btacon

New Just Flight PA-38 Tomahawk On Sale Now

5 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

The Stalls don't seem too bad, they are aggressive and the left wing really drops but the there's a decent amount of warning both from buffeting and them from stall horn and recovery is pretty straightforward without that much height loss.

But spins seem an entirely different matter. Easy to initiate with some rudder as the stall horn starts up and they seem to take an age to recover.
Not fun and unless you have plenty of altitude you are in real trouble.

I've instructed in them and the stall is nasty to the point that an inexperienced student could easily find themselves in one of those spins by slightly mishandling the recovery.

• Like 3

David Porrett

1 minute ago, DavidP said:

I've instructed in them and the stall is nasty to the point that an inexperienced student could easily find themselves in one of those spins by slightly mishandling the recovery.

I'm not sure how you'd need to mishandle recovery in the sim version to enter a spin - I haven't tried deliberately messing up the recovery yet.

Certainly I'd not want to go near the rudder pedals after seeing how easy it was to spin deliberately.

They are hoping to release an update today to correct a few issues you may or may not have depending on which GPS you use. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Posted (edited)

The power off stall/spin can be recovered by full back elevator and a little opposite rudder with a 400 ft loss of altitude. Is this really possible with  a PA38?

That is not how I was taught in real life on other aircraft ie Power off . stick neutral  full opposite rudder pull out gently adding power slowly

Nice model but perhaps msfs limitations explain why I've managed to recover from spins in this non standard way. 

Edited by nippa

Posted (edited)

v1.2 (0.1.2)

• Aileron and rudder trim tab adjustment added to walkaround mode, with aileron trim presets for one and two pilot operations.
• ATC not audible - fixed
• Left door latch can no longer be moved with the storm window open
• Fuel pump and selector control assignments fixed
• GTN 750 transponder not responding to inputs – fixed
• Cockpit placard typos fixed
• Digital hour meter sometimes not powering up – fixed
• Battery master switching on when selecting the GNS option on the EFB tablet from cold & dark state – fixed
• Possible to move the rudder when stationary using 'RUDDER AXIS LEFT' and 'RUDDER AXIS RIGHT' control assignments – fixed
• EFB tablet GPS selection fixed
• G-LFSN cockpit registration placard fixed
• Minor sound fixes
• Minor paper chart texture fixes
• Throttle, mixture and magneto/ignition selector not highlighted by MSFS checklist – fixed
• Wear rate option not saving between flight – fixed

edit - Available now

Edited by St Mawgan
  • Like 3

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Did a few spins - absolutely terrifying and exhilarating at the same time! Great aircraft - highly recommended. 

Full first impressions video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UgL51oG2DI

• Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Im enjoying this plane and it's unique handling. Wondering about the pitch down attitude change when deploying flaps. I know some planes do this even with the increase in lift when extending flaps. Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm assuming it's accurate in the pa38

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jer2929 said:

Im enjoying this plane and it's unique handling. Wondering about the pitch down attitude change when deploying flaps. I know some planes do this even with the increase in lift when extending flaps. Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm assuming it's accurate in the pa38

yes some pitch up and some pitch down. It has to do with change of center of lift when flaps are deployed. 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

What are the GPS options exactly? From what I've seen in videos it appears one can only select the larger GNS 530 or GTN 750, with or without their smaller counterparts. That is some serious overkill for a Tomahawk. A GTN configuration would probably cost more than the plane! 🤣 Are there options for a single GNS 430? That would suit the little bird a lot better.

• Like 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

v1.2 - Trim tab adjustments added to the walk-round. Has anyone found them ? I can't see where they are carried out.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rimshot said:

What are the GPS options exactly? From what I've seen in videos it appears one can only select the larger GNS 530 or GTN 750, with or without their smaller counterparts. That is some serious overkill for a Tomahawk. A GTN configuration would probably cost more than the plane! 🤣 Are there options for a single GNS 430? That would suit the little bird a lot better.

Very true! I also wish they had added a few more realistic GPS options such as a single GNS 430, a single GTN 650 and perhaps the excellent freeware KLN90B.

Edited by Tim-HH
  • Like 2

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

I don't own this yet. A couple of pics from the manuals:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

Wow, been flying it in Southwest Germany all day for 3-4 hours. Normally I fly airliners and turboprops, but there's something about the low and slow, VFR scenic flying that I quite enjoy. 

Couple of issues that I encountered:

• sometime during the flight I stopped getting signals from VOR stations
  • when using the "pseudo-autopilot", it adds max rudder, causing airspeed to decrease
  • like in the 146, sometimes I have to click buttons 3 or 4 times before they respond

The VOR and autopilot issues went away after starting a new flight. 

Took a while to get used to the SL30 – COM 1 / NAV 1 radio, but the operations manual is excellent. 82 pages!

EDIT: It seems an update was released while I was flying. Not mentioned in this thread though. Are people using another thread to discuss the Tomahawk? *confused*

v1.2.1 (0.1.2) released - 26/04/24:

• Fuel tank selector logic fixed.

v1.2 (0.1.2) released - 26/04/24:

• Aileron and rudder trim tab adjustment added to walkaround mode, with aileron trim presets for one and two pilot operations.
• ATC not audible - fixed
• Left door latch can no longer be moved with the storm window open
• Fuel pump and selector control assignments fixed
• GTN 750 transponder not responding to inputs – fixed
• Cockpit placard typos fixed
• Digital hour meter sometimes not powering up – fixed
• Battery master switching on when selecting the GNS option on the EFB tablet from cold & dark state – fixed
• Possible to move the rudder when stationary using 'RUDDER AXIS LEFT' and 'RUDDER AXIS RIGHT' control assignments – fixed
• EFB tablet GPS selection fixed
• G-LFSN cockpit registration placard fixed
• Minor sound fixes
• Minor paper chart texture fixes
• Throttle, mixture and magneto/ignition selector not highlighted by MSFS checklist – fixed
• Wear rate option not saving between flights – fixed

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Paul K said:

v1.2 - Trim tab adjustments added to the walk-round. Has anyone found them ? I can't see where they are carried out.

When you are in the walk-a-round, and you get to the "behind wing" stations, when you click on the aileron -- there will be an adjustment option on the right-hand side of the walk-around screen.

Edited by Mace
cain't spel
  • Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB