Sign in to follow this  
Steve Halpern

"Ground Environment X" Released

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Awesome, thanks for the update! Will be downloading shortly, looks like they did a wonderful job.

Wow, USA and Canada in one package? For $29 bucks!Now that looks like one #### of a value.

Just what I need.One more addon that I will need to reinstall.:-hah Now if someone would come out with a f-18, a carrier and some missions........

Wow, a reasonable price for an add-on! How shocking! EDIT: can someone tell me if this fixes the desert airports?

I'm very interested in this too, it'd be nice to see some before and after screen shots of the desert mountains, desert airport background and other inaccurate desert areas in general.I know it only came out like 4 hours ago so it might be a *tad* too early for this :-)-Erik T.

Fantastic news....downloading now.....it (FSX platform) just keeps getting better and better.... ;)

What's the basic difference between this product and Ultimate Terrain X-USA? I really love the city and road night lights of UTX, but from the screenshots, prefer the look of the ground textures in Ground Environment X. I would hate to install Ultimate Terrain and lose my UTX night lights! Paul

You won't lose anything from UT, they do two completely different things, and GEX will only enhance what you have now.Enjoy ;)

This is a copy of my post over on the Ground Environment forum:THANK YOU! FSX was hideous this time of year in the northeast with all the brown textures. Now it looks fantastic! It absolutely astounding, and no loss of performance at all. In fact, like the poster above, I think it's even improved.I have one complaint though. I'm using FSGenesis landclass and it's very good. But now that I've installed GEX I have those 10 or 12 story buildings in my home town which don't belong there. The tallest buildings in the small cities and villages are 3 or 4 stories. I even have some stuck out in the middle of rural areas. If the autogen for rural or suburban landclass could be tweaked a bit to kill the tall buildings it would be perfect.Thanks again for a terrific product. I may be up all night flying. :)Jim

Great stuff!! Thanks for the heads up.. and kudos to Anthony Vos ;) he is a true artist.

I'm Downloading but now I see I need 2.6 GB and 512 video card!I am running 2.4 and 256 video card with 1.5 gb ram.Guess I have to wait,eh?Ron

Actually, it uses the same CPU's as FSX... So actually you would be safe. But to get more of what we "advertise" in the pics, you would need more power.It is essentially no risk anyway because we have our 30 day return policy.

Well.....I finally got everything installed, and defragged, etc.....and this is a major improvement, but I expected nothing less.I was even able to go into UT and add the minor urban roads, as this allows them to blend in so much better, as the 'cartoonish' autogen is basically gone. In addition, it seems that 'distant undefined' looking landscape has also been dealt with pretty well, the overall blending and texture is much more complex and defined. The seasonal textures are also much more subtle. Just more more realistic overall.Yea, I also have some highrise buildings where they may not belong, but as I have various landclass installed, the landclass that does get rid of them, also creates a much more rural texture which was not realistic either, so I went back to the more urban friendly version. This may need some tweaking, but overall just a great job here.Very nice indeed.

FWIW, this was one of my best purchases for FS2K4. I have every confidence that the FSX release won't miss its target.Part of my initial hesitation to upgrade to FSX (apart from my comparitively "slower" 3.2Ghz system) was that GE + FS Genesis mesh and landclass made FS2004 look so unbelievably good I didn't see FSX as having enough of a compelling story based on its high-resolution terrain. 'Course now all these products are even better than their successors, so how could I not upgrade ;-)I'm just about to give FE a go for the first time now.

I sure don't see as many posts of screenshots as I though I'd see, let alone replies here or over at Simforum. One thing is for certain, that team put out wonderful textures, so I have to wonder if FSX is not moving that well in the add-on department. Sure a good number of folks claim to be happy as a lark with FSX, but I sure don't get the impression that the number is near what it was or is for FS9. It seems to me people really are waiting a while to even worry about messing with FSX. I know I won't play until the hardware seems to keep up and the overall opinion is great, which I don't think FSX has a good one right now. I wish the team and all FSX add-on developers luck though, and I'll be there to support them as soon as I feel confident that FSX is up to the task, if ever.

Thanks for sharing.....but FSX and the quality add-ons available is close to kicking FS9 off my computer soon. There just isn't any reason to peddle water, or go backwards any more.Fact is, FS9 just cannot come close to the quality FSX and the third-party developers have provided recently, and GEX just widened the gap even further ;)

Some user screens would be nice to see to get an actual "user" perspective on GEX. I'm sure they will begin to show up soon... patience is the word. :)