btacon

New Just Flight PA-38 Tomahawk On Sale Now

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Wow, been flying it in Southwest Germany all day for 3-4 hours. Normally I fly airliners and turboprops, but there's something about the low and slow, VFR scenic flying that I quite enjoy. 

Couple of issues that I encountered:

• sometime during the flight I stopped getting signals from VOR stations
  • when using the "pseudo-autopilot", it adds max rudder, causing airspeed to decrease
  • like in the 146, sometimes I have to click buttons 3 or 4 times before they respond

The VOR and autopilot issues went away after starting a new flight. 

Took a while to get used to the SL30 – COM 1 / NAV 1 radio, but the operations manual is excellent. 82 pages!

EDIT: It seems an update was released while I was flying. Not mentioned in this thread though. Are people using another thread to discuss the Tomahawk? *confused*

No, I think it's this thread (*ponders momentarily*)

I noticed the yoke animations being reversed.  Not sure what got twisted around for that to happen.  I'll re-load the airplane and see if that fixes it.

I didn't notice anything odd about the pseudo-autopilot, i.e. it wasn't adding max rudder.

I couldn't tune the Jonesboro, Arkansas VOR station, but it could be that I was too far away (I was over airport M28 - Mid Continent Airport - at low altitude).

EDIT:  Hmm.  I landed at M28, parked off to the side, and now my yoke animations are correct.  😈

Edited by Mace

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

10 hours ago, Tim-HH said:

Very true! I also wish they had added a few more realistic GPS options such as a single GNS 430, a single GTN 650 and perhaps the excellent freeware KLN90B.

Best request it on the JustFlight forums. I guess the KLN is still under the radar. I hope this will change once the Dukes are released and people can see what it's like. Version 1.0 of the KLN is ready to go and stable for developers, I'm just waiting on the Dukes here.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mace said:

I noticed the yoke animations being reversed.  Not sure what got twisted around for that to happen.  I'll re-load the airplane and see if that fixes it.

I didn't notice anything odd about the pseudo-autopilot, i.e. it wasn't adding max rudder.

I couldn't tune the Jonesboro, Arkansas VOR station, but it could be that I was too far away (I was over airport M28 - Mid Continent Airport - at low altitude).

I've not noticed the yoke animations - but I normally don't pay much attention to them.

In the flight with the NAV-tuning issues, I couldn't tune several VORs, even though I was just a few nm away. After I updated to v1.2.1 (0.1.2) both the NAV tuning and autopilot issues were gone - even though it was not listed in the changelog... 🤷‍♂️ 

Actually, for the last 2-3 hour long flight, I don't think I had any issues, except for the "need to click several times before a button responds"-issue that I also have in the 146. 

5 hours ago, Mace said:

No, I think it's this thread (*ponders momentarily*)

I think so too as the other two threads have been dormant for quite some time now. Anyway, I should stop nit-picking about such minor issues as which thread to post in...

More importantly, I just finished what might have been the most relaxing and enjoyable GA scenic flight in a sim so far! I think my love for GA VFR sightseeing flights has been rekindled. So different to my usual airliner and turboprop flights. I thought I was too impatient for low 'n slow in piston aircraft - apparently not. Must be the Tomahawk - Just Flight have done such a stellar job with it! 😄

Here's a short clip from the end of the flight. Sorry about the gimmicky title... I fear I might be slowly metamorphosing into a... youtuber 😱

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

5 hours ago, Mace said:

When you are in the walk-a-round, and you get to the "behind wing" stations, when you click on the aileron -- there will be an adjustment option on the right-hand side of the walk-around screen.

Thank you, sir - found it.👍

While we're on the subject, do you know what the rudder trim tab should be set at, with just one pilot in the plane ?

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

1 hour ago, falcon71 said:

Best request it on the JustFlight forums. I guess the KLN is still under the radar. I hope this will change once the Dukes are released and people can see what it's like. Version 1.0 of the KLN is ready to go and stable for developers, I'm just waiting on the Dukes here.

Yes, a good idea: https://community.justflight.com/topic/6264/a-wish-for-some-more-realistic-gps-options

You did an amazing job with the KLN90B and I really hope it will be included in more addons soon.

• Like 1

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

This cockpit illumination looks stunning at night! Superb visuals and great radio stack.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 6:55 PM, jon b said:

Oh it’ll be very good in VR, the real aircraft had excellent all round visibility as a design criteria.

I tried it with VR this morning. I must say, it is among my least favourite airplanes in VR in its current state:

- All main gauges are blurry unless you lean forward. I tried to fix the problem playing with settings, but I was unsuccessful. That problem appears also in a some other airplanes, but is fine in, for instance, the A2A Comanche or the Blackbird Cessna 310R. I only have a Quest 2, so that may contribute to the issue, but as I said: other developers were able to create a better VR experience.

- It is a light aircraft and very twitchy. In turbulent air I got quite dizzy. I usually have no problems in VR. The only time I had similar dizziness was when I practiced helicopter landings for too long. 

Generally it is a nice model. I hope they will fix these two problems -  I imagine a change in LOD settings for main panel gauges, and an option to reduce turbulence effects in VR mode might do the trick. 

Peter

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, qqwertz said:

I tried it with VR this morning. I must say, it is among my least favourite airplanes in VR in its current state:

- All main gauges are blurry unless you lean forward. I tried to fix the problem playing with settings, but I was unsuccessful. That problem appears also in a some other airplanes, but is fine in, for instance, the A2A Comanche or the Blackbird Cessna 310R. I only have a Quest 2, so that may contribute to the issue, but as I said: other developers were able to create a better VR experience.

- It is a light aircraft and very twitchy. In turbulent air I got quite dizzy. I usually have no problems in VR. The only time I had similar dizziness was when I practiced helicopter landings for too long. 

Generally it is a nice model. I hope they will fix these two problems -  I imagine a change in LOD settings for main panel gauges, and an option to reduce turbulence effects in VR mode might do the trick. 

Peter

You can lower the turbulence in the Assistance Settings of the sim. But irl the plane will be twitchy indeed, as I know from the Ikarus C42 I train in. Problem in the sim is: you cannot get your eyes fixed on a point outside, because the feedback of you vestibular system is not existent (unless you have a 6DOF motion platform available I guess..) Only the A2A Comanche has an option to compensate for that, as far as I know.

Edited by Rene_Feijen
  • Upvote 1

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

Having selected the GNS 530 thru the tablet I now cant deselect it, anyone else seeing this?

My CFI called her the Blue Flame because it was so slow during an xcountry.  Dont remember any snaprolls.

sp

16 hours ago, Paul K said:

Thank you, sir - found it.👍

While we're on the subject, do you know what the rudder trim tab should be set at, with just one pilot in the plane ?

Regarding the rudder trim, I do not know.   

On my last flight I did set the aileron trim for single pilot operations, and left the rudder trim at neutral.  There was still a bit of a lean to the left.  Maybe it could benefit from a little adjustment on the rudder trim.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

There was still a bit of a lean to the left.  Maybe it could benefit from a little adjustment on the rudder trim.

Maybe include a (good looking) co-pilot to "balance" the aircraft better ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beagle12 said:

Maybe include a (good looking) co-pilot to "balance" the aircraft better ?

That’s my preferred method! I’m happy that Just Flight lets me bring her 😊

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Or add 160kg if you want the weight but not the co-pilot

• Like 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

8 hours ago, Mace said:

Regarding the rudder trim, I do not know.   

On my last flight I did set the aileron trim for single pilot operations, and left the rudder trim at neutral.  There was still a bit of a lean to the left.  Maybe it could benefit from a little adjustment on the rudder trim.

Thanks - yes, that's my experience too. Time to experiment with that trim tab, which will be interesting.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org