Sign in to follow this  
Tuskin38

November 29th 2023 - Developer Stream

ini A320 might be delayed because of an application crash

some new ground handling physics being back ported from 2024, and better suspension modelling coming in SU15

Example video showed the Cessna 172 jerking when coming to a hard stop, more bounces, and the plane shaking a bit more on the ground when moving parts of the aircraft.

These changes should effect all aircraft, not just the 172.

ini A320 will be removed because the Crash rate is too high

New City Update coming, I missed all the names, Stockholm will be later because of all the bridges they need to clean.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 11

Thanks. I see they are gonna ask my question about watermasking.. Let's see what the answer is.

• Like 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

My notes so far:

Expert series aircraft:

• atr-72 will get more updates and fixes, likely Jan'24 (Hans going thru reported issues)
  • more expert series plane will come in future

Marketplace:

• marketplace backlog: they're caught up now, unblocked, admitting new partners
  • impossible to test every add-on, ms/asobo only test that they're compliant for marketplace

Atmospheric colors improvements in SU14

• full rework of atmospheric simulation coming in v2024 (includes horizon line fix)
  • in v2020 in addition to parameters fix, also backported sun color changes and some other stuff from v2024
  • effect of ozone layer now more realistic
  • new values are immaterial in a sense (and different), since the changes are more than just changing the values

Ground handling improvements coming in SU15

• a lot of rewriting of physics engine in v2024 (so basically confirmed full ground handling re-write is coming there with overall physics/aerodynamics rewrite)
  • they found a way to bring some of the ground handling changes into v2020!
  • even with su10 fixes to ground handling every wheel could only still go up and down effectively, i.e. no tilting etc
  • irl, in addition to suspension, tire is flexible, can bend, dampens on curve or gust of wind, etc
  • airframe is now more freely flexible and not stiff.. stiffness of suspension simulation is no more
  • when taxiing aircraft now moves more flexible/realistic
  • landings more realistic, elasticity, bounces realistic, braking reaction, etc
  • suspension has been to made to move more freely in all dimensions
  • plane makers don't need to change anything, will still give parameters for them to fine tune
  • this will benefit all aircraft from GA to airliners
  • helicopter skids will also benefit
  • heli airframe will twist due to blades motion, on ground the cabin will vibrate due to blades motion
  • when lifting up the skids will behave more realistically from ground to air transition and vice versa
  • before when wheel moved, previously the whole entire body moved instantly, which comes off as unrealistic ground handling
  • now when wheel moves, then there is delay in energy transfer/propagation as in real life ... limited storing of energy, elasticity will give more rebound
  • oversteering => front wheel skids => plane turns less, with these changes the plane will react more realistically when oversteering
  • so this will benefit overall ground handling and control, ground <-> air transition, landings, etc
  • more details/videos to come in future

Helicopter physics improvements in SU15:

• adding multi top rotors (now can have two rotors for lift, controllable independently)
  • adding possibility to orient rear rotor
  • and other changes

Water masking

• they get watermask images from data provider, which needs fixes
  • they are doing experiment with data provider to get more focused data along with new post-processing to improve

World Update 16

• Caribbean
  • so water mask handling & fixes will be important 
  • aiming for Jan 30th
  • related local legend will likely be heli (they said Sergio will be happy)

Live weather & turbulenceclouds

• Seb says that turbulence *can* be experienced in live weather (he tested it today in Spain)
  • Turbulence engine does not depend on live vs manual weather .. Seb points out to always remember the conditions need to be there for turbulence too (season, time of day, temperature, winds, terrain, etc)
  • Clouds density does need fixing in v2020, Seb agrees with that and they'll be looking into it

ATC improvements started in SU14, and continuing SU15+

• system that computes active runway (which worked well) conflicted with QoL system
  • now with assistance setting user can disable the QoL system, and can get maximum realism (i.e. if you pick wrong runway, you'll face the consequences)
  • leveling has been improved
  • language/terminology fixes
  • ATC will be continued to be improve in SU15 and beyond, based on the backlog of issues

New world hub (i.e. scenery gateway) will come in December likely, latest January

Roadmap for v2020 next year

• various sim updates, 4 more world updates, 4 city updates
  • and v2024 of course
  • they showed one single pic as teaser, of a very detailed grand canyon it looked like

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 45
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Jörg: Assistance reset bug is fixed by today.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Jorg: We're gonna fix past VR regressions (paraphrasing), only thing I wanted to to hear, lets see if it actually happens.

• Like 3

Pico Neo3 Link VR - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Did they say anything about the tiling issues in both DX11 and DX12 yet?

• Like 1

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, MarcG said:

Jorg: We're gonna fix past VR regressions

The British government:- we’re gonna build a high speed rail…. Sorry I couldn’t help myself 😁🤣

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

New 2024 screenshot. They really like the grand canyon lol
Wkglr2H.png

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 11

They answered a lot of questions this time making it a fuller Q&A 🙂 .. Happily surprised by all the ground handling improvements planned for SU15 and how they're able to backport some of the rework done in v2024 (though won't be the full set of course). Seems like they backported a little from v2024's new atmospheric engine too. That last teaser pic drop from v2024 was pretty impressive.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 5

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or do those clouds in the 2024 pic look more convincing?

Clouds like that would not really register in 2020. They'd either look like mist or just try to take a ball shape. Here they're nicely elongated. I like it!

Also, WU Caribbean, baby!!!! YEAHHHHHH

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 7

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

15 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Did they say anything about the tiling issues in both DX11 and DX12 yet?

Yes they did. Not have the timer though....but I was very curious about that. 

They have 2 things ongoing

Tile loading while flying is due multiple different tile data sources available due world updates...fix is ongoing already (like in french Alps)

Tile flipping at airports (here in GB mentioned as an example). Fix is found and will probably make it into su15. Cause was a caching issue. Wich loaded Bing Maps on top of  custom (like airport) ground textures. 

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 7

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Oh thank god we're finally getting ground handling improvements. The improvement list looks fantastic! Can't wait for SU15.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.