Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

MSFS 2024 v.s. MSFS 2020 Side by Side Comparison Video

Not forgetting the atmospherics in the MSFS 2024 video don't have the new values/coding implemented that Seb and co have been working on (as they've mentioned elsewhere), not sure if that's mentioned in the video not watched it (or going too!).

Plus not to mention it's Alpha footage, a lot can and will change between now and release so whilst it's no doubt a nice video it's not worth wetting the bed over 😁

Ninja'd by Tuskin!

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 2

Pico Neo3 Link VR - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 minute ago, Tuskin38 said:

Nothing in the trailer is obviously final. A lot can change between then and release.

Precisely!

I expect features only to improve and I'm excited for them. Though if we're going to compare, we have to compare on what has been shown, not what we think it will look like
(Which is why I think this comparison video is premature. But then, I suppose I can be a grumpy sod).

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737MAX said:

Preferred the current version's colours ...

On this specific topic the new atmospheric engine that'd impact the colors and also rids of the horizon line problem didn't make it into the trailer, per their last Q&A https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/september-2023-live-developer-stream-transcription/610612

Seb: I can answer that. I think some people might have even noticed this in the trailer that Jorg talked about back in June. This issue required a complete overhaul of the atmospheric engine. For those who are mathematically inclined, there are two integrals involved. In Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, these integrals were pre-computed, which led to precision errors. In the rework of the atmospheric engine, everything is sampled in real-time, with the graphics card handling the computations, eliminating virtually all precision errors. This was a significant architectural change. The only way to address it in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 was to attempt to find a way to remove the horizon line, but this issue has been resolved since then. However, it didn’t make it into the trailer. So, I would say it’s a positive change.”

The re-worked atmospheric engine in v2024 uses real-time computations, and won't be like v2020 which is based on pre-computations adjusted by scalars (so stuff like the 3 constants for the v2020 atmospheric colors don't even apply in v2024).

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

And good to keep their FSEXpo presentation in mind where they elaborated more on the visuals improvements than the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPhScg_FINE

Specifically at this timestamp onwards: https://youtu.be/VPhScg_FINE?t=936

• Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

13 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

They're 3D models in 2024

Do you mean the trees in MSFS 2024 trailer are handcrafted trees?  That is, the trees in the MSFS 2024 trailer are not generated by the graphics engine?

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Do you mean the trees in MSFS 2024 are handcrafted trees?  That is, the trees in the MSFS 2024 trailer are not generated by the graphics engine?

I don’t believe Asobo have said how they work, all I know is they’re not 2D anymore.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

I don’t believe Asobo have said how they work, all I know is they’re not 2D anymore.

Oh, that's interesting. To be honest, I like how the trees work in MSFS 2020. In MSFS 2020, we have proper forests because the trees are grouped close together, and it looks like an actual forest.  The MSFS team has a unique challenge of convincing us we are looking at forests, while keeping the FPS as high as possible, which isn't an easy task (the more trees you have, the lower the FPS). But they accomplished this with MSFS 2020.

My criticism of the trees in MSFS 2020 is we don't have enough variety of trees. I just hope they increase the variety of trees in MSFS 2024, and it appears there are different variety of trees in the MSFS 2024 trailer.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

20 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Do you mean the trees in MSFS 2024 trailer are handcrafted trees?  That is, the trees in the MSFS 2024 trailer are not generated by the graphics engine?

They talk a bit more about the trees at this timestamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPhScg_FINE&t=1086s  (3D trees, enhanced tree diversity matching locality, proper heights, and full seasons that would make use of 3D trees and leaves falling etc). If I were to guess, given the comment about "lots and lots of different types of 3D trees", each tree type's base model might be handcrafted? and then procedurally placed, sized, etc along with procedural leaves removal/addition and changing of colors? Definitely not hand-placed I'd think, expect in any hand-crafted specialty areas/airports. Per what they said at FSExpo the sim graphics engine will use AI to replace what it identifies as trees/bushes/etc in 2D and/or photogrammetry with 3D trees/bushes/grass/etc.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len

2020 took awhile to get going, but we now have some of the most realistic planes ever made.

I see nothing wrong with giving people a reason to fly. There is a reason people join virtual airlines.

I think 2024 could be huge for helicopters. Both for the so called arcade group, but also for those of us who would love to see simulated realistic helicopters.

I have no interest in flying a helicopter right now in 2020 just so I can tour a city. Gets boring really fast.

But give me a realistic helicopter with a reason to fly it from point A to B and I am there.

Also can see myself getting back into a great version of a Caravan and putting out fires.

Meanwhile, I need to learn the new TBM850 that I just got. So many planes and so little time.

Ron

• Like 10

Ron

MSFS -A2A Comanche250 -Cessna 310 -Cessna 414 - Black Square Duke
Black Square TBM 850 - 146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-800

Even if the graphics in MSFS 2024 were identical to the graphics in MSFS 2020 -- which of course is not the case -- graphics in 2024 will still look far better for most users because performance will be up to 400% greater, according to Asobo. This will allow much higher graphics settings for those with less-than-top-of-the-line equipment.

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

1 hour ago, pstrub said:

Nice video! However I don't really like the tagline "pursue your dream of having a game that always crashes"... While I have my own set of issues, overall I enjoy MSFS 2020 a lot, and it seems it's only a small fraction of the userbase that is really affected CTDs.

Agreed seems unfair. I have sometimes 8-12 hour sessions and haven;t had a CTD in ages at this point. 

• Like 3

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

10 minutes ago, David Mills said:

because performance will be up to 400% greater, according to Asobo. This will allow much higher settings for those with less-than-top-of-the-line equipment.

Careful with that statement. It was something like 'some aspects will receive up to 400% increase' and was not a performance uplift of 400% across the entire sim.

With more elements being rendered in the cloud and streamed, top-end machines might not see the huge performance gains against lower spec ones that we are used to in MSFS2020.

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

On this specific topic the new atmospheric engine that'd impact the colors 

I'm being really slow today 😖 
I was talking about the differences in terrain and building colours, thinking that MS had used more recent Bing imagery that was perhaps lighter in colour. But actually, you are (of course) correct, they're both impacted by the new atmospheric engine.

I'm well aware of Biology's thread and atmospheric colours improvements, even using MortThe2nd's colours and Drunq's wonderfully simple 3-file drop-in method.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Naw I'll stick to 2020 for a while....then again maybe not.

They'll probably break MSFS with another SU and force us all over to 2024 by then.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

43 minutes ago, spearmint_flyer said:

Agreed seems unfair. I have sometimes 8-12 hour sessions and haven;t had a CTD in ages at this point. 

Yeah, there was a time when I was plagued by CTD's but it's been very stable for the last several months or more. I hope the 2024 is also stable before they "add" anything else.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---