Sign in to follow this  
buspelle

best airfield/base for my Vulcan...

Hello Friends! Witch is the best/most realisitic RAF base for my new stunning JF Vulcan? Payware or freeware?

any tips?

Best Regards

Buspelle

I like Lossiemoth EGSQ, is freeware and situated in the north of the UK. Nice starting point for e.g. flights over Inverness and Lochness.

Made quite a few sorties out of there with the Vulcan.

• Like 2

I'm using RAF Waddington, a historic V-bomber base.

https://flightsim.to/by-country/GB/search/waddington

Note that it has two dependencies, so you need to install those too:

https://flightsim.to/file/5326/egos-raf-shawbury

https://flightsim.to/file/27131/raf-marham-egym

That second one gives you RAF Marham - another V-bomber base. 😉

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Anticipating the release of the Vulcan, I picked up the payware IM Scenery EGXP Scampton during the Black Friday sales and I'm very happy I did.  There are decent freeware Vulcan bases around, as Paul K says above, but such a good model deserves a high quality home!

• Like 1

There’s a bunch of nice RAF freeware over at .too. Scampton (sp?) is another one that was a significant Vulcan base.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, CavalierDuck said:

I picked up the payware IM Scenery EGXP Scampton

I didn't know about that one - I would have bought it too. Looks very nice indeed.

Thank You SO much my friends! I will check all these airports out!

Best Regards

Pelle

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CavalierDuck said:

I picked up the payware IM Scenery EGXP Scampton during the Black Friday sales

I did exactly the same.

As a young air cadet I spent the afternoon in the control tower at Scampton .. making cups of tea for the controllers, and watching the Vulcan do circuits. Very noisy as I remember.

Now it’s my turn !

Edited by jon b
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

It would be nice if someone ever made a Woodford airfield.It’s sadly a housing estate now, although there is still the Avro museum there , I think, which has a Vulcan on display. It would also be a good place to base my BAe146 and Avro RJ

• Like 3

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I'd like RAF Gaydon to be resurrected. I lived there as a boy during the V-bomber era. The night scrambles were thrilling.

I think I'll get IMs Scampton. It's still got all the V-bomber hard-stands, unlike Coningsby just down the road where they've been built on. Scampton also has the QRA hard-stands, at the 22 end.

Edited by Paul K

Some good info for Vulcan owners in this thread. I notice Scampton doesn't have an ILS, which is remarkable given its history. I wonder how easy it is to install one using the SDK.

I think they've possibly still got a Vulcan at Southend Airport (EGMC), and there is a quite nice EGMC out there (Orbx, I think).

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

14 hours ago, jon b said:

It would be nice if someone ever made a Woodford airfield.It’s sadly a housing estate now, although there is still the Avro museum there , I think, which has a Vulcan on display. It would also be a good place to base my BAe146 and Avro RJ

I've been fiddling with aerial images recently which is really the only viable way to bring back dead airfields. 

As you can see my chosen image has a slight colour matching problem. Not sure that can be sorted out. 

YOufS3g.jpg

Edited by superspud
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, superspud said:

I've been fiddling with aerial images recently which is really the only viable way to bring back dead airfields. 

As you can see my chosen image has a slight colour matching problem. Not sure that can be sorted out. 

Ooh a reply from uk airfield building royalty Mr Superspud !

Firstly ,many many thanks for all the airfields you’ve made for the uk community, they’re cracking! I especially enjoy flying from  Guernsey airport In your Channel Islands package.

I’m absolutely delighted to hear you’ve been looking at  Woodford , that would be a great airfield to have in the sim, especially so done by yourself 👍👍 

The approach to 25 being very picturesque coming in over Kinder Scout mountain, and I seem to remember their ILS being slightly steeper than normal due to that terrain issue.

I have very fond memories of Woodford, having spent 5 days “ job shadowing “ the air traffic controllers there in my final year at school. It must have been 1987 or early 88, and they were busy test flying the BAe ATP at the time, and we watched it perform all sorts of experiments like going backwards in reverse thrust all the way down the length of runway. I remember being taken across to the canteen for pizza and chips and saying hello to the test pilots. An absolute honour for a 15 year old aviation enthusiast.

When I was a bit older at 21 the first “big” airliner I flew was the HS748, built at Woodford. It was ironic that I had to move to the other side of the world, Indonesia, to get a flying job and ended up on an aircraft built only a few miles from my home.

The above picture of Woodford looks fantastic to me , and personally I’d be very grateful for your work in bringing it to the sim regardless of any colour matching issues which I won’t even notice!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.