Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

CTD's all the time now!

On 11/20/2023 at 2:57 PM, sniper31 said:

Finally had a chance to do this.

Got it set to 100Mbit Half Duplex.  Rebooted.

Ran the sim with JF Traffic deactivated.

Spawned the PMDG 737 at PANC which always gave me a CTD exactly as Landon described.  This time it spawned and no CTD.

As I type this I activated JF Traffic and am trying to spawn the same plane again at PANC.

It worked!  And now I’m waiting so see if traffic spawns but this is a huge victory.  

Two, count ‘em, two spawns at PANC without a CTD!

Haven’t made a flighty yet but a least I made it this far.

Very pleased so far.

To all my fellow Americans I want to wish ya’ll a Happy Thanksgiving.

Jack

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

52 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

It remains a real mystery why this SU13 constant CTD problem only affects a relatively few number of simmers…

You bring up a good point Craig.  First, whoever discovered this 100 Mbit/half duplex fix is brilliant.  I run the fastest AT&T fiber right up to the PC and use an Ethernet cable. As I was going through the settings to change this it occurred to me to wonder how many people use WiFi for downloading MS’s graphics files versus Ethernet. 

Jack Sawyer

8 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

First, whoever discovered this 100 Mbit/half duplex

You can find that out both in this thread and the one on the official forum 😉

p.s. the 100mbps ‘half’ duplex suggestion was made over a month after my original workaround was first posted and I still feel the original 100mbps ‘full’ duplex is sufficient for most folk. Of course it is system dependent and the poster who moved to half duplex found it better for him but that setting now seems to have ‘stuck’ unnecessarily as a recommendation. It does no harm of course. 

9 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

mains a real mystery why this SU13 constant CTD problem only affects a relatively few number of simmers…

I narrowed the CTD down to those who were on high speed fibre connections (and using a LAN cable connection) quite early on after the issue arose by asking folk seeing the issue on the official forum to share their hardware specs. It was just a hunch that the high speed was causing the issue but that looks to be true. I guess a relatively few simmers are in this category of having a high speed connection…

p.s. I was on SU13 beta for 2 months with no CTDs at world map. No update was made to the sim for beta testers on release but a couple of days later the issue started (including for me of course). For this reason I don’t think it’s SU13 itself that is the cause. Again that’s just my hunch. 

Edited by boez
  • Like 1

I am on a high speed fibre LAN connection. The duplex 'fix' does not work for me and for many others. Even for those for whom this has helped, it hasn't guaranteed 100% no CTD's. This is definitely a SU13 related issue. If it is not resolved with SU14 I will stop using MSFS altogether. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

44 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

hasn't guaranteed 100%

I never claimed it would - I’ve always been very careful to warn that my workaround is only for a specific cause of CTDs. Frustratingly this warning often goes unheeded. But of the many posters who contributed to the thread on the official forum it made the sim playable. I personally have not had a CTD since I formulated the workaround.

In summary if someone has a generally CTD prone system as well as this (unproven) network speed CTD then applying the workaround won’t remove all CTDs. It can’t. But that doesn’t mean it hasn’t worked. 

Edited by boez
Clarity

Maybe if you are prone to network issues anyway, the workaround helps. I'm sure those who now have fewer CTD's as a result are grateful. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

50 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

for many others

This is a genuine question and not a challenge to your statement but can you show me where the ‘many others’ have posted their results? Except for you (and I think I may be talking to you on the other thread) I’ve not seen any. Again I’m only talking about terrain loading over a wired high speed fibre connection and not the plethora of other CTDs. 

4 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

Maybe if you are prone to network issues anyway,

My network connection is 100% rock solid.  I only need to apply the workaround when in MSFS - I remove it when I’ve exited the sim.

edit. I apply the workaround *before* starting MSFS. 

Edited by boez

1 minute ago, boez said:

This is a genuine question and not a challenge to your statement but can you show me where the ‘many others’ have posted their results? Except for you (and I think I may be talking to you on the other thread) I’ve not seen any. Again I’m only talking about terrain loading over a wired high speed fibre connection and not the plethora of other CTDs. 

About 'terrain loading over a wired high speed fibre connection' specifically? No, I can't. This thread isn't specifically about that though is it. It's about 0xc0000005 exception codes and map zooming and the CTD's in general which have appeared since SU13 and have not been fixed yet. By anyone. You seem to have a CTD free system when using your workaround. Not everyone does which is why I would look at my network connection if I were in your position. But you say it is rock solid so, who knows. 

1 hour ago, St Mawgan said:

This thread isn't specifically about that though is it.

No but I never said it was. You posted your thread reply during a phase of discussion where the network workaround was being indicated as working for a couple of (more) posters and you said it doesn’t work for everyone. I just wanted to ascertain if that was indeed true only because if it was then that’s the first time I’d see someone post that. I’m only pressing for more information as I (or other contributors) may be able to help the subset of folk for whom the workaround doesn’t help. It’s not an attack on your point of view and/or situation. It’s very important when debugging software to know under what conditions a fix does not work even if that makes the fix less solid as it gets you closer to the real cause. 

I have been suffering from CTD’s and Freezes for about a month and I purchased and installed MSFS on a brand new, custom built computer in October 2022 and had never had a CTD.

I have been sick for a few days so have not been to work and today I decided to look into the issue.

Using event viewer, I was able to ascertain that it started on 20OCT23. Tracing back I was able to ascertain that the only change to my computer was a Nvidia driver update (545.84) which I installed on 18OCT23 via GeForce Experience (and I have always updated when a new driver was available, and for years), Current driver on system 546.17. 

I did a fair amount of googling which lead me to a Reddit Nvidia page, where it seemed from that chat from users that the last stable driver was 537.58 and this seemed to be almost universally agreed.

So I uninstalled GeForce Experience (logging out first as per Reddit) and using DDU, removed 546.17 and I then installed 537.58.which I had downloaded and had ready to go.

Result? No CTD’s and have flown two full, stutter free, error free flights tonight. So be weary of Nvidia drivers higher than 537.58.

It has been so uplifting I feel better and have reported fit to crewing.

• Like 1

Yes, rolling back the Nvidia driver worked for me for a few flights too. In fact I was convinced that was the issue for a little while. Alas, no. 

I have now tried every reccommended workaround for my CTD's (including uninstalling WU6) and I still experienced a CTD approching EGGD from LOWI. I have just flown into EGGD from EGMC, no problem. So I am wondering if the length of time of the flight also has an impact on this issue. Having just read the above from mwa05, it is next on my list ....... though I've never rolled back a NVIDIA driver before though.

Thank god I have other games to play while we wait. All of which are 100% issue free and not dependent on workarounds, specific drivers or only playing on the first Tuesday of the month, if there is a full moon with an N in the month and only while wearing red socks.