Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

PMDG hints a totally new aircraft on roadmap, what is it?

Probably Robert's private jet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... 

My guess is the 787 line. Can be used for quite short haul holiday routes, and long haul. More choices, more bucks in sales.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

So Randazzo has hinted that PMDG may have a totally new aircraft on their roadmap, in Randazzos' latest update:

I wanted to create a new thread for this, as I don't think it belongs in the PMDG 777 thread.  There is a slight ambiguity when Randazzo says, "our next new product line." Yes, Randazzo could mean the PMDG 737 Max, or the PMDG 747.  But Randazzo has mentioned the 737 Max and 747 before for MSFS, so I am pretty sure when he says, "our next new product line," he is referring to a new aircraft for MSFS that PMDG has not developed before. Furthermore, if the PMDG team is doing a road trip for this, this seems like it's less likely to be the 737 Max or 747, because I don't know why the PMGD team needs to do a road trip for both those aircraft.  In addition, I assume this new aircraft will come after PMDG releases the 747 and 737 Max for MSFS.

Randazzo mentioned in the past that he would be interested in doing the 757.  And some people mention that PMDG may do the 767 too. But I want to note that Bluebird Simulations is working on the 757 and 767, and Bluebird decided to change the direction of those projects and come out with a much more higher fidelity 757 and 767, rather than a more basic 757 and 767.  So if PMDG has decided on the 757 or 767, that puts them in a race with Bluebird Simulation, and if Bluebird Simulation beats them in the race, that just means less revenue and less profit for PMDG. For this reason, I am skeptical that PMDG's next aircraft will be a 757 or 767. Having said that, it could still be a 757 or 767 though, based on Randazzo's interest in the 757 in the past.

Another possible aircraft could be the 787, since no 3rd party developer has come out with a high fidelity "study level" 787 in MSFS yet.  The Working Title 787 is quite good, but it's not at the same fidelity of other PMDG airliners such as the PMDG 737 yet.  So there is a market for a higher fidelity 787, but of course, PMDG may lose some sales to those people that are happy with the fidelity of Working Title 787 (and the subsequent mods of the Working Title 787 such as the Horizon 787).

So what aircraft do you think is on PMDG's roadmap? The 757, 767, 787, something adventurous for PMDG like the A220, or maybe something else? 

A lot of folks seem to think that RSR just rambles on about things, and all they get from it is that he talks too much, doesn't seem to say anything meaningful, and tune out after the 1st few sentences.

I'll agree that some of it may be musings about things on his mind, but other stuff, like you say abrams, may be strategically placed hints of what is formulating behind the scenes at PMDG.  The speculation that flies off the shelf with each of his posts is probably one of the best marketing tools in the simming community.

The part that seems to evade detection of many is the fact that just his musings constitute PMDG's own marketing campaign, and who promulgates that throughout our community?  We do!  Either wittingly or unwittingly, every time a post like this is made, free marketing is happening for PMDG. Is this by design?  I'll let you be the judge.

Let me ask you, would you rather spend tens of thousands on a dedicated marketing department and the actual marketing itself, or just have the CEO of the company make a few "passing remarks" and get all the free marketing you need for sales by word-of-mouth from the community? 🙂

In the marketing world, publicity is publicity, good or bad...and it helps expose the brand, which more times than not, leads to more sales, regardless of what the community personally thinks of RSR and his methods.

The irony is that every time a disgruntled simmer posts here about how PMDG is this or that...how they take too long, how RSR talks too much, etc, they are unwittingly feeding the marketing train...probably much to their dismay if they ever stopped and thought about it. 🤣

This kind'a reminds me of the scene in Pirates of the Carribean where Sparrow steals the British ship, gets their attention on the other ship, and they come and board the one he appears to be stealing.  All the time saying how silly he was because they could never set the ship to sail with 2 people.  Then when they arrive and board her, Sparrow and Turner hop on the fully-prepared ship, cut the rope and sail off....thanking them for providing them with a  fully-prepared ship.  
Then the final insult to the Commodore is when he starts to ready their new ship to pursue Sparrow, only to find that he's disabled the rudder. LOL    And the quote from the person next to the Commodore "That's got to be the best pirate I've ever seen"...one of the best scenes in the movie.  I know, it's a bit of a stretch for this situation, but here it is you want to enjoy the scene regardless.  

• Like 4

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I’d love to see them revisit some of the great turboprops they made for FSX: Jetstream 41, B1900C/D.  Maybe done at a mid level of fidelity (that’s what the B1900s were from what I remember).

Maybe not likely, but one can dream.

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

Hey Ray, if you recall history...your country, who pioneered a lot of the tech behind RaDaR (capitalized as such since it is an acronym for Radio Detection and Ranging) used to call it "Chain Home".   It helped your country win the Battle of Britian (I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but for the sake of others who are deficient in proper history, hehe)

So RaDaR Contact could also be called "Chain Home Reachout" LOL

Chain Home was actually the code name for the ring of Radar stations not the Radar system itself, I believe.

• Like 3

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Roadmap isn't a new term, it has been used for a very long time.

Edit: I missed an entire page lol

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bigifooti said:

a year ago there was an interview. 

Super interesting interview, thanks for sharing! I did not expect him to be this blatant about potential future projects.

Take the FBW handling , electronic checklist and system logic of a 777, the IAN function and displays of the 748-8 , and finally the avionics of the 737 max , put them all in a sack and shake them up, out would pop a 787.

This would be the easiest and probably most profitable aircraft for PMDG to now make given their back catalogue in my opinion.

Sadly by the time it’s released , if it indeed is a 787 I’ll no longer be flying the real 78. If the inibuilds A350 is any good and I like the look of it I’ll probably jump ship and go and fly the A350.

Edited by jon b
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

46 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Chain Home was actually the code name for the ring of Radar stations not the Radar system itself, I believe.

Ahhh...I believe you are correct.  Thanks for the clarification. 🙂 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

The 787 would indeed make most sense, being a modern common airplane and built upon the 777 framework (which PMDG has ready), and they might also use the same display code they'll use in the MAX. I'd rather hope for 757 personally, though. A 767 would do it, too.

I have missed you the past couple of weekends on account of my flying and travel schedule. While last weekend was relatively boring with some board meetings in Boston, the weekend prior was much more interesting as we had a small portion of the PMDG team together on a research trip related to our next new product line. More on that later, but we also had some time to do another technical visit to compare *our* 777 to an actual 777 to ensure we have all of the visual detailing properly installed.
With our new product line, we are going to do try something we have never done before, by giving you a bit of a look behind the scenes of what goes into the process. This is something we do not normally do- but since Mathijs joined us last year he has been advocating for a bit more sharing- so we thought we'd give it a try on the new product line, so the trip was thoroughly documented. We think it will be fun for you to see how we the project comes into existence- and how much personality exists behind the logo in both the team and the product itself.

Not sure if the 2nd visit RSR talks about to compare their sim 777 to the real one was to same location as their first visit for the research on the new product line. If so that'd mean it's a Boeing 🙂 Very likely it is given their existing expertise and codebase, hopefully a 787 but then again a 757 also likely given previous hints. Now if it is a non-Boeing that'd be very interesting, RSR has said in the last radio interview how he'd love to do an A350. I just hope it's an aircraft line not out there already or in-development (with good enough fidelity) for MSFS yet.

On the PMDG thread Mathijs seems to be emphasizing the "product line" part, whatever than means 🙂
https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/281875-27jan24-we-have-been-busy-and-travelling-but-we-are-hard-at-work?p=282034#post282034

You missed the biggest thing there. It's not a new product but a product LINE. As Rob told us a while back, PMDG has expanded and is now able to handle multiple projects at the same time.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD