Sign in to follow this  
buspelle

best airfield/base for my Vulcan...

23 minutes ago, jon b said:

The above picture of Woodford looks fantastic to me , and personally I’d be very grateful for your work in bringing it to the sim regardless of any colour matching issues which I won’t even notice!

I second that, especially when made by the "Mega Spud" has he should now be known!  :biggrin:

A 748 for the sim wouldn't go a miss either (hello Just Flight!).
They did one for FSX.  Had good RR Dart sounds if I remember.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

27 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

They did one for FSX.  Had good RR Dart sounds if I remember

And in return I’ll second that 👍

Yes, they have one for FSX/P3D which was made by aeroplane heaven I believe.

As you say the sounds were good but it flew like a jet, way too much power, and the fuel trimmers didn’t work, and they were the most tweaked buttons on a 748.

They could do the 748 and then work on the ATP, much like they’ve done with the 146 following on with the RJ, ah we can only dream !

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 hour ago, jon b said:

The above picture of Woodford looks fantastic to me , and personally I’d be very grateful for your work in bringing it to the sim regardless of any colour matching issues which I won’t even notice!

I couldn't handle arriving at somewhere that fluorescent. 

I will see if Skell300 is interested in doing the buildings for it but he may be a busy bee. References could be a bit of a problem. 

And there is one on flightsim.to already, albeit a fairly simple one

https://flightsim.to/file/15853/egcd-reborn-for-fse

Edited by superspud
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I gues you don't mean a 747-8 for which we are covered quite well with the WT aircraft?

24 minutes ago, fsiscool said:

I guess you don't mean a 747-8 for which we are covered quite well with the WT aircraft?

No, that's right, we are quite well covered by the B747-8 as you say.  I mean the HS (later BAe) 748 turboprop airliner that was built at the airfield being discussed above (Woodford), and sold around the world. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Siddeley_HS_748

This is in the days when the UK had a bright Aerospace industry, before we decided to use our lack of vision and lack of competitiveness to allow ourselves to give it all up, or be bullied out of it by the big boys in the industry. 

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:40 AM, jon b said:

I did exactly the same.

As a young air cadet I spent the afternoon in the control tower at Scampton .. making cups of tea for the controllers, and watching the Vulcan do circuits. Very noisy as I remember.

Now it’s my turn !

I have a cherished memory from my childhood, I was 15 at the time and a Vulcan landed at my local airfield, I managed to get the day off school, I must of only been about 100 meters away from the runway, as I was allowed past the public viewing area because my mother worked at the airport (this would 100% not be allowed anymore because of H&S), as you can imagine I took a full roll of photo's of it landing, it had been acquired my the Air Museum there (Link to the Museum's website here https://www.nelsam.org.uk/). What was of interest with the Vulcan landing at the then Sunderland Airport (which is now the site of Nissan) is that it only had a main Runway slightly less than 4,000 feet! There is a video of the landing on YouTube. I plan eventually to try and recreate the airport even though I've never made an airport in any flight sim, there used be a freeware version for FS2004 obviously it was a bit basic compared to what we have got used to with modern flight simulators but it was better than nothing. Anyone fancy doing it rather than me? As someone experienced in making Airports will most likely do a better job than what I'll be able to achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQKL_5YVuVE

Edited by Amon1973
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

One of my abiding Vulcan memories was a visiting one cracking the runway at RAAF Edinburgh near Adelaide, South Australia. My dad was on an exchange posting with the Australians, so I lived there for two and a half years. By coincidence, many years later with the MOD, I met the pilot's wife at RAF Upwood.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

9 hours ago, fsiscool said:

Ant why not use the Vulcan from here?

FHAW - RAF Ascension Island/ Wideawake Airfield - Upgrade for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

That is where Vulcan's probably most famouse operations started.

I'm going to redo that fairly rapidly. It's still too modern and there are more differences than I expected.

I have found one single aerial pic of the airfield from 1982 from a documentary about the mission and that'll have to do despite it being largely fuzz. 

Might add some military stuff to Stanley in the same file so you have something to feel like you've really travelled through time after rotting in your chair for most of the day. 

Edited by superspud
  • Like 7

One of the Black Buck liveries missing from the Just Flight release is XM597 which was interned in Brazil after experiencing difficulties. Unable to jettison its full payload prior to landing, one of the Shrike missiles was kept by the Brazilian authorities after the aircraft and crew were released. Livery available at flightsim.to

Must take another trip to East Fortune to re-photograph her.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

On 12/2/2023 at 6:14 PM, Petraeus said:

Vulcans were also based at RAF Finningley, which then became EGCN Doncaster / Sheffield Airport, aka Robin Hood Airport. There is a version of it in its V-bomber days here:

RAF Finningley - EGCN - UK for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS 

That looks nice.

I got a paid version in marketplace of Donny that has the Vulcan sitting there but yours looks far better tbh. 

Ah excellent , that was quick ! Well done.

And a  brilliant and accurate commentary on UK new build estates.

I hope someone can indeed help with the ILS data, I seem to remember it was steeper than the standard 3 degrees due to coming in over the high terrain of Kinder Scout.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, jon b said:

I hope someone can indeed help with the ILS data, I seem to remember it was steeper than the standard 3 degrees due to coming in over the high terrain of Kinder Scout.

ILS is present, and it's 3.6 degrees which is the one AIP ish detail I could find, but for some reason it rarely shows up. 

sEbfhgu.jpg

There's absolutely nothing about approaches etc out there, but I could never figure out how to add that to scratch built airports anyway. 

Edited by superspud