Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptainCrunch

Anyone contrast PMDG 747 with Level-D 767?

Guest CaptainCrunch

I keep seeing mention of the Level-D 767 in various places. Does anyone on this newsgroup have both? I'm curious how the two sims compare with one another.I've been really enjoying PMDG 747, does Level-D offer me something that would make it worth the trouble given that I already have "the best transport class aircraft"? Do the two sims take a different approach to modelling their craft in some way? Does one have a better virtual cockpit for example or maybe level D has an online/inflight tutorial? etc. etc.

I have both but the PMDG 747 by far is my choice. Both aircraft, technically, are well rounded but the style in which PMDG designes their interface, options menus, etc... I feel is far superior to that of the LevelD 767. For example, installing new paint schemes are much easier with PMDG. If you're a diehard 767 fan then the LevelD would be a consideration to buy. To be honest, I've abandoned the PMDG 737, LevelD 767, and eaglesoft citationx for the PMDG 747.Tim Schaff

If you look for the best currently available MSFS 744 sim, use the PMDG 744. If you want the best currently available MSFS 767 sim, use the Level-D 767, simple as that.Edit: Just thought I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

I have many addon planes including the 747 a 767. Your question is one that is hard to answer because of personal tastes. In short I feel the 747 and 767 are the two best addons as far as technical accuracy and functionality goes. I prefer the 767 but I have my own reasons. I really like the 747 though. I say if money isn't tight go ahead and get the 767 and give it a try. I have found that is the only way to find out if you like it or not. Besides I think Flight 1 has a 30 day refund policy. I suspect if you get it your biggest problem will be choosing which one to fly.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

They are both excellent. For me the PMDG wins by short head. Better VC and handling of VNAV. However, the 767 has some interesting 'peripherals'. Get both.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

I'm gonna let this thread go for now because it seems like a mature discussion... do NOT however let this turn into some sort of "us vs. them" flame war, or I'm gonna have to lock it down.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

While talking about levelD 767. Do you have the ability to enter wind direction/speed into the FMC for every waypoint? Just curious cuz the queen does not have this function modelled (for what I know).I apologize if this is offensive to any1. I really don´t wanna start a war :-bigangel

With both products out and well matured now I don't think there's any room for an 'us vs. them' war anymore. The fact is that discerning airliner sim fans with their finger on the FS pulse will have both of these products and love them equally.If you don't have it, and you love the PMDG 744, then the 767 will be a sound purchase.From my perspective, the only problem is that I know that pretty much any other add-on produced by a third party is unlikely to top these two packages, with the exception of LDS's upcoming 757 and PMDG's upcoming MD/NGX/A320 packages!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I think the 763 and the 744 are the best payware a/c you can buy. In the 763, winds can be entered for individual waypoints on the RTE DATA page. It can accept entries for 3 altitudes. Joe

Joe Colao

Guest RollsRoyce

My likeness for the PMDG 744 is now heavily contingent on the new soundset. Whilst the 400F sounds are a big improvement over the 400 v.1, I still get crackling static and stuttering noises when spooling up or down. I've tried turning off hardware acceleration which solves the problem but then radar contact voices get distorted and break up! So you can't have your cake and eat it!Other than that the PMDG and LDS are both awesome products, it really depends on which plane you like flying better, the 47 or the 67 ;)Bilal

I have both as well and tend to fly both making my choice on the basis of the route flown and sometimes just for the sake of variety. As others have said, if you can afford it, get both. I would probably err on the side of the 747 but the one thing I like about the 767 that the 747 doesn't have is the ability to save a flight en route and then reload it with all the FMC data and flightplan saved You resume exactly from where you left off. The other feature is an absolutely brilliant Wingview utility that works like a dream. Again it would be nice if the 747 had that. Other than that it is much of a muchness. I love the 747 wing flex, the over head panel and the beautifully modelled and probably more functional approach to ssytems. As i say, in an ideal world get both and enjoy both.Gerry

My quesiton is in regards to the learning curve of the 767. If I consider myself very profficient in the 747 and 737NG and 777 systems how much of a hard time will I have learning to fly the 767? Is there as much of a variety on online documents and tutorials as there is on the 747 and 737?Best Regards,Victor Limahttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Cheers,
Victor M. Lima

As it is a Boeing, the transition should be fairly straightforward.Autopilot functionality is similar to the 747, FMC is similar to the 747 also.Bear in mind that the 767 is an earlier development than the 747, 737NG and 777 aircraft, so some of the technology isn't present. Still a fantastic ride though.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Both are excellent.Visually PMDG 744 has the edge, but not enough to make any real difference.System wise both are superb and faithful recreations of the respective planes. If it's on the plane it's in the plane. Support - great for both companies, no problems there. Plenty or repaints too. SIDs and STARS can be downloaded for both jets. Both allow saving and loading routes.As an overall package the 767 sneaked ahead due to excellent tutorials, but the 744 Type rating course is busy correcting even this difference.To me the question PMDG or Level-D really does come down to the features and quirks and the feel of the actual airplane.The difference is in the systems involved in the planes.The 767 has lots of standby steam guages, and has less in the way of synoptic displays. The 767 is basically a half way house between steam and glass, whereas the 744 is a full on glass cockpit.Personally I find info easier to find in the 744, and the larger displays and uncluttered 744 panels make it easier to work with, but at the same time a bit cold and clinical at times. The 767 has more character even if it is a bit harder to get the information. Lots of dials and gauges to look at.The FMC and MCP are virtually identical, allowing you to go from one to the other with ease. As are the displays giving you that familar Boeing feel straight away.I've got both and would heartily recommend either. It really is down to personal preference as to which cockpit style you prefer.Or better yet get both :)

Both, as "Stuntie" mentioned, are superb.Personally, I don't find either more difficult to use. The 767 is every bit as good as the PMDG plane all the way, the only bit I'd say it's not as good at is the 2D panel crispness at 1024x728 resoultion, but this is not really an issue at all.I find the 767 more enjoyable to fly by hand - a little more responsive than the 747 and, perhaps due to its forgiving nature of my hand-flying skills, seems more smooth to hand fly.Really - every bit as good as the PMDG product, and both complement each other really well. Sounds I may add, are the best I've heard for ages - from an "uneducated" point of view.Also the 767 has a fantastic immersion factor, both throuh sounds and visuals. For example, when an engine starts and the electricity starts to come from the engine drive, you hear a couple of clicks and see the CRT screens flicker in the flight deck as they momentarily turn off and and on again from the power transfer. Beautiful stuff - really is a great simulation.Interraction with the ground crew is required for everything such as external air and power, and fixing any failures, which is also a nice touch - as well as a number of selectable voices etc... Manual also great...okay everything's great...enough from me...Go for it!

Rudy Fidao