Sign in to follow this  
Hauptmann

Should I wait for MSFS 2024, or buy 2020 now?

I am with Christopher here. The choice of a version depends of what you want to fly. I was never interested by the aircraft carried by the Deluxe version. It would have been a waste of money for me. I went for the Standard Steam version and never regretted it.

Beyond this, considering that a new version is on approach, it makes little sense to shell out the extra money now. It is probable that its default aircraft contains the improvements of the present one.

Better put the money in a PMDG or A2A or <name your favorite dev> bird than buying a Premium Deluxe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, JYW said:

I couldn't imagine having MSFS and not having access to the Working Title SR22T.    I feel sorry for anyone who is missing out on this amazing "default" aircraft.   I'd pay £30 for that aircraft alone.  And then there are the others; if you like flying LSAs, the Pipstrel Virus is the best LSA in the sim.   And for airliner folks, there's that Working Title re-engineered 787 (made even better by some stable, mature mods).

Nah, not in a million years.   Get Premium Deluxe.   It's so worth that one off extra bit of cash.  The difference is less than an average meal for two. (Or one in London!).

....and I haven't even talked about the additional handcrafted airports.

Yup, Premium Deluxe is the way to go. No doubt about it. The additional aircraft are more than worth the extra cash. 

• Like 1

If I had known then (august 2020) what I know now, I would have gone for the standard version. But that's just me - rarely fly to the Premium Deluxe handcrafted airports, and even more rarely use default aircraft. Get standard then go get the excellent study-level™ Black Square TBM850. Then go recreate all of steveo1kinevo's flights. 

The possibilities with this sim are endless, and there's a plethora of excellent addons - freeware as well as payware. Want to simulate a nice, cosy camping experience after putting the (freeware) Savage Grravel "monster truck in the sky" down next to a river in British Columbia? You can do that! Or go get the (freeware) Vertigo, then fly inverted over EGLL 27L at AGL 50 at 365kts in multiplayer 🙃  

Or perhaps just explore the sim from ground level in this thing.

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I don't think there are any aircraft in the Premium Deluxe version I would want. Standard plus some really good addons, which will always be far better than any default is more than enough. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

16 hours ago, FBW737 said:

I'm waiting for 2024 but that's probably irrelevant to your dilemma since I already have MSFS 2020.🤪

who isn't and who doesn't? please step forward. 🤣

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

12 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

MSFS is both a wonderful and, sometimes, an aggravating game.

True for most titles.

sp

If you've never used Game Pass before, there are regularly deals for new subscribers... you can currently get 14 days for $1, that is plenty of time to test MSFS to make sure your system can handle it. Just cancel Game Pass before the full price subscription sets in and then purchase the full MSFS version of your choice through the Microsoft store to avoid having to reinstall through Steam. Now that the store version no longer encrypts certain files, it no longer has any drawbacks compared to the Steam version.

Edited by Funky D
  • Like 1

I am just wondering how they are going to handle things such as the B747 and B787 in MSFS2024.  Does it mean if you never bought the deluxe version of 2020 you won't get them in the 2024?
I suppose it will have to be that way or people will get them for nothing when others have paid.

For me, £60 extra for the additional content was worth it.  Especially now WT have worked their magic on the deluxe aircraft. 

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I have an older PC (i7-8700K, 1080TI video card, 32GB ram, 27 inch non-4K monitor) and am currently using XP11, however I am definitely interested in MSFS, especially the upcoming MSFS 2024.  Trying to decide whether to purchase MSFS 2020 now to get familiar with the simulator or wait to purchase a new PC upon the release of MSFS 2024.  Are my PC specs strong enough to reasonably run MSFS 2020 and maybe an add-on or two or will I be limited by frame rates (i.e. less than 30 or so), graphic settings and disk space (I would be able to free up about 230GB on my NVMe drive)?

Thank you very much.

53 minutes ago, hitter439 said:

Are my PC specs strong enough to reasonably run MSFS 2020 and maybe an add-on or two or will I be limited by frame rates (i.e. less than 30 or so), graphic settings and disk space (I would be able to free up about 230GB on my NVMe drive)

Yes, you will be able to run MSFS reasonably well at 30 fps or above. It will certainly run better than XP.

Be prepared to buy another drive in the near future when you start to want to pick up more than an add on two…

This is on an i7 3930k and an rtx2070. 

Edited by DD_Arthur

52 minutes ago, hitter439 said:

Are my PC specs strong enough to reasonably run MSFS 2020

do as Funky D said above. GAMEPASS for a few 59,- $  less.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Thank you very much for your replies, DD_Arthur and turbomax.  I really enjoyed your videos DD_Arthur - certainly gives confidence that my i7-8700K will perform OK.  Turbomax I am not too familiar with GAMEPASS but will definitely look into it.  Thank you both again very much.

• Like 1

For the OP, if you've been away from flight sim for 20 years, MSFS 2020 will be a mind blower, GET IT NOW!

As mentioned, for a $1 you can get a two week trial subscription to MS Xbox GamePass and give a full version of MSFS 2020 a try for two weeks.  That was my walk in and I never looked back, leaving behind my $$$ FSX instalI.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

5 hours ago, hitter439 said:

Are my PC specs strong enough to reasonably run MSFS 2020 and maybe an add-on or two or will I be limited by frame rates (i.e. less than 30 or so), graphic settings and disk space (I would be able to free up about 230GB on my NVMe drive)?

Your drive space is not going to cut it... get an additional 500 GB SSD for MSFS.

Bert

Msfs2020 is a great sim. I've been messing around since early 90s trying to learn how to fly and this sim has been very very stable for me. The number of ctd I had in fsx are uncountable. Recently I've bought xp12 and had great fun with it although some out of memory issues have appeared sadly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy msfs2020 now and have fun with it. A lot of free mods too that are higher in quality than many payware addons in the fsx days.

It's a great time for us simmers....