. A couple suffices to my happiness.But I must admit that I love flying the Porter in Suzy Air livery or the DC 6 in her old Pan Am dress for instance.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

For me, the livery is of huge importance as I like to see the outside of the aircraft while on the ground and in flight. What I really can't give two *#2ts about is modeling of the actual cabin past the flightdeck door. 

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Airliners: Not interested or a follower of special aviation companies - so I allways use default liveries - they also seem to me more CTD restistant than custom made liveries.

General aviation: I prefer some colours and want my plane look beautiful, so I sometimes download a nice livery if the defaults are not lovely enough in my eyes.

Importance of exterior: I grew up with "2D-Panels" in flight simulation and am very happy that I can also enjoy the exterior model now. So yes, it is important that I have the immersion to fly a real plane, but most of the time I stay inside my cockpit and do not care much about the design fo the exterior skin. 

• Like 2