Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

I'd rather live in a Tolkien Shire.

16 hours ago, Fielder said:

All the other advanced civilizations in the universe, if there are any, were not saved by their technology.

We don't actually know because we don't know if there are or ever were any. If there are, and the great filter happens to be technological, then all we can do is endeavor to put safeguards in place to avoid such existential threats.  What we cant do though is refrain from developing technologies that have profound benefits for the less well off in society. 

We didn't need no internet back in my day! We just drifted down to Bullucks General Provisions or The Red Lion to find out what was going on around here. Grandma had herbs when we got sick!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 1/30/2024 at 2:28 PM, LHookins said:

that German accent sounded weird to me.

That is Oesterreicher Deutsch! 😉

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 2/1/2024 at 4:20 AM, martin-w said:

What we cant do though is refrain from developing technologies that have profound benefits for the less well off in society.

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 5:19 AM, martin-w said:

Not really, your privacy is still intact. There are plenty of privacy option included with phones, the choice is yours. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/yes-the-fbi-and-cia-can-read-your-email-heres-how/

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I read a sci-fi novel not that long ago where advancing science had achieved near human immortality.

Not the first time I've seen that, but this book delved pretty deep into the weirdness (to us) and implications of going to visit your dad, and maybe your dads dad etc. etc., and having them all be young and spry and looking to be in about their 30's

They had even engineered their pets for long life so they would not have the pain of constantly losing them.

Can you imagine what that would do to human society/culture?!

On 2/1/2024 at 7:20 AM, martin-w said:

We don't actually know because we don't know if there are or ever were any. If there are, and the great filter happens to be technological, then all we can do is endeavor to put safeguards in place to avoid such existential threats.  What we cant do though is refrain from developing technologies that have profound benefits for the less well off in society. 

Why interstellar travel when you can just enter the Matrix and be anyone and anything, anywhere essentially forever?

Pop! Goes the interstellar empire.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 hours ago, birdguy said:

It was his email. 🙄 If you put things in email you rather weren't there, it can be expected. This was a government agency that legally accessed the emails wasn't it? 

If it makes you feel any better, the chances are small that your own or a foreign government will snoop on you.

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Nothing bad really. Can you imagine how valuable to society, somebody centuries old, with a vast amount of knowledge and experience would be? 

9 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Can you imagine how valuable to society, somebody centuries old, with a vast amount of knowledge and experience would be? 

However long somebody lived, only the knowledge and experience of the most recent fifty years or so would be relevant. Imagine someone born in 1800 and still alive today. At what point in that time line would the knowledge and experience become relevant. I don't think it would be any different for someone born today and still living in 2224.

Dugald Walker

29 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

However long somebody lived, only the knowledge and experience of the most recent fifty years or so would be relevant.

I'd disagree with that. My daughter is currently reading a book calad The Daily Stoic. Much of the wisdom is very old indeed. As far back as 161.

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I can imagine the explosive population growth.

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

I'd disagree with that. My daughter is currently reading a book calad The Daily Stoic. Much of the wisdom is very old indeed. As far back as 161.

Philosophers must be less than 0.1% of the population. I was thinking more about the other 99.9%. The Daily Stoic has quite a good website with a few samples from Seneca, Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus.

Dugald Walker

18 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I read a sci-fi novel not that long ago where advancing science had achieved near human immortality.

Not the first time I've seen that, but this book delved pretty deep into the weirdness (to us) and implications of going to visit your dad, and maybe your dads dad etc. etc., and having them all be young and spry and looking to be in about their 30's

They had even engineered their pets for long life so they would not have the pain of constantly losing them.

Yes, it is easy for me to imagine what that would do. It would turn life into a Hell on Earth. I can think of nothing worse than living in such a place. For instance a God who made such a place would be a monster, a devil!

Do away with evil, pain; do away with all sense of loss or frustration. Then everything becomes worthless, boring. Without any satisfaction of having overcome a problem. Never know what it means to survive a great loss and to have bravely carried on through misery and confusion all around you. If there's no death, no chance of great loss, then there is no reason to enjoy comfort or shelter. What are you sheltered from, if there is never trouble outside? Refuge would become a meaningless concept.

Every girl we propositioned would accept. Every swing of the bat, a hit.

Life, friends, would be boring. There might be signs posted up saying that we must not think it so. But we would think it so. And suicide would be the most popular way out.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

9 hours ago, dmwalker said:

Philosophers must be less than 0.1% of the population. I was thinking more about the other 99.9%. The Daily Stoic has quite a good website with a few samples from Seneca, Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus.

Philosophers are minimal, yes, but not personel philosophy, not unique perspectives, not personel wisdom. Not creative solutions to problems. We still value the teaching of all manner of ancient individuals and so we should. We don't abandon wisdom from those in the past, because we are silly enough to think that modern people know better. 

A 200 year old man or women would have amassed an unfathomable number of experiences. Including useful, still relevant, perspectives and knowlege gleened from the past that the young people he or she finds themselves with are oblivious to. 

Knowledge, personel perspectives, philosophical wisdom, historical fact, and that which is learnt from unique personel  experiences are easily lost. The old, no matter how old, 50, 100, 200, 500 years old, retain their value.

If Captain Picard comes across a 1000 year old wise elder, he doesn't tell Geordie to beam him down to an asteroid because he's useless. 😁

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Back to the original theme...

spacer.png

• Like 1