Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Got a 7800X3d and a Reverb G2 or better? What're your temps?

Posted (edited)

I'm getting thermal throttling, which I discovered because the PC shut down suddenly during a flight the other day, so I started closely monitoring temps.

I run around 50C just playing movies. Gets up to around 70 in normal games or in MSFS if I don't turn VR on. In MSFS in VR, it runs around 80 for awhile, then  starts bouncing up toward 90, when I can see the chip speed being throttled back when it hits 70ish again for a few seconds before bouncing back up. In testing this morning on a relatively easy load (Lear 35, FL400) it peaked at 93.

These chips are supposed to run cool, and I've got a good HSF on it, so I've probably got a redo of the thermal compound in the future, but wanted to compare temps with others running similar hardware if possible.

Thanks!

Edited by eslader

Posted (edited)

You can try (if not already done) undervolting your CPU + as you mentioned, redoing the thermal paste.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Could perhaps be suboptimal case airflow. What do the motherboard thermal sensors indicate about the temps inside the case when it runs hot?

Mobo temps are fine. And it's a supertower case with lots of fans blowing bottom front to top rear, as well as two Noctuas on the CPU cooler.

I have the 7800X3D and see temps around ~76c in VR. This is with a Noctua UH14S cooler in a Phanteks G500A case with 3 Noctua 15cm intakes and a single Noctua 15cm exhaust. I would definitely be looking at your thermal paste for one.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Guest Stampee

When i use TAA mode my temps instantly shoot thru the roof. Even if paused or in the main menu. I think there is a bug in TAA.

Good luck.

Stampee

Huh. That's interesting. I actually turned antialiasing totally off the other day. Didn't seem to be doing much other than making the gauges blurry. 😉   But I hadn't done that yet when the computer shut itself down. Wonder if it was generating more heat because of that.

I run 7950X3D with a 360mm water cooler. I can run CineBench non-stop, burning around 200W at 90-95C sth.

Running MSFS VR with nearly Ultra everything and TLOD=400, I see CPU peaks at ~85W and ~85C, average probably around 70W and 75C. I haven't seen thermal throttling in either benchmark or MSFS. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Well that's embarrassing. I just got a lesson in not building computers without magnification since my closeup vision has gone to seed after turning 45. For the re-paste I had my magnifier headset on to look for imperfections in the surfaces. Got the heatsink off the chip and was about to clean it off with alcohol when I noticed a weird square line all the way around the mating surface of the heatsink.

Turns out in addition to the usual stiff plastic cup they ship it with to protect the surface, they also put a thin clear plastic protective sticker on it. So all this time I've been trying to keep a chip cool through a plastic barrier.

I'm honestly amazed the thing stayed as cool as it did, only ever getting up to the 90s in MSFS. Now I'm flying at sunset in clouds over a populated area and I haven't gone past 77 and spend most of the time in the mid 60s.

Hope y'all get a good laugh out of this. I did, after a minute or two of profanity. 😉

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, eslader said:

Hope y'all get a good laugh out of this. I did,

good sense of humour.

89 celsius is the maximum for the 7850x3D CPU, mine is Noctua air-cooled, single side fan, temps stay around-65-75 celsius most of the time. TAA render settings should be more a thing of the GPU instead of CPU.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

4 hours ago, eslader said:

Turns out in addition to the usual stiff plastic cup they ship it with to protect the surface, they also put a thin clear plastic protective sticker on it. So all this time I've been trying to keep a chip cool through a plastic barrier.

Take comfort in the fact that people have been unintentionally doing this for years, and there's a good chance that you won't be the last.

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Control locks in airplanes always have big letters saying "REMOVE THIS STUFF", but I've never seen a similar warning printed on CPU coolers 🙂

Hah interesting story.  Something to look out for in my next build, thanks for sharing.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |