Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

CTD's all the time now!

@sniper31,

Hi Landon,

A mutual friend (who doesn't want to be visible on avsim) asked me to pass on some info that he thought you might be able to use. He occasionally reads stuff here on avsim but he doesn't want to actually participate or post here. He (and I) have both had the CTDs since SU13, so we have been following this thread. I think we are both quite satisfied that it is essentially an Asobo / MS server issue related to zooming in some way or another, and for myself, I'm happy to just wait and see if/how Asobo responds, maybe with SU14.

But I know you're keen to try and nail it down further, so here's what XXX emailed me - (I tried to send this via PM but you don't seem to accept messages?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is interesting is that in win11, I get a much more detailed  output rather than the generic " ... 005"code.  This code is essentially saying that memory could not be read, which is another way of saying that something else is writing to that register.

However as you can see by the snippet below .. It is pretty clear in my case that the route cause of the failure was the 

Faulting module name: MSVCP140.dll, version: 14.29.30133.0, time stamp: 0x60ff28cc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000012fc8
Faulting process id: 0x0x3620

The MSVCP140.dll is part of the win11 OS, but is  also called from the  Microsoft® C Runtime Library, which belongs to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio® 2015. Therefore, although MSVCP140.dll is not an essential system file of the Windows operating system, it is required for running programs developed with Visual C++.

Since MS2020 heavily depends on Visual C++ ,  this seems to indicate that this .dll has a potential issue. For me , especially the comments about it are triggered by such things as fiddling with the map etc, all of which will require calls to Visual C++ , suggesting that it would be a good place to look.

The easiest thing to do is to go to  Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center and delete the existing installation from your OS and then reinstall this new update.

The question is why did it start with Sim update 13.?  Well one logical explanation is that Asobo changed/updated some of their graphical code from SU12, and these changes are now triggering this error.  So it could be a) the folks who are experiencing these issues are on win10 which may not have the latest MSVCP140.dll file,  or it may be corrupted, or their C++ library is out of date from the Update3 file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cheers,
Andy

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

3 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

But I know you're keen to try and nail it down further, so here's what XXX emailed me - (I tried to send this via PM but you don't seem to accept messages?)

Thanks for the post Andy. And thanks to our friend that passed it on. However, a couple things regarding my CTD. First off, mine is not of the zoom in/zoom out variety. I can spend hours on the MSFS flight planning map and zoom in/out to my heart's content without any problems whatsoever. My CTD happens either A) when I hit the FlyNow button or B) when I am in mid-flight.

Secondly, I am not in Windows 10. I have been running Windows 11 for about 8 months now. So, the error code that I am getting is the error code that I am getting. I don't think my CTD error is related to the MSVCP140.dll as I don't get that faulting module listed in my Event Viewer. 

Lastly, somebody several pages ago suggested that I reintstall/upgrade my Microsoft Visual C++ and I already looked into that. 

Again, appreciate the help, but I really don't think my CTD is the same as what you are experiencing. They could both be products of SU13, that would not surprise me. But I believe the zooming CTD and the in flight CTD are not the same. Just my opinion based on all my troubleshooting and research. 

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

@sniper31

more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a further bit of info for Landon

This may not solve the issue though ...  If it doesn't then the info in the maintenance log would be useful for MS/Asobo as it does indicate where the issue lies.  If these .dlls etc are all there and not corrupted, then there is a bug in the code as Landon is surmising, but at least for Asobo it is helpful as it tells one, where the issue is.

He will have to check on his own system. It has been such a while since I was on Win10 that I have no idea how to check the event viewer for this.  

In Win11 it is extremely easy as one just types security and maintenance in the search bar window  and you click on maintenance and you have a complete visual daily log of what is happening on your machine.  If you see anything, you click on the item , failures are in red and you immediately get a very detailed output as I did .

In fact this is the full one from mine ...

Description
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.34.16.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: MSVCP140.dll, version: 14.29.30133.0, time stamp: 0x60ff28cc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000012fc8
Faulting process id: 0x0x3620
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA1B0AF79FCFAC
Faulting application path: F:\MS2020_Install\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP140.dll
Report Id: 5e8bba11-4bfc-4f5f-ab02-5591221069b4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have a suspicion though, that this is a bug in MS2020, rather than a corrupt file, although it also wouldn't hurt to run system file checker,  But he knows a lot about such things and I am sure has already done this.

But for all its worth, the CTD that people are getting , if it is related to the MSVCP140.dll  is a C++ graphics error  and Asobo should be able to work out from there where the issue is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Our posts crossed, sorry 'bout that.

Just to add, my CTDs also occasionally occur mid flight, but pretty much always when I'm zooming (which I do a lot as I tend to fly very low and slow, hit pause when I spot something interesting, and then zoom in and out to go exploring).

3 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Our posts crossed, sorry 'bout that.

No worries 🙂 

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

2 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

No worries 🙂 And yeah, I don't have any problems zooming during flight or otherwise. When I get a CTD in flight, I could be at altitude on AP just cruising and not touching the controls, or sitting on the tarmac going through pre-flight, or preparing to land. Or, sometimes, like I said above, when I hit the FlyNow button.

Don't know what I quoted my own post. 

Edited by sniper31

17 hours ago, andy1252 said:

@sniper31,

The MSVCP140.dll is part of the win11 OS, but is  also called from the  Microsoft® C Runtime Library, which belongs to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio® 2015. Therefore, although MSVCP140.dll is not an essential system file of the Windows operating system, it is required for running programs developed with Visual C++.

Since MS2020 heavily depends on Visual C++ ,  this seems to indicate that this .dll has a potential issue. For me , especially the comments about it are triggered by such things as fiddling with the map etc, all of which will require calls to Visual C++ , suggesting that it would be a good place to look.

The easiest thing to do is to go to  Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center and delete the existing installation from your OS and then reinstall this new update.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cheers,
Andy

After about 10 CTD:s I found today   this advice and it's works. Before that I tryed every tricks I know but without succecess. Problems seem to be those Redistributable files. Thank You very much.

Rolf Niemi

3 hours ago, romoni said:

After about 10 CTD:s I found today   this advice and it's works. Before that I tryed every tricks I know but without succecess. Problems seem to be those Redistributable files. Thank You very much.

There is something to this solution. After being perennially plagued with CTDs unless I implemented my 100 Mbps half duplex solution, I have now been able to get a few flights to load without changing the NIC speed. It is not consistent, and seems to work more when first loading the sim, but it's a possible sign that there is definitely something wrong in the handling of graphics calls and/or graphics data from the remote servers.

I installed the latest redistributable found from here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170#visual-studio-2015-2017-2019-and-2022 and rebooted my computer.

Almost every load of a flight after starting MSFS could load successfully even with Auto negotiation for a NIC speed. However, as I was simply testing quickly, I would load in, and go back to the menu right away to try to load another flight. Every time, that second load resulted in a CTD. So, either I wasn't giving the sim enough time to get everything settled down, or this solution lessened a problem, but didn't address it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mmcmah said:

There is something to this solution. After being perennially plagued with CTDs unless I implemented my 100 Mbps half duplex solution, I have now been able to get a few flights to load without changing the NIC speed. It is not consistent, and seems to work more when first loading the sim, but it's a possible sign that there is definitely something wrong in the handling of graphics calls and/or graphics data from the remote servers.

I installed the latest redistributable found from here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170#visual-studio-2015-2017-2019-and-2022 and rebooted my computer.

Almost every load of a flight after starting MSFS could load successfully even with Auto negotiation for a NIC speed. However, as I was simply testing quickly, I would load in, and go back to the menu right away to try to load another flight. Every time, that second load resulted in a CTD. So, either I wasn't giving the sim enough time to get everything settled down, or this solution lessened a problem, but didn't address it.

Well, just for gits and shiggles, I gave this potential solution a shot. Well, NoGo, it did not work for my SU13 CTD issue. On my very first flight, about 2 hours in, MSFS CTD with the same error code I have always gotten since SU13 was released listed in my Event Viewer. 

So, yet again, another arrow pointing to a SU13 coding problem. So far, the only successful work around that has worked for me is cutting my NIC's data speed way down, to 100Mbps Half Duplex. <sigh>

7 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

Well, just for gits and shiggles, I gave this potential solution a shot. Well, NoGo, it did not work for my SU13 CTD issue. On my very first flight, about 2 hours in, MSFS CTD with the same error code I have always gotten since SU13 was released listed in my Event Viewer. 

So, yet again, another arrow pointing to a SU13 coding problem. So far, the only successful work around that has worked for me is cutting my NIC's data speed way down, to 100Mbps Half Duplex. <sigh>

That's a bummer - sorry for you and for me, as I certainly felt it was a step in the right direction, but not a solution. Back to hamstringing the NIC speed!

• Like 1

From what I’ve read here and other sites, it seems there’s no magic bullet currently apart from turning off default map data. For many of us it’s something SU13 first introduced and seems almost certainly to be influenced by how the sim interacts with the default map data server.

Shame, but it has been logged as a bug and it looks like the fix is going to have to come from the devs.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

14 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

Hopefully, Asobo/Microsoft is aware of this.

1 minute ago, rjquick said:

Hopefully, Asobo/Microsoft is aware of this.

There is a lengthy thread over on the MSFS official forum, with a vote button. 

• Like 1