Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Potential improvements for sky colors

5 minutes ago, boez said:

@Biology Thanks for your detailed reply. Unfortunately to me the overall tone of the sim is less realistic as everything now has a pink (or maybe sepia) tone. I wonder if you could take a look at my post on the official forum...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-sky-colors-etc-give-here-comparision-shots/614588/65

Eww that's horrible 😐

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 hour ago, Biology said:

Sorry for the late response, but indeed I'm pretty happy with the changes.

Without seeing the new coefficients it's hard to comment but it appears that they chose something in between the old default values and what ARPC outputs for the ozone absorption coefficients. If I had to guess why, I'd say it's likely because the sunsets / sunrises look too green when using the ARPC coefficients as is without the required changes to the multiple scattering, so they likely had to make a compromise between the accuracy of the coefficients and the greenness of the sunsets / sunrises.

Another unexpected but welcome change is the day sky colors. While ozone absorption coefficients affect day sky colors, the effect is minimal, so it seems like they also changed the rayleigh scattering coefficients based on ARPC and not just the ozone absorption coefficients, making the day sky colors have a deeper blue hue with less green, a change that I really appreciate.

I would have been even happier if they tried to tweak the multiple scattering so that they could use the ozone absorption coefficients from ARPC as is, but they never said they would do that so I'm not disappointed as I had no expectations in that regard to begin with.

@Biology They are asking for your input in the official beta forum: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-sky-colors-etc-give-here-comparision-shots/614588/61

Would you be able to respond there? Your input is probably the most important, since you are the one that got the ball rolling for the MSFS team to make these changes. Thanks.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

52 minutes ago, boez said:

@Biology Thanks for your detailed reply. Unfortunately to me the overall tone of the sim is less realistic as everything now has a pink (or maybe sepia) tone. I wonder if you could take a look at my post on the official forum...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-sky-colors-etc-give-here-comparision-shots/614588/65

I agree. They shouldn't have changed the daytime color. I noticed the pink tone too. Hope they can make it better before releasing SU14.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

I agree. They shouldn't have changed the daytime color. I noticed the pink tone too. Hope they can make it better before releasing SU14.

And I disagree, I’m glad they changed the daytime color. Looks much better.

• Like 3

Eric 

17 minutes ago, B777ER said:

And I disagree, I’m glad they changed the daytime color. Looks much better.

Ok, we can't all have the same opinion.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

Respectfully disagree. I prefer the current daytime color. I hope they don't change this.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

I find the new daytime colour much better. I have just removed Reshade and its filters because the green tint is gone in SU14.  can't say I have noticed a pink tone to anything, but we are only in the first couple of days with SU14.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, boez said:

I would say SU14 beta shots look more realistic. You can notice a slightly reddish hue in msfs2024 trailer aswell. To me this looks better than what we had where everything had this greenish tinge to it. The ambient lighting from the sun is supposed to be a bit on the reddish side. The change looks drastic now because the SIM's color tone was heavily green shifted since the launch.

Edited by Baber20

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

When taking about subtle daytime color differences, wouldn't differences in how the user's monitor is setup color-wise be a significant factor? So what looks pinkish to one may not look pinkish to another.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ark said:

When taking about subtle daytime color differences, wouldn't differences in how the user's monitor is setup color-wise be a significant factor? So what looks pinkish to one may not look pinkish to another.

Al

Probably. And some are using HDR monitors and Tv's too, so I'm sure we are not all seeing the same thing. The pink tone is very clear to me on the screenshots boez posted in the official forum, as he said even the top of the aircraft wings is pink. It looks like a pink livery instead of a white one. I see the same here.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-sky-colors-etc-give-here-comparision-shots/614588/65?

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

4 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

If you take a look at this comparison, you will see that SU14 beta colors look closer to what we will get in MSFS2024.

You don't know what we will get in 2024, that was just an early alpha preview.

What's your comment on the pink plane?

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

56 minutes ago, ark said:

Al

Absolutely!  I use this calibrator to make sure my monitor is calibrated correctly.  If this is not done, nobody will know if they are seeing colours correctly.

Over on the official forums, somebody made this remark - ' I changed monitors and it completely changed how the sim looked' - that is why the monitor must be calibrated to a known standard!

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

12 minutes ago, Alvega said:

You don't know what we will get in 2024, that was just an early alpha preview.

What's your comment on the pink plane?

No way do I see any pink planes!  What I do see is all the overly green tint gone!

• Like 1