Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Thinking of upgrading to Vista? Read this...

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Ok, I'm with ya'll on the whole piracy/protection debate... it's getting out of hand with all the DRM crap that is getting put into hardware and software that basically cripples our systems that we buy and keeps us from doing reasonable things with our media that be purchase.But guys, I think you're misreading the EULA. It only says that you can only transfer the license one time. That means that you buy it and install on your new system... Then 2 years down the line you do some upgrades that involves a motherboard change (it's ONLY MB changes that effect this), ok, there's your 2nd system.If you're reinstalling on the same system with the same hardware, it won't care, just like XP doesn't care now. It's only if the system config radically changes from install to install does it care.But I agree... 2 is still a bit limiting.--2002cbr600f4i

I am also. Although it's a little slower in Vista it still performs quite well.DougDell XPS Gen3 (3.6GHz/540FSB) | 2GB DDR SDRAM | 74GB SATA, 10k RPM (C: ) | 120GB SATA (D: ) | 512MB ATI Radeon X1900XTX (Catalyst 6.8) | Audigy 2 ZS Sound | MS Force Feedback 2 | WindowsXP Pro (SP2) | DirectX 9.0c

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Guest emkramer

Well, if you read it on the internet, then it MUST be true.

Guest B1900 Mech

Hopefully this will be an increasing trend,and cause micro$oft to rethink their insane policys. The people will only put up with so much:-) Type this into Google, Massachusetts revises IT policy to exclude Office XML format

Complete BS. :-fume If this is true, then I'll be moving to another OS and dealing with the issues (e.g., Linux). No way is MS going to get my money for something I can't transfer to new machines as I upgrade them. My XP has gone through a few new upgrades. It's mine, I paid for it.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

>Complete BS. :-fume >>If this is true, then I'll be moving to another OS and dealing>with the issues (e.g., Linux). No way is MS going to get my>money for something I can't transfer to new machines as I>upgrade them. My XP has gone through a few new upgrades. >It's mine, I paid for it. I couldn't agree more with this. I have done a number of upgrade's and tinkering with my other older system since I have had XP. I have 2 home computers myself. And I was planning on a major upgrade when Vista came out. I am getting a little worried now on the upgrading part if after I am done spending the cash on os's I could have really built one #### of a system if I could have directed that money on hardware.

Guest capncrazy68

Same here. I've rebuilt my machine 3 times in the last year and half, which includes the MB change twice. I also have 3 computers in the home, and feel it's already outragously priced to have to purchase 3 licenses. I can live with that. But to pay for software in which it limits my installations to 2 on one machine. I will not spend my money unless I am guaranteed to be able to use it for the entire time I "Own" it. As I am expecting like many others, to upgrade my system again and again as new technology comes available. And if we, the home users, are not the target for this unacceptable limitation, then MS needs to come up with a better way.I just refuse to purchase without a guarantee.

If you look at this:INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the

Doesn't make any sense. You do realise that the 'software terrorists' had a cracked FS-X without any activation problems before we can even buy it in the shops.Companies that use illegal software are stupid. Its only a matter of time before they get an audit after which they can pay through the nose for al those licenses. Audits are much more effective then anti piracy measures.In the IT branch where I work there is little intrest in Vista. The focus is on Citrix, centralised management of all desktops and making applications available via internet & small handhelds. A desktop OS packed with activation and antipiracy 'features' isn't realy in our intrest.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest Surge

> My XP has gone through a few new upgrades. > It's mine, I paid for it.Uh ... maybe you don't read these new EULAs.You are purchasing a license to USE the software but you never OWN it.Sort of like hiring a car - it still belongs to a company and is never owned by you.MS are not the only ones - Adobe are in the act too.It's a money making racket for sure - XP will be the last OS I buy from MS.Linux does the job beautifully except for games and once XP is too old to run newer games (when everything goes DX10) I'll just retire from gaming.

Guest hasemike

If i can never own software, then having a pirated copy also does not matter as the end result is the same : not owning anything. ;)I do not understand the policies of MS with Vista and FSX, the users that pay get all the hassle with activation and calling microsoft if, god forbid, they want to install it on their newest motherboard.As it stands now the pirated copies of FSX are more user friendly than the payed for ones. The same will be true of Vista, why pay and be ordered around by software you do not own when you can choose to have an much nicer user experience without paying ?The way to sell software is to offer extra perks to those who buy and setting a price point that people are willing to pay. 400$ for vista, no more like 120!Thanks whoever for usenet ! ;)

No misread on my part. I agree with everything you've said. But, in the four years I've been running WinXP I've gone through seven changes that MS considers a transfer to a new system. So, where does that leave me with Vista? Having to buy 4 copies is the way I see it....Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

You may want to look at the MS source directly if there is doubt as to the correctness of the report: http://download.microsoft.com/documents/us...1a72651b7a3.pdf See Page 6 Item 15.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Stop complaining about Microsoft making money and join them. This is what separates the haves from the have nots. I loaded up on Microsoft stock long ago, now I support them what ever they do and share the wealth. When gasoline went to $1.50 a gallon, I bought stock in Exxon and the energy mutual funds. When gas hit $3.00, those stocks tripled.Don't be a victim of a company's success, join them, and share the wealth.

Paul Gugliotta

Guest Charlie

Guys, this long chain of responses (ignoring the last one) from THINKING people, fired up and ready to do battle just makes my day. We need to put a stop to this