Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Starfield badly optimised.

Yeah. It sure seems to be badly optimized. Out in open areas, I got stuttering with a 4090. Bonkers.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

7 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

I got stuttering with a 4090. Bonkers.

😵

Hmmmmmmm......?

Lowest I've seen on ultimate settings is about 80fps, usually at above 100.

And I only have a measly 4070!

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yeah. For me it runs great with occasional stutters.

Certainly good enough. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I'm wondering if it's an AMD/Intel issue. With it running better on certain hardware.

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

I'm wondering if it's an AMD/Intel issue. With it running better on certain hardware.

As I said on another forum, I'm not quite sure what's going on out there, and why so many reports of bad FPS

Ultra Preset: 2k

lSSaZW.jpg

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Running a mix of recommend to ultra settings and it cruises.

As an aside, how amazing is this game!? It's reawakened my enjoyment of RPG's.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

On 9/12/2023 at 1:09 AM, ZLA Steve said:

As an aside, how amazing is this game!? It's reawakened my enjoyment of RPG's.

Only played for maybe a couple of hours yet, but I have to say I am slightly underwhelmed. For some reason the world doesn't feel that big. I keep getting the feeling of jumping from fishbowl to fishbowl. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I noticed that it should be installed on an SSD drive, not an HD. I moved it to an SSD, and all my stutters went away. The installation directions don't mention that.

• Like 1

Luckily it's a painfully mediocre game, so not missing out on much.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

3 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

I noticed that it should be installed on an SSD drive, not an HD. I moved it to an SSD, and all my stutters went away. The installation directions don't mention that.

Oh, I never would have even dreamed of putting this on a mechanical HDD nowadays. (Its now the era of directstorage!)

Out of the 7 drives on my computer at this point, 4 are NVME's, and three are SSD's, with one big old mechanical HD for miscellaneous storage.

(And that mechanical drives days are probably numbered)

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Devons rig

Ok, HiFlyer, but if you have several 3 or 4 tb mech drives that are not too old, replacement on a fixed income is not happening...

I mean, I'd love to have all SSD, but...

Edited by Penzoil3

5 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

Ok, HiFlyer, but if you have several 3 or 4 tb mech drives that are not too old, replacement on a fixed income is not happening...

I mean, I'd love to have all SSD, but...

Understood.

I'm just wondering now how many reports out there of bad optimization of the program are at least partially the result of it being Installed on mechanical drives...

A look at the recommended system specs on Steam shows an SSD as a requirement. Whether the reason for that is technical necessity or bad optimization is an open question.

Devons rig