Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

DX 11 announced

I'm getting kinda confused in regards to Microsoft's marketing strategy. DX10 was announced for Vista only, it doesn't really convince users to convert from XP en masse, and new Video cards are necessary.DX10.1 is annnounced shortly after DX10, and new video cards are needed again, still not convincing XP users to convert en masse to Vista, and p*sses off those who rushed out and bought 1st gen DX10 cards.DX11 announced. Huh? So those who were not convinced to move to Vista for DX10 or DX10.1 or DX10.x, now resolve to waiting another 1.5 years to DX11 and Windows Vienna (Windows 7)...Why migrate to Vista from XP if you were still on the fence when there will be the requirement to upgrade hardware again to support Windows 7 specs? And if DX11 will be a Vista upgrade, why move to Windows 7, if you have already migrated to Vista? Heck, even Creative Labs and many others have YET to release non-beta Vista drivers and we are on the doorstep of testing a whole new OS (alpha versions are available as we speak!). If you ask me, Vista is much more of a "dead OS" than XP will ever be.Sadly, indeed it is apparant that Windows Vista is tantamount to the "WindowsME" transition between Windows 98 and Windows XP. Remember WindowsME? A useless transitional OS that brought nothing to the table except a more dooded up GUI...yikes, errr, Vista?! Is Microsoft NOT trying to sell Vista? (scratches head and wonders if the Microsoft Marketing Team is in need of a good "talking to".)Microsoft needs to take a que from Apple and wrap major technology upgrades into single good core OS, eg, OS X. Instead of releasing a new OS and obsoleting the incumbant OS every time the wind blows, Microsoft wouldn't get stuck with supporting multiple OS's at the same time AND hardware / software mfgs won't get stuck scratching their heads trying to make their products compatible with everything under the sun that MS releases.

Guest PPSFA

They will have to pry XP Pro from my cold dead hands!XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optomized by www.fs-gs.com

Where on Tomshardware? I searched that site for "DX11" and "DX 11" and got no matches.

Guest fsxmissionguy

XP will likely be my last Microsoft OS, because the OS division has its head screwed on backwards and really seems like they are trying to destroy the company.Here's the thing guys: If nVidia controls my Windows experience, you've run the company into the ground and made a serious error. I feel the same way about FSX multiplayer: If Gamestop controls my FSX experience, someone has made a seriously dumb decision.

I hear you. I've never subscribed to being a Microsoft "basher", but Microsoft will get criticized as deserved.The Vista release is, and has been, an unqualified mess. Quite frankly, if it were not for my version of Vista Ultimate that came with my Technet subscription I'd be running XP Pro. There just are absolutely NO compelling reasons to upgrade to Vista except that one wants to have a nicer looking GUI.I am of firm belief that FSX got caught up in the Vista prerelease fiasco and Aces got stuck holding the bag of poop here in the community. If I were Aces, I'd tell MS that FS11 will be released ONLY after Windows 7 has been released, stablized, patched and DX11 is fully mature...sometime in 2092. :-lolAt this point, if I knew that OSX would support all of my hardware, I'd make the switch and use Bootcamp with Windows ONLY when I wanted to run FSX / FS9.

Guest tmilton

>DX 11 to be announced in July - key features: Shader 5.0,>tesselation, displacement und multithreaded rendering. Source:>Tomshardware>>WalterLink please?

Gee... is it going to require we purchase yet another video card to be able to see all the upgraded stuff?If so... I predict DX will die a horrible death and OpenGL will finally take control of the gaming industry.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest triangle

I can't see OpenGL winning out now ... it had its chance a long time ago when John Carmack first coded up QuakeGL in one night and rallied game developers to push for OpenGL as the main graphics API on Windows but Microsoft shut them down nice and quick. A shame as OpenGL was and is truly platform-independent and delievered much better performance than DirectX ... not, unfortunately, the sort of thing MS goes for (just look at how they treated Java).Triangle

Quote: "Is Microsoft NOT trying to sell Vista? (scratches head and wonders if the Microsoft Marketing Team is in need of a good "talking to".)"I wouldn't look too deeply into Microsoft, because Microsoft just might look back on you :-)Bryan

Java deserves to die. Just based on the their versioning and its frequency alone and the confusion that causes.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest grapesh

>>At this point, if I knew that OSX would support all of my>hardware, I'd make the switch and use Bootcamp with Windows>ONLY when I wanted to run FSX / FS9.>That was my plan exactly: Mac Pro may be the best solution, in terms of hw expandability and compatibility. It also comes with 8 cores standard. I just couldn't afford a new computer at this time, and went with incremental upgrades to my existing PC. I wish though that X-Plane becomes more appealing so I can be totally M$-free. FSX is the only reason I kept my last PC.Cheers,=S.V.=Q6600 (4x2.40 GHz)nVidia Quadro FX 3400WinXP Home-SP2, FSX-SP2

Hi All-I just read in the current edition of PC magazine that Microsoft has inadvertently leaked, through public job postings, a new OS simply called Windows 7 to be released in 2010. So hold on to your hats, it's supposed to be stealthy and much leaner compared to the bloated beast that is Vista, and maybe, just maybe, we will see the kind of improvement in system performance with FSX we have all been searching for. At least perhaps, there may be a machine capable of running it as we would all like. So I'm not making any major hardware changes right now, from one sim or OS to the other. Most of us are running both FS9 and FSX for various reasons. Stick to that, enjoy what you have, and don't waste a lot of cash on video cards anytime soon.Just My 2 Cents,http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.