Everything posted by touchdown84
-
MSFS 2024 SU3 beta allows download of default airports
touchdown84 replied to jabloomf1230's topic in Little Navmap | Little Navconnect | Little Logbook Support ForumDoes that mean there is already some work done understanding on the structure of the scenery/airport BGLs from 2024? Because I couldn't find any information on the structure anywhere and for a small project I want to read part of the BGLs, but can't figure out what has changed from the offsets/field sizes etc. since 2020. If there is already some structure documented somewhere it would be nice to see that.
-
Linked Templates and Fast Turn option
I think there is something weird with linked templates when you add a "Fast Turn" assignment to an aircraft where a linked template already contains a normal (slow) turn assignment. In that case the slow turn assignment in the template is never triggered, when slow turning nothing happens and only when fast turning the direct assignment in the aircraft is triggered. When I apply the template directly to the aircraft everything works as expected, as well if both assignment (slow & fast turn) ar both part of the linked template.
-
MSFS2024 : DLSS beats TAA !
Just use 105 Render Scaling with or without TAA, there is an OBVIOUS difference in aliasing, especially visible on sharp edges (e.g. wings in external view), TAA is doing the heavy lifting there. It is applied in two completely different stages of the render pipeline, Render Scaling affects the initial internal render resolution and TAA is a post-processing effect. By the way, combining different AA methods has always been a thing, like MSAA+SGSSAA, and especially when one of the passes is a post-processing effect like FXAA or TAA.
-
MSFS2024 : DLSS beats TAA !
I think you misunderstood the information text in the settings, Render Scaling > 100 does not "switch" from TAA to SSAA. TAA and Render Scaling are applied sperately for a combined result. The information text just states that it is recommended to use TAA when using Render Scaling < 100, as hard upscaling is increasing aliasing. But that does not mean you can't use it as well when downscaling (super-sampling).
-
MSFS2024 : DLSS beats TAA !
It cleans/sharpens up some more edges, I use a large 42" display, that increases the perception of aliasing. Even with frame gen I'm limited by CPU anyway.
-
MSFS2024 : DLSS beats TAA !
For me, at 4K, TAA + 105% Render Scaling looks good.
-
Applying template: Linked template and merge
Hello, I see a weird behaviour when I want to merge a template into an aircraft configuration when the template already includes a linked template. When I do not merge but replace (or apply to an empty config) everything works fine. But when I merge, the linked template is not added as a linked template to the aircraft but the content is instead applied hard to the aircraft config (including e.g. aircraft automated scripts). Also during the merge dialog when I can select what entries from the template should be merged there is nothing mentioned from the linked template. I would expect to be added as an linked template (ignored when that aircraft already has that template linked), or at least offer to de-select those entries in the merge dialog. And another thing regarding templates, when during export I de-select a script group related to that template, it still gets added to the exported file. Seems a bit confusing to me.
-
Just Flight Summer Sale
Don't forget to apply the additional 20% discount code if you already own the 146.
-
Honeycomb Alpha Sale @ Aerosoft
Aerosoft has a sale on the Honeycomb Alpha for 199.99€ (may vary a bit depending on VAT) until end of week (regular current price is 280€, old release price was 250€). Probably mostly interesting for German/EU customers due to shipping (e.g. 6.99€ shipping in Germany or free if you buy anything else as they have free shipping to Germany from 200€). https://www.aerosoft.com/de/shop/flight/hardware/yokes/2567/honeycomb-alpha-flight-controls
-
New Maps for LNM (update #4)
touchdown84 replied to Bina's topic in Little Navmap | Little Navconnect | Little Logbook Support ForumI noticed that when I was trying to create a dgml and had to mostly rely on looking up dgmls of other maps to see how it works. No worries, what I did now was create a simple http proxy between the dgml and the OFM page that on the fly resizes the images from 512x512 to 256x256 in the response, that way I have the more user-friendly zoom level of the smaller tiles while not impacting the performance of LNM. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00123782338147292791 Proxy implementation in case anyone is curious, dgml needs host/port of the proxy server and 256-tile-setting, otherwise the configuration is same as going directly to the OFM server.
-
New Maps for LNM (update #4)
touchdown84 replied to Bina's topic in Little Navmap | Little Navconnect | Little Logbook Support ForumI had a further look and managed to create a map definition that pulls the tiles remotely from the Open Flightmaps page: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=66428361868327531392 It's basically a composite of two tile layers, one base JPG-tile and a PNG-tile containing the aero/nav data blended on top (as defined by the dgml). That's not an official API, the URL contains the AIRAC and only the last few AIRACs are kept available, so the URL in the dgml needs to be updated regularly and there is no guarantee it will work in the future. It seems only the 512x512 tiles are available this way and only zoom levels 7 to 12 (in contrast to 4 to 11 in the download ZIPs). To have some indication for where you are I copy/pasted the cartolight tile layer until zoom level 6 to the definition. OFM is also only available in parts of Europe, so once you are zoomed in 7+ somewhere else in the world you only see blank space. @albar965 Is it somewhere configurable which tile-zoom-level LNP is using for a current in-application-zoom-level? As the map style changes and increasing information is added with higher zoom it would be nice to composite more detailed tiles already on a lower zoom on the map (for example the low zoom levels contain very little details and only the level 12 tiles contain VRP-flight-paths). If that's not possible a workaround is to change the tileSize width and height in the dgml from 512 to 256 or even 128. That has the effect that even though 512-tiles are loaded from the server the higher level ones are already used one zoom step earlier. Basically each decrease in the configured tile size shifts the zoom level by one. But this also has a performance impact, the program seem a bit more sluggish (probably because the raw data displayed is 4, 16, ... times the size as normally. Edit: Just checked, as expected RAM usage of LNM increases when using a lower tile size configuration: 512x512: 200MiB; 256x256: 500MiB; 128x128: 1400MiB on the same effective zoom level
-
New Maps for LNM (update #4)
touchdown84 replied to Bina's topic in Little Navmap | Little Navconnect | Little Logbook Support ForumWell, it's working without a problem with the OpenFlightMaps tiles. You download them as a zip package that already includes all the zoom level folders and the directory/filename structure is already in the OSM-format so no need for custom modes, just OSM-mode in the marble-dgml, serve the tile root from the web server and it works.
-
New Maps for LNM (update #4)
touchdown84 replied to Bina's topic in Little Navmap | Little Navconnect | Little Logbook Support ForumHow to use OpenFlighMaps tiles in Little Navmap: Run a local web server that serves the tiles Create a marble-compatible, OSM-mode styled structure (dgml, preview, 0/0/0 dummy) and add to the LNM maps directory (data\maps\earth) (see example) (optional) convert all tile PNGs to remove transparency Example map definition: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09950983582843687034 (extract into <LNM_root>\data\maps\earth) You can run a simple web server with python, just run python -m http.server 7878 (port must match port defined in dgml) inside a tile root (the directory that contains the 4, 5, 6, ... directories, e.g. slippyTiles_original\original\merged\256\latest\). If the tile root contains more levels than 4-11 adapt the minimumTileLevel and maximumTileLevel in the dgml. If you want to use tiles other than size 256 adapt the tileSize in the dgml. Hint: This changes the detail at zoom level in LNM because OFM has different map styles for different zoom levels. For example if you are using the 512 tiles from OFM you have to zoom in further in LNM until the map style that includes roads is shown. On removing transparency: Little Navmap does not handle tiles cut off with transparency well, when moving the map it will produce heavy ghosting/duplicating in the transparent areas (hard to describe). When you download the tiles from OFM in the settings you can select clipped or non-clipped, clipped has much more transparency because the area is cut out much more detailed, but even the non-clipped variant can have some cut off (transparent) areas in some border tiles on certain zoom levels. I suggest removing all transparency/alpha from the tiles completely, you can do that easily with a command line script using ImageMagick and Powershell. Example script: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00282460439308057246 Multiple regions You can serve multiple regions from the same web server, just put the tile roots in sub directories for the regions (e.g. ed, lo) and serve from the directory that contains the sub directories. Then create/clone map definitions for each region and in the dgml adapt path="/" to point the matching sub directory. You can try to serve multiple regions from the same tile set by just copying the tiles together, but there can be differences between the regions for the same tile, mostly in the less detailed, zoomed out levels containing the regional boarders. If you do this make sure to use the non-clipped tiles! Serving from LNM You can also use the inbuilt web server from LNM to serve the tiles, copy your tiles directories to the web root (default <LNM_root>\web), adpat the port and path in the dgml and make sure the LLN web server is running. For me the inbuilt server was a bit slower in serving the tiles.
-
Do we have any traffic addons in development?
I still use WoAI, but it's a true pita to install it for optimal performance (installing into dummy-fsx-folders, moving files, repair some minor bugs, convert flight plans, convert bmp textures, find textures without mips and add mips, ...). That's the reason why I only update traffic once a year. I'd love to see (and pay for) a modern out of the box traffic addon without much performance impact.
-
Saved Flights not showing under Load Flight and some mission flights
I would check the XML files in the "categories" directory. Those control which mission categories show up. You shouldn't need to edit the original "FSCategories.xml", but you can create additional XML-files in that folder. I don't know exactly how they must be build. For normal missions the <Title> has to be the folder name in the mission directory. Don't know which IDs to use, I just copied missing categories from the FSX file to another one...
-
SGSS and cockpit clarity
I don't know if the OP is having the same issue, but for me it is as follows (and you cannot see it on screenshots, as I'll describe below): - It is not blurry cockpits per se, but the small texts (e.g. tiny scales in the instruments or small print on the cockpit) are kind of shimmery fuzzy. - When your virtual head is not moving, you can't see the issue. So you can't see it in screen shots either. - When you are moving your virtual head with normal controls, you also can't see it, because you are moving too fast. - But when using TrackIR it is there because your head is always moving a little bit, even when you focus on one spot. That humble movement is enough for the fuzzy texts to appear. - Some planes are more prone to it than others. From the stock P3D planes I see it most obvious in the A36 Bonanza. - When I have SGSSAA enabled, I do not have the issue any longer.
-
SGSS and cockpit clarity
I have a GTX 770 SC with a [email protected] and 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA works without a problem. Without the following settings my GPU is only on about 60% load through the game, with it the GPU is fully used. With the settings everything is fine, lower frames only in city areas, but that is even without AA and CPU capped on high scenery complexity / autogen settings: Additional Prepar3D.CFG settings: [Display] TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=1800 TextureMaxLoad=30 [Main] FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.05 [TERRAIN] SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2 [JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask=15 When in areas with low FPS I just lower the scenery complexity/autogen settings until it's fine. Keep in mind, AA impact is influenced by the screen resolution. I'm using 1920x1080.
-
Why Worse Blurries Than Fsx?
@ X16 1.1 means you are only running with PCIe 1.1. But it could also mean it is in idle mode. When idling my card also shows PCI-E 3.0X16 @ X16 1.1, under load it is PCI-E 3.0X16 @ X16 2.0 (that is because my board only supports 2.0).
-
Can only see "default" aircraft textures ?
Maybe it is the same problem I had with importing the stock FSX aircraft. It seems Prepar3D didn't like that the default texture was referenced in the aircraft.cfg directly (with 'texture=' or 'texture=""'). When choosing a variant from the list often only the default texture was shown (and also loaded later), it seemed kinda random, sometimes it worked, most times not. The solution was adding a texture.0 directory only with a texture.cfg with the following: [fltsim] fallback.1=..\texture fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture and I also copied the thumbnail.jpg from the default folder into this (maybe optional). Then in the aircraft.cfg I changed 'texture=' or 'texture=""' to 'texture=0'. That solved all my problems with showing/loading textures of the stock FSX planes. Kinda weird though as I have other planes that also directly point to the default texture without a problem... Cheers, Jan
-
Scenery Complexity - Bottleneck In Urban Areas?
Stock P3D/FSX planes or Cessnas from Carenado, nothing big or fancy. Tried with a few, results were about the same. 14.5-15.5FPS@max and 27-32FPS@min depending on plane.
-
Scenery Complexity - Bottleneck In Urban Areas?
Hi I'm running P3D v2.2 and am very pleased by the performance overall. Normally 30-50 FPS that feel very smooth. But when I first flew over London a big FPS drop hit me, down to 12-18 FPS and a quite laggy. I tested it standing on London City runway, where standing still I get about 15 FPS. Tried many settings and most sliders haven't had a really big impact between min/max settings. On its own, only the "Scenery complexity" slider made a big difference, doubling the FPS to 32 when set from max to min. The weird part is, the system monitoring shows no real bottleneck: GPU (GTX 770 SC 2GB): Load at ~50%, low temp, not even running at 100% clock; Mem usage around 1.5-1.7GB Ram (16GB): Plenty left CPU ([email protected]): Load at around 30%, one core almost 100%, other three almost nothing So the only thing I could imagine is, that the scenery complexity is single core CPU speed dependent (Affinity Mask 14 or 15, no difference)... When I start flying the FPS stays about the same, even gets better. The GPU load rises and the other CPU cores begin to work (both not to 100% though), so I think all the extra work needed while flying/moving is now processed by resources idle before and the bottleneck is still "Scenery complexity" on its single core. I don't know why it costs so much CPU resources (that apparently can't be distributed in different threads) for displaying those static objects... Can someone confirm this behaviour? Are there any solutions/workarounds? Used AddOns: FS Global 2010 FTX Global & Vector REX Essential+Overdrive WoAI Still I'm quite happy, overall performance is much better than in FSX, only other situation where I get even worse FPS is when I get the problems discussed there: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/439800-tips-for-those-suffering-with-cloud-shadow-performance/ Cheers, Jan
-
Mission SPB/XML files incompatible (at importing stock missions from FSX)
It seems that the SimDirector is a helpful tool for fixing the mission files. While it can not fix a mission by itself, when loaded it shows validation messages for the mission. Errors have to be fixed, warnings can be ignored. It tells me which object has the error and then I can search that objects node in the XML and compare it with other nodes of the same type that have no error. Then I can fix the XML and reload in SimDirector to see if the error is gone. So far I found the following list of what seems to not be valid now: FLT-file set path to ".\" (as in the missions included in P3D) Mission-XML (from SPB, no need to recompile to SPB, just leave the XML there and delete the SPB) "SimMission.AdjustPayloadAction" must have a "WorldBase.ObjectReference" (see first post) In FSX a missing reference was fallback to the player, so I can just set a direct reference to the player there ({1CCF6D89-BA36-445F-B5C8-47571ABC0773}). A node "GroundVehicleAI" must not contain a node "WaypointList". I could just delete them, in my case there were seperate waypoint list objects that were referencing the AI object. Those lists already contained the settings that were additionally nested in the AI object. There was a model missing in "scenery\Global\scenery\Vehicles_Aircraft.bgl". I extracted the missing MDL from the FSX BGL and packed the file in a new BGL that I put in "scenery\Global\scenery". I'll just fix the mission one by one when I need them. For the mission sub-directory issue: The category XML were the solution after all, but the "title" node has to have exactly the folder name as value. That was different in FSX. There the folder names were the default English ones while the title in the category XML were German display names. So either FSX has an additional mapping or just reads all sub-directories. But is is working with folder names as title. Only thing left is a wrong encoding of German special characters from the texts in the FLT file (texts from other files are ok). Jan P.S.: The flying school lessons from FSX seem to not be working nonetheless. Those are using FLT together with the old ABL script format and resources scattered through the whole installation directory. My try to enable them in P3D messed up the installation completely and I had to reinstall...
-
Mission SPB/XML files incompatible (at importing stock missions from FSX)
Hi, I want to import the FSX stock missions into Prepar3D v2.2 and ran into a big problem. I imported the stock aircraft from FSX before that (with gauges, effects, ...) and they work fine. It seems that many SPB files from the stock missions are not compatible with Prepar3D. I used this tool to convert the SPB files to mission XML files to edit and compare them easier. There are two missions that won't work as FSX stock, but that are already present in P3D (e.g. emergency\CAP). So I compared the XML and one thing the FSX stock was missing was the entry <WorldBase.ObjectReference InstanceId="{1CCF6D89-BA36-445F-B5C8-47571ABC0773}" /> in an "SimMission.AdjustPayloadAction" block. Adding this to the mission XML auf FSX stock was enough to make it compatible wit P3D. Unfortunately other Missions are more complex and I have nothing to compare them with. I tried adding that ObjectReference to every "AdjustPayloadAction" block that is missing one in other mission XMLs as well, but it won't work. The only other thing I noticed worth trying in the XML was changing the category references to category ids that are known to P3D, but no look with that, too. If Prepar3D does not except a mission SPB/XML the only message I get is: "Mission [Kwazulu_Mission] from Flight [Kwazulu Rhino Rescue.FLT] failed to load. Flights stored in the Missions directory are expected to be missions. Please verify your flight is linked to a mission, that your mission has scenario metadata, and that your scenario metadata has its scenario type set to mission." Then the mission is loaded not as mission but as a normal flight. I know the error is really about some kind of error parsing the mission file from the cases I could fix (the scenario metadata block in the XML is fine). Is there some kind of debug log, where I can see what is the exact error at reading the mission file? How can I validate a mission file and see what is wrong? They work in FSX after all. ---- I have another smaller issue with the missions, which is not so urgent: Where is it defined in which subdirectories under "missions" Prepar3D looks for missions? E.g. the directory "Backcountry" that is used in FSX. Missions there are not found, but when I copy them to "Emergency" they are. It has nothing to to with the category definition XMLs, I tried that... Thanks it advance, Jan
-
Contrails and airport wizard
I would like to know, if Airport Wizard works with DX10, too. As I have some problems with the default lights and DX10, I would like to replace those with this tool if it would fix the problem. Can I replace the lights on all airports at once or do I have to modify everyone individually?
-
NvidiaInspector config link from How-To PDF broken
Thank you, it is working now.