Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Brettlee

female pilots

I just come accross an interesting thought so i had to post this question, Is there any female pilots out there or is our passion for flying just us guys, Just a curious thought????????????

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Perhaps the same percentage of female pilots than in the RW ?I don't know the numbers, just guessing...maybe a 5% ?

Being that my wife thinks I am a major geek for this hobby I'd say the percentage is low.

>Perhaps the same percentage of female pilots than in the RW>?>>I don't know the numbers, just guessing...maybe a 5% ?I have encountered female pilots/first officers quite frequently flying as a passenger. 5% sounds like a correct number though. You do hear female pilot voices quite often on liveatc too.As for FS, I bet that percentage is much lower. Well, as James Brown once said, "This a man's world":)

Great link Dilip...BTW I see no reason while women cannot fly civi jets for a living...but fighter jets...no way! They lack the killer instinct IMHO.

>Great link Dilip...>>BTW I see no reason while women cannot fly civi jets for a>living...but fighter jets...no way! They lack the killer>instinct IMHO.Look at this. She has obtained n

>Great link Dilip...>>BTW I see no reason while women cannot fly civi jets for a>living...but fighter jets...no way! They lack the killer>instinct IMHO.There are F-16 and F-4 female pilots in the Turkish Airforce too.

>> but fighter jets...no way!There are female pilots in the RAF (fast jets, etc). Not sure about the Navy.Best regards,Robin.

I'm amazed no one here mentioned 'Starbuck'. She's the best pilot in the fleet :-)Bryan

Great minds, Bryan!I work with a lot of Navy folks, and I've met a number of female aviators. They're very skilled, and don't for a second think they don't have the killer instinct or at least the ones I've met will cut you off at the knees. They have to work harder and be better to be considered "as good as a man", and they know it.

>>BTW I see no reason while women cannot fly civi jets for a>>living...but fighter jets...no way! They lack the killer>>instinct IMHO.>>You apparently haven't met my ex-girlfriend...>>Ryan Gamurot>Lucky to live Hawai'i>>http://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.pngNow there's a guy who's never been divorced.EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9.1 on WinXPPro (SP1)

Women can actually make better fighter pilots because of their size. Their smaller size (in general) gives them higher g-tolerances (in general).Some also argue that when a woman is in the correct mindset, the maternal protection instict can kick in during battle, and #### hath no fury...While I would agree that aviation is heavily dominated by males, I would argue that the flight simming is even further male-dominated. That's not to say, however, that men should be the only pilots or flight simmers.I've seen female pilots and male pilots and both genders have their great examples and horrible examples. Gender generally has nothing to do with it.All that said, if there are any women in here, do chime in.Cheers,Kyle

Well, here is one! :Dhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192698.jpgElla is turning two in November and loves to fly with my setup. Whenever I fire up the flightsim computer, she comes running and demands to sit in my lap. I am not allowed to touch any of the controls when she is handling the yoke although she could need some help with keeping the plane in level flight! :D

Around 10% of the pilots at my airline are female. As for the sim world goes, no idea... probably a lot less. :)

My son is a real world 747 pilot (KLM). About 5% of his collegues are female, flying 737,777,747, Airbus or one of the Fokkers in the KLM fleet.rgds,Ben

>My son is a real world 747 pilot (KLM). About 5% of his>collegues are female, flying 737,777,747, Airbus or one of the>Fokkers in the KLM fleet.>>rgds,>BenHi ben,which plane does your son fly?Wijnand (EHBK)

>>My son is a real world 747 pilot (KLM). About 5% of his>>collegues are female, flying 737,777,747, Airbus or one of>the>>Fokkers in the KLM fleet.>>>>rgds,>>Ben>>>Hi ben,>>which plane does your son fly?>>Wijnand (EHBK)It says in my posting: 747rgds,Ben

>I'm amazed no one here mentioned 'Starbuck'. She's the best>pilot in the fleet :-)>>Bryan>But that's because she's a Cylon ;-)

You would be surprised how many women pilots there are in military service in many countries around the world- not just in fighters but for example, B52 drivers in the USAF.One of the most famous female military fliers was Hanna Reitsch- one of a really bad dude's personal pilots. In the final days of WWII, she flew a Storch into Berlin, landing on the main boulevard amidst bursting Russian shellfire, in a desperate attempt to rescue her Fuhrer from the Reich Chancelry bunker. A failed effort, as a really bad dude had already committed suicide.Alex Reid

Yes, you are right. Must be my age....Greetings from Heerlen!Wijnand (25 KM east of EHBK)

I know FedEx has a bunch of female pilots based at KBOS, KEWR and KMEM. You can hear one of them on a FL350 video at EGCC. Regards,Alex

>Great link Dilip...>>BTW I see no reason while women cannot fly civi jets for a>living...but fighter jets...no way! They lack the killer>instinct IMHO.That's a pretty sexist comment and I'm sure the many female fighter pilots in the world's air forces would disagree with it...