Sign in to follow this  
El Diablito

GA Aircraft for Short Hops

I've done the odd GA flight here and there but I've mainly focused on large scale commercial OPS with all the usual suspects.

I'd really like to get into GA flying as an alternative after recently doing a short 30 minute tour around Monument Valley.

What GA aircraft would you recommend for short 1 to 2 hour hops using this criteria;

1. Available aircraft within the sim

2. Basic systems, not too complicated to fly

thanks guys

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

C208b Caravan, default aircraft, G1000 unit, fairly simple and straightforward, good views for VFR.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

TBM 930...yes really!

Working Title's magic has made this into a gem. Only one 'go' lever and two flap positions to worry about and the avionics,  whilst extremely sophisticated, are also extremely easy to use.

Good speed capability to get from poi to poi too.

• Like 3

My vote would go for the two Beechcraft, the Bonanza and Baron. They are fast enough to get somewhere and not complicated. I use to fly for business. At first I rented a C-172. Later I moved up to a C-182. It would do 150 mph which was about three times the speed of an average road trip in a car. The time savings made it worth flying. The longest flight I did was 4 hours. This was a 12 hour drive by vehicle. 

• Like 2

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Thanks for the input, gents. I took the caravan for a trip up into the Himalayas after downloading the mesh and it was a crash course (literally) in air density at high altitudes.

I'll take a look at the Beechcrafts and the TBM, the cockpit of which I really like.

Thanks again.

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

The Black Square modifications for (some of) the stock are really good if you are intent on turbo-prop flying (quick note on this: it gives you a whole new airframe and avionics, but uses most of the rest of the 3D model that Asobo provide). Other add-ons I'd say are well worth considering are the A2A PA28, and I am currently just loving the COWS DA42. I can probably name another dozen add-on GA aircraft but this ought to get you exploring a little beyond the stock aircraft.

Must also mention the (free) modifications for the DA40NG and DA62 (available from flightsim.to). 

Edited by lupedelupe

I fly the C208 Caravan modified by Black Square for stuff like this.  Not exactly default with the add on I know, but worth it to get the steam gauge version.

It has Short Field performance, a bit more speed than the average GA, good range, feels like a substantial aircraft, not too complicated to learn, reverse on landing if needed, and a good view as it has a high wing.  I love it!.

I have also added the FTSim+ sound pack for it.  Superb and really brings it to life even more.

Sometimes when you get an aircraft like this it stops you using so many others because it is that good.  You can place yourself in so many mission types with this aircraft from simple sight-seeing, to commuter, parcel, bush, and special missions etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

A2A Comanche ! I think it's available in the market too now.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Having flown a Cessna 172RG Cutlass in the real world, the Carenado 182RG is awesome. Not as feature-rich as an A2A product, but arguably the best of the Carenados so far, based on real-world experience with an extremely similar aircraft. Flies right, looks amazing, and you can choose between the GNS530 or a GTN750. 

• Like 1

I tend to fly the Kodiak 100 for much of my GA flying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I fly the C208 Caravan modified by Black Square for stuff like this.  Not exactly default with the add on I know, but worth it to get the steam gauge version.

Agree 100%! I use their Bonanza for short hops / sightseeing, and the Caravan / King Air / TBM850 for IFR flights. Highly recommended and well worth the money.

For default I’d go for the G1000 172 (bit on the slow side for my taste), TBM930 or the modded DA62.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

IRl, the obvious choice is the SR22, really a great plane for a personal use. But it's so automated, not as much fun to fly in MSFS. That's why a lot of folks chose planes with more traditional instruments, more of a challenge and easier to read the gauges.

• Like 1

For a default aircraft?  The tbm 930 for sure.  It's fast, sexy, and can get into shorter strips if needed with reverse pitch.

Otherwise if you have premium deluxe the new cirrus is also very lovely.

If you don't want glass I'd spend some money and get the black square TBM 850.  It's not very complicated (if you want it to be it can), also sexy and nearly as fast as the 330.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |