Sign in to follow this  
JYW

MSFS won't rememeber 'Full Screen' setting

So as part of this month continuing to form the worst instability I've seen in MSFS since Aug 2020, here's the latest little 'ball of fun' I'm fighting with:-

After I lost all settings and spent 7 hours reconfiguring all of my controllers and other settings, I set MSFS to "full screen" (as I always do) in the Graphics settings and saved it.

Now, when I launch MSFS, it is always in Windowed mode.  Every single time I launch it, I need to go into settings, set it to Full screen, save, save again, etc.  And yet when I next launch it, it is back to Windowed mode.

Anyone know what could be causing this?   Every single other setting is being saved between sessions.  It's just this annoying revert to Window mode that is persistently failing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Posted (edited)

I'm assuming your in the beta ?

Please refer to

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/1-37-8-0-regression-custom-window-size-being-reset-every-time-app-is-started-also-fullscreen-mode-reverting-to-windowed-mode/633921

In the mean time

Press alt+enter to quickly toggle back to full screen

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

6 minutes ago, Maxis said:

I'm assuming your in the beta ?

Please refer to

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/1-37-8-0-regression-custom-window-size-being-reset-every-time-app-is-started-also-fullscreen-mode-reverting-to-windowed-mode/633921

In the mean time

Press alt+enter to quickly toggle back to full screen

Thank you!   I'd missed that.    Happy to live with it now I know that it's solely as a result of the beta. 👍

• Like 1

Bill

Posted (edited)

This is happening to me and I am not in the beta program. Even if I set windowed mode to maximize, the next time the sim is started it is not a maximized window,

Edited by hs118
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Just now, hs118 said:

This is happening to me and I am not in the beta program.

It may be happening to you because based on the explanation in the thread the sim pops up an updater which in turns make the sim windowed. I presume this will be rectified in an upcoming update. you can immediately alt+enter and it returns to full screen until a fix is released.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

57 minutes ago, hs118 said:

This is happening to me and I am not in the beta program. Even if I set windowed mode to maximize, the next time the sim is started it is not a maximized window,

I just read on the official forum, a number of reports of users not on the beta, that are also seeing this problem.

As Maxis said, it seems to be associated with the update windows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bill

2 hours ago, hs118 said:

The simulator has a lot of room for improvement. I didn't see any other flight simulator with so many technical issues as this one, regardless of whether it is beta or not.

• Like 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LRBS said:

The simulator has a lot of room for improvement. I didn't see any other flight simulator with so many technical issues as this one, regardless of whether it is beta or not.

Yes, I think it's fair to say that MSFS is having something of a rough spot at the moment.  There are a lot of posts about settings being lost, long loading times, stuck on the 'checking updates', etc, etc.   I have got off very lightly with MSFS problems over the years.   But it's been a nightmare the last few weeks.

Some of it is beta-related - that, I have to accept, as I willingly opted into the beta.   But much of it is not. Losing all of my settings and having to spend 7 hours resetting 40 different controller profiles was nothing to do with the beta!

I hope MS can get to the bottom of this latest period of instabilities and get it back to being a reliable, stable platform.

Edited by JYW

Bill

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, JYW said:

Some of it is beta-related - that, I have to accept, as I willingly opted into the beta.   But much of it is not. Losing all of my settings and having to spend 7 hours resetting 40 different controller profiles was nothing to do with the beta!

If that ever happens to you again try logging out of your XBOX account and logging back in, this will put you back in touch with the cloud, where all your settings are stored.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 3

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 2:29 AM, Ixoye said:

If that ever happens to you again try logging out of your XBOX account and logging back in, this will put you back in touch with the cloud, where all your settings are stored.

Does this as well with mine (right after the (2) splash screens) then you'll for a split second see the 'update screen' then back to the loading screen in albeit in windowed mode. I'm not running beta. This is affecting both beta and public builds.

Edited by udidwht

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

This isn't normal? I've had this problem literally since I first got MSFS back in 2020. 4 years I've had to maximize my screen after every update.

I figured it was normal because I've built a new PC and went to W11 and it does the same on the entirely brand new PC with no similar parts as the old.

Never knew about Alt Enter. Thank you!

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

This windowed state started happening about a week ago. Every time the sim is started. After Alt + Enter all good.

Not on the beta. Bizarre.

• Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:11 PM, LRBS said:

Guess you haven't been flying flight sims very long. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Guess you haven't been flying flight sims very long. 

Do all the problems that so many people are complaining about on this platform have anything to do with me? 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

This windowed state started happening about a week ago. Every time the sim is started. After Alt + Enter all good.

Not on the beta. Bizarre.

• Upvote 1

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU