Sign in to follow this  
FlierHawk

FSR 3 Coming - Frame Generation for RTX 20,30,40 Series

Surprised nobody has mentioned this already.  Looks like AMD is going to have their answer for DLSS FG coming out soon and it's cross compatible with Nvidia RTX cards.  

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/08/amds-fps-doubling-fsr-3-is-coming-soon-and-not-just-to-radeon-graphics-cards/

What are the odds that we will see support for this in MSFS? These days I'm running all ultra with mostly stable 30fps.  If i could have similar stability at 60 I'd probably take it. 

Thoughts?

• Like 4

I could be wrong but I don’t believe FG is coming to 20 and 30 Series NV cards in DLSS 3.5.  Only Ray Tracing for all FG 40 series only. 

That’s my take at least.

EDIT:  Whoops, I saw this as anther DLSS 3.5 thread but I was wrong  FSR is about AMD Cards, not Nvidia  apologies to the OP for my error.

-B

Edited by btacon

1 hour ago, FlierHawk said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned this already.  Looks like AMD is going to have their answer for DLSS FG coming out soon and it's cross compatible with Nvidia RTX cards.  

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/08/amds-fps-doubling-fsr-3-is-coming-soon-and-not-just-to-radeon-graphics-cards/

What are the odds that we will see support for this in MSFS? These days I'm running all ultra with mostly stable 30fps.  If i could have similar stability at 60 I'd probably take it. 

Thoughts?

Unless we hear something official from MS/Asobo regarding support for AMD's frame generation i think for the purposes of MSFS2020 AMD has simply missed the boat. I'm personally not happy about it but if you noticed that Asobo is missing from the list of initial developers in the FSR 3 presentation. 

I think the only residual hope that FSR 3 with frame gen gets Microsoft's attention for MSFS 2020 is the fact that the Xbox is using all AMD hardware and within the series X the hardware should be strong enough to run the frame gen aspect of it.

Yes i am also aware that there will be a promised driver level implementation but it probably wont be as good as the in game implementation and AMD is going to take their sweet time again.

I'm going to sit tight for another three months and if nothing of useful substance emerges from Asobo or AMD re FSR 3 with frame gen for MSFS2020 ill switch to an RTX4080 since that would be all i need for my resolution.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

FSR3 has got nothing to do with DLSS. 

FSR is the COMPETITOR to DLSS.

In the case of FSR3: All DX11 and DX12 capable Geforce and Radeon graphics cards will be able to use it.

In the case of DLSS3.5: Only Geforce RTX 2000, 3000 and 4000 series cards will be able to use it.

Both FSR3 and DLSS3.5 are Frame Generators.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I suppose both DLSS 3.5 and FSR3 still won't work for VR?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I suppose both DLSS 3.5 and FSR3 still won't work for VR?

Isn't stuff like Asynchronous Reprojection already used? That is essentially VR's frame generation. Can't add more frame generation on top of that.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Both Nvidia and AMD recommend that you should have at least 60fps native for FG to work properly, so I don't see much benefit with it in a simulator, I didn't notice any improvement between 60 and 120fps when I tested it.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

50 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Both Nvidia and AMD recommend that you should have at least 60fps native for FG to work properly, so I don't see much benefit with it in a simulator, I didn't notice any improvement between 60 and 120fps when I tested it.

I’ve used it in situations I would otherwise run the sim at 40-50 FPS (like KLAX + FSLTL + complex airliner etc) and it runs really great with FG at 70-80 stable fps. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

hope AMD make it work  ! we need competition 

just for FYI i haven't had a AMD GPU since the early 2000's lol , really not a Nvidia word not allowed word not allowed word not allowed so come on AMD 😉

Edited by sonny147
added

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

3 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

A lot is misunderstood about FSR3.  Think THOUSANDS of existing DX11 and DX12 games.

As far I understood from that presentation:

- FSR3 will require support for it in the game, just like you see FSR 1.0 or 2.0 now, will work with lots of AMD or nVidia cards, and will be available this Fall, in selected games that will have to be updated to support it.

- Generic frame generation, will appear Q1 2024, will work with any game, and will be part of the HYPR-RX Adrenalin software, so it seems this will be restricted to AMD cards, because it's done in their drivers.

That, at least what I assumed, considering all the info being released so far about HYPR-RX was always shown in a screenshot showing the AMD Adrenalin interface so, unless it might be eventually possible to install it separately from the video drivers, it seems to be exclusive to AMD, so it's not exactly like FSR, which is in fact more like an SDK for any graphic card.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sethos said:

Isn't stuff like Asynchronous Reprojection already used? That is essentially VR's frame generation. Can't add more frame generation on top of that.

I think so. I never achieved a frame rate in VR that would allow motion reprojection without artifacts though, so I was hoping DLSS or FSR would help with that at some point being "native" to the GPU.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

From what I read, there is Developer work to do to integrate it. However, if FSR 2 has already been implemented then going to FSR 3 isn't a big jump. So as MSFS already supports FSR 2, maybe they can upgrade to 3 quickly.

Secondly, if FSR 3 is out in a few months, what I Predict is that NVIDIA will wait until then and immediately (or just before) announce DLSS 4 which will then support older cards.  These are the games folks!

Does this mean NV 30xx cards will get frame generation with DLSS 3.5? All I want is FG support for my 3090. That would be awesome!

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

20 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Does this mean NV 30xx cards will get frame generation with DLSS 3.5? All I want is FG support for my 3090. That would be awesome!

No it won't. Possibly with DLSS 4 it will support 30 series FG.

Edited by Greazer